8IRXP and "OLD" reboot, BIOS problem

Old July 21st 03, 05:01 PM
Doc

Default 8IRXP and "OLD" reboot, BIOS problem

hey John,
Would 'cha believe my old faithful Matrox G400 dH just died
in this board. Now I do have to "buy" something.

ANYONE put a RADEON 9100 into the 8IRXP?
Believe it fits the '1.5 voltage specs (right?)

I'll post in a separate 'video' inquiry. Thanks.

John said this:

If you buy anything, I'd love to hear how you get on.

From the Asus newsgroup posts, it sounds like a quality brand power supply
with a high output is useful with these new 865/875 boards.

"Doc" wrote in message

My thoughts exactly.
I had let the unopened GA board sit for too long. By the
time I ran into these problems, I was 'really' ready for
the 875/ PAT boards and CPUs... but I'm temped with what you
say about the Asus board (I'd have to get better ram, running
2100 from Mushkin, nice but won't OC much...) I'll see, as
we having a computer yard sale... ;^) Thanks.

On 06/22/2003 3:47 PM, John said this:

The Asus P4B533-E is an excellent board. I have my P4 1.8A overclocked

2.7Ghz on this board using Corsair XMS 3200 CAS2 ram. The FSB is at

150mhz.

Using the "undocumented" dipswitch, the RAM is running at 400mhz. I've

also

got the Lumberjacker bios installed, so the RAID controller has been
"unlocked" to become the full version (not the Promise Lite).

Having said all that, I enjoy having a good PC, so I'd love to get one

of

the new dual bank DDR boards. Based on what I've read on

overclockers.com,

I'd pay the extra and get a 875 board (instead of 865).

There seems to be a lot of posts of people having issues with the Asus

865

and 875 boards at the moment, so I think it may be wise to sit back for

while. I haven't been following what's happening with the 865 and 875
Gigabyte boards, because after the 8IRXP problems I prefer to try a
different company. Asus have a P4C800-E just hitting the shelves. It's a
revised version of the P4C800, so I'm hoping it might have fewer issues

than

the P4C800 appears to have.

With these new 865/875 boards it seems pretty easy to take any of the

new

hyperthreaded 800 FSB cpu's and push them to 3.2Ghz or more.

Because you aren't in a hurry, you might like to wait until the end of

the
year. About then, Intel should have a new stepping of their P4 out. They

are
saying that the new stepping is likely to be overclockable to speeds
approaching 4Ghz.

Cya
"Doc" wrote in message
Hi John,
I was contemplating a 'hardware' change, but figure to buy
the 865 based boards/memory/800FSB CPU in another few months,
so didn't update the GA board.
However, I'm NOT sure that I'll use another GA board (865, etc.).
You like the Asus P4B533-E?
Thanks.

On 06/21/2003 7:42 AM, John said this:

Yes. It's definitely tough on the eyes trying to wire wrap those cpu

pins. I

had one of those big magnifying desklamp readers with a light, and it

was

still tough to see. Perhaps get someone younger to help you out. I
slipped

snipped for brevity

Hi John,
Right, saw the 'wirewrap' trick and I'd love to do it,
even tried for about 1 hour, but at 53 my eyes (with
the magnifying glass) could not do the trick...
I hate the reboot problem and , as I've been tweaking this
since installing a new HSink, I'm having to shut it off and
then restart for each change instead of just rebooting.

The F9 BIOS seems to really "HOLD" the memory timings
to a strict number. I was OCed at 150 for a 1.6a - 2.4Ghz
and was able (with F7) to run 2 -5 -2 -2 , now I can still
get that OC, but the memory times are 2.5 -5 -3 -3 (crap!)...
it is DDR2100 so (at 300 Memory speed) I shouldn't complain,
but life isn't fun then!

WISH I could see well enough to wrap this puppy! Thanks.

On 06/11/2003 8:45 AM, John said this:
It was never solved despite claims by Gigabyte that it was. The only
solution is to set the voltage back to "AUTO" in the bios, and wrap a
tiny
piece of wire around the relevant cpu pins to achieve the desired
voltage.

"Doc" wrote in message

Thanks...
I'm at 1.65 I believe... so I'm still getting the
hang on "restarts" , or sometimes a 'restart' will
work but it drops the BIOS settings to a default and
the Overclock doesn't remain (back to 1.6 then)...

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto:

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto:

Old July 21st 03, 06:46 PM
John

That's sad.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the 2D and TVout on the Radeon
compared with the G400.

Cya

John said this:

If you buy anything, I'd love to hear how you get on.

From the Asus newsgroup posts, it sounds like a quality brand power

supply