confusion about doom3 vs HL2 benchmarks

Old September 12th 03, 03:56 AM
Sumedh

Default confusion about doom3 vs HL2 benchmarks

Hi all,

This recent controversy about Nvidia cards underperforming in HL2
benchmarks sure makes me feel good about my 9600Pro purchase, not to
mention seeing the FPS/$ chart!

Anyways, in Anandtech.com's review of the 5900 Ultra, he performed
Doom3 benchmarks, and Nvidia clearly shines compared to ATI.

Whats the discrepancy here? Doesnt Doom3 make use of DX9 features? Is
that benchmark reliable? Or are we caught up in a media hype after
Gabe Newell's damning report on nvidia?

any thoughts?

sumedh
Old September 12th 03, 04:11 AM
JAD

You know what is worse than this the AMD INTEL crap....

And thats about it ( as far as News group posts anyway)

Old September 12th 03, 08:00 AM
Lenny

Anyways, in Anandtech.com's review of the 5900 Ultra, he performed
Doom3 benchmarks, and Nvidia clearly shines compared to ATI.
Whats the discrepancy here?

The difference is that Doom3 makes heavy use of non-textured stencil buffer
pixels to a high degree in order to generate accurate shadows for all
objects. While GFFX gets its butt handed to it in most pixel shading
circumstances, it does do well when drawing stencil volumes.

Also, Doom3 features an optimized GFFX rendering path that lowers image
quality for (a lot) more speed. I'm not sure if Anand used that code path or
the standard path (I haven't read the article yet).

Doesnt Doom3 make use of DX9 features?

*Cough* Yes, and no. Doom3 is an OpenGL game, but it does make use of DX9
*level* features, yes.

Is that benchmark reliable?

I'd think so, both games are made by very reputable companies, by very
trustworthy people. D3 and HL3 are simply two very different games, that
they behave differently isn't strange. There's no reason to think either
benchmark isn't trustworthy.

Old September 12th 03, 08:44 PM

NVIDIA is quite aware of Halflife 2 results and that is the reason they have
been working with Value in developing the series 50.XX drivers which should
be released prior to the release of Halflife 2. NVIDIA does not understand
why the comments were written as they have been working together with Value
for this very reason. In addition the results shown were matched with the
series 45.XX drivers which aren't maximised for this particular game.

regards

Old September 12th 03, 09:00 PM
Richard Dower

"B" wrote in message
NVIDIA is quite aware of Halflife 2 results and that is the reason they

have
been working with Value in developing the series 50.XX drivers which

should
be released prior to the release of Halflife 2. NVIDIA does not understand
why the comments were written as they have been working together with

Value
for this very reason. In addition the results shown were matched with the
series 45.XX drivers which aren't maximised for this particular game.

"maximised"?...is that like "optimised", why do they have to do this?...it
justs leads to accusations of cheating and missing detail levels. Can't we
just get them to work and kick ATI's ass without "optimisation"?

Old September 12th 03, 09:51 PM
who be dat?

That's an interesting question. The first thing that pops into my head:
what Doom 3 benchmark? As I recall, Id hasn't released a Doom 3 Benchmark.
However, an extremely early beta of Doom 3 from an E3 preview was leaked and
floating around. Like I said, this was very early beta and it had some more
optimizing to be done to it. If this was the doom 3 benchmarks that were
posted, then these are quite frankly a waste of time as they aren't anywhere
near accurate reflection of the final code. Plus, who's to say that since
it's early beta that the game wasn't more optimized for one game as compared
to another? Since the game is in OpenGL, you in effect right the game for
each vid card. Speaking of OpenGL...

It should be pointed out that Doom3 uses OpenGL while HL2 users D3d, which
is a big difference. I think the vid actually have more capabilities
exposed in OpenGL than they do in D3d, for example. Depending on if Nvidia
has a feature that the ATi doesn't and it's exposed in their drivers, then
possibly Nvidia may perform faster than ATi. I do seem to recall that
Nvidia has the ability to handle shadows a bit better than ATi in OpenGL.

Due to the fact the games are on different subsystems, it will be tough to
draw any comparisons between two when it comes to performance.

Chris Smith