Unable to install ATI Radeon 9800 Linux driver v3.2.5

Old September 21st 03, 11:20 AM

Default Unable to install ATI Radeon 9800 Linux driver v3.2.5

Hello. I just switched from a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 to an ATI Radeon
9800 PRO (AIW) recently. I got Windows drivers and applications working.
Tonight, I uninstalled NVIDIA driver to try ATI driver.

I was unable to get Linux drivers to set work correctly. I got the
desktop working, but I don't have 3D acceleration. OpenGL screen savers
and probably games (did not bother to check) are choppy.

I am using old Red Hat Linux 7.2 (compiled Kernel 2.4.20) with most
updates (up2date and red-carpet). ATI's documents were a bit confusing,
and not easy to complete like NVIDIA's easy setup. Maybe I am doing this
all wrong. Here's are some results when I tried to install and compile
drivers:

uname -a
Linux ANTux-AXP 2.4.20 #12 Mon Aug 11 23:03:32 PDT 2003 i686 unknown

fglrx-glc22-4.1.0-3.2.5.i586.rpm:
Preparing... ##################################################
fglrx-glc22 ##################################################
*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
*** WARNING ***
Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware acclerated
OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.
*** Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
ATI module generator V 2.0
==========================
probing for VMA API version...
cleaning...
patching 'highmem.h'...
skipping patch for 'drmP.h', not needed
doing script based build for kernel 2.4.x and similar
compiling 'agpgart_be.c'...
compiling 'agp3.c'...
compiling 'i7505-agp.c'...
compiling 'nvidia-agp.c'...
compiling 'firegl_public.c'...
linking of fglrx kernel module...
duplicating results into driver repository...
done.
==============================
- creating symlink
- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel module
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
failed.
Installed: qt2 (gcc 2.96) based control panel application
===
ATI display drivers successfully installed
please run 'fglrxconfig' now
===

I tried to compile with my Kernel source (/usr/src/linux goes to
/home/ant/kernels/linux-2.4.20). When it was time to do ./make
install.sh, I got this:

- creating symlink
- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel module
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
failed.

How do I fix this? Do I really want to tamper with my Kernel sources?
Here's fglrxinfo result since I can run X11:

display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2

Here's dmesg (only listing fglrx lines):
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
[fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
[fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
[fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20a, 23:25:19 Aug 11 2003
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:0f.0
emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 7 model 0x8040 found, IO at 0x9000-0x901f, IRQ 5
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7609 (SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
[...]

That doesn't look like I have the proper installation. Any ideas on
how to fix this problem? I'd like to get my OpenGL screen savers and
games to work again. Thank you in advance.
--
"No, I'd prefer a cooler WITHOUT an ant-door, thank you..." --unknown
/\___/\
| |o o| | E-mail: NT or NT
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )
Old September 22nd 03, 12:55 AM

[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
[fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be
loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!

You have another direct rendering module loaded into your kernel (or you
have DRM support for another card compiled directly into your kernel).

cat /proc/dri/0/name

It should list for you the module you have installed.

Something like:

radeon 0xe200 PCI:1:0:0

I got tdfx 0xe200

Then do a 'rmmod radeon' (or whatever module is listed there).

I checked lsmod first:
I did not see anything related to my earlier result.

I did a rmmod tdfx, but I got "rmmod: module tdfx is not loaded."

If it says that module isn't loaded, it means that it's compiled
directly into your kernel. You *will* have to recompile the kernel in
that case. If it doesn't give an error message, then it means that that
kernel module is being loaded at some point during the boot process.
You'll have to find out where, and disable it.

I viewed my config text file and noticed tdfx was marked Y. I also set
other DRM stuff to N. I attached this section FYI.

CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_I810=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD_8151 is not set
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
CONFIG_DRM=y
# CONFIG_DRM_OLD is not set

#
# DRM 4.1 drivers
#
CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
CONFIG_DRM_I810=y
CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41=y
# CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_MWAVE is not set

I recompiled my Kernel and still had problems. Here are the results:
I removed the RPM package and reinstalled:

[...]

I tried to do the steps in "Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present
in your system." section. I still got similar errors:

ATI module generator V 2.0
==========================
probing for VMA API version...
cleaning...
patching 'highmem.h'...
skipping patch for 'drmP.h', not needed
doing script based build for kernel 2.4.x and similar
compiling 'agpgart_be.c'...
compiling 'agp3.c'...
compiling 'i7505-agp.c'...
compiling 'nvidia-agp.c'...
compiling 'firegl_public.c'...
linking of fglrx kernel module...
duplicating results into driver repository...
done.
==============================
You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
==============================

demsg said:
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
[fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
[fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
[fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20, 22:49:39 Aug 11 2003
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:0f.0
emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 7 model 0x8040 found, IO at 0x9000-0x901f, IRQ 5
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: v9(SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 802 MBytes.
[fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!

cat /proc/dri/0/name said: i810 0xe200

I don't think it is a DRM issue. I think there is a compile problem as
shown in above piped logs. I don't think Kernel source wants to be tainted.
I don't know how to fix/work around this problem. Am I reading these
errors correctly?

Thank you in advance again.
Old September 22nd 03, 02:05 AM

FYI. My Kernel 2.4.20 config is at
http://home.apu.edu/~philpi/temp/ant-kernel-ATI.txt in case I messed up in it.
Once it is resolved, I will delete it.

Old September 22nd 03, 03:52 PM
John-Paul Stewart

wrote:

Hello. I just switched from a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 to an ATI Radeon
9800 PRO (AIW) recently. I got Windows drivers and applications working.
Tonight, I uninstalled NVIDIA driver to try ATI driver.

I was unable to get Linux drivers to set work correctly. I got the
desktop working, but I don't have 3D acceleration. OpenGL screen savers
and probably games (did not bother to check) are choppy.

[snip]

FYI. My Kernel 2.4.20 config is at
http://home.apu.edu/~philpi/temp/ant-kernel-ATI.txt in case I messed up in it.
Once it is resolved, I will delete it.

I notice in the config you've built-in DRM drivers for the Intel 810
chipset. ("CONFIG_DRM_I810=y" and "CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41=y") These
are built-in (not as modules) and may well be causing the conflict with
your ATI card. In the DRM section you only need "CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y".
Turn off everything else. (Or at least build as modules so you can
remove them, but you don't need anything else AFAIK.)
Old September 22nd 03, 10:38 PM

wrote:

[...]

OK, I will try that later. I am a Kernel newbie so I don't know 75%
of the items in it. I will set CONFIG_DRM_I810 and
CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41 to N. For DRM section, I will only set
CONFIG_DRM_NEW to Y and everything else as N.

I hope this works tonight or so!! I will follow-up later.