ASUS A7N8X SATA data corruption - Silicon Image 3112 - Serial ATA- BSOD

Old June 23rd 03, 11:51 PM
Señor Apellido

Default ASUS A7N8X SATA data corruption - Silicon Image 3112 - Serial ATA- BSOD

Hardwa ASUS A7N8X Motherboard (1004 Bios), Seagate 80GB SATA Hard
Drive, high quality ram, case, ps.

OS: Windows XP Pro (1.0.0.22 SiI3112A SATA drivers)

Problem: Hard drive data corruption (NTFS boot drive).

Symptoms: Windows XP Pro reboots during bootup sequence. Drive will
cause any computer that attempts to read from partition to crash.
Recovery Console BSOD with a STOP 0x00000024.

My Theory: Bad SATA drivers or bad SATA controller (SiI3112A).

Solution: Swap motherboard and SATA drive with IDE drive. The
motherboard (except for SATA drivers) might have been fine, but ASUS
does not provide enough information to determine this.

Notes: Corrupt (primary) partition was lost. Seagate's bootable utility
cd exits to a DOS prompt after loading SATA drivers, so you can delete
the bad partition using fdisk. Do not try to get partition information
of bad parition using fdisk (http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/). After
bad partition was deleted, drive was recognized and accessible as a
second disk.

NTFSDOS can be used to access an NTFS partition from DOS
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../NTFSDOS.shtml).

Conclusion: This is the first problem I have had with ASUS, and I might
buy another motherboard from them. I would never purchase another
product that includes hardware or software from Silicon Image.

Old June 24th 03, 02:04 AM
koop

Sorry, I cannot help with your problem but I wanted to thank you for the
NTFSDOS link, I am going to find it incredibly useful. For what is it worth
Tom's Hardware benchmarked the SiI3112A as the fastest SATA controller out
there, of course that is no comment on their mass production QA process...Do
you know for sure it is not a bum drive?

Good Luck,

Koop

--
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=905761
XP 2500+ @ 11.5*200

.. .

Old June 24th 03, 02:20 AM
Dave Melvin

[...]

Upgrade to the latest BIOS and Sil driver (1.0.0.281) and the problem has
disappeared. I had this issue with Maxtor drives with SATA/IDE adapters,
switched to Seagate 120 SATA drives, upgraded the BIOS/Driver and all works
fine now running RAID.

Dave Melvin

Old June 24th 03, 08:53 AM
Mike Bernstein

I should add: do not use the 100281 drivers, they give very poor write
speeds.

"Mike Bernstein" wrote in message
Early drivers and BIOSs gave this problem. Use the latest of each and it
will go away. The latest drivers are the 10033s on the Silicon Image
website:

http://www.siliconimage.com/home.asp

and the latest BIOS 4.2.12, which you either get with the Uber BIOS

version
on:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.mcclay/

or modify the ASUS BIOS yourself, if you know what you are doing, using

the
Sil BIOS from the Silicon Image site.

. com...

Old June 24th 03, 11:06 AM
Nom

"Dave Melvin" wrote in message
. com...
Upgrade to the latest BIOS and Sil driver (1.0.0.281) and the problem has
disappeared. I had this issue with Maxtor drives with SATA/IDE adapters,
switched to Seagate 120 SATA drives, upgraded the BIOS/Driver and all

works
fine now running RAID.

Do *NOT* install the .281 driver. It cripples your write speed, and you need
to MANUALLY remove it, in order to change to a different version.

It was released as a temporary fix for the corruption-issue, but there's now
no need for it - the corruption issue is sorted with the latest BIOS.

http://web.newsguy.com/nomnet/silicon_v10029.zip is the driver you should be
using.

Old June 25th 03, 07:14 AM
Señor Apellido

Señor Apellido wrote:
[...]

For what it's worth, Silicon Image claims that the problem is with the
ASUS BIOS. I should not have been able to purchase a new motherboard
with a known bug this severe. Maybe it is time to switch to a Mac...I
just want my f**king hardware to work!

Old June 25th 03, 07:23 AM
Señor Apellido

Nom wrote:
"Señor Apellido" wrote in message
.. .

Hardwa ASUS A7N8X Motherboard (1004 Bios), Seagate 80GB SATA Hard
Drive, high quality ram, case, ps.

OS: Windows XP Pro (1.0.0.22 SiI3112A SATA drivers)

Problem: Hard drive data corruption (NTFS boot drive).

The problem is cured with the VERY LATEST BIOS.

Flash it, then reformat ALL your drives, and reinstall Windows XP. Use the
.29 SATA driver from here http://web.newsguy.com/nomnet/silicon_v10029.zip

Other than the corrupted partition, why is it necessary to reformat all
drives?

Old June 25th 03, 09:35 AM
Nom

Nom wrote:
"Señor Apellido" wrote in message
.. .

Hardwa ASUS A7N8X Motherboard (1004 Bios), Seagate 80GB SATA Hard
Drive, high quality ram, case, ps.

OS: Windows XP Pro (1.0.0.22 SiI3112A SATA drivers)

Problem: Hard drive data corruption (NTFS boot drive).

The problem is cured with the VERY LATEST BIOS.

Flash it, then reformat ALL your drives, and reinstall Windows XP. Use

the
.29 SATA driver from here

http://web.newsguy.com/nomnet/silicon_v10029.zip

Other than the corrupted partition, why is it necessary to reformat all
drives?

Because you need to remove the corruption that's already present.
If you want to miss out this step, then go ahead. But it's likely you'll run
into problems later.

Old June 25th 03, 09:36 AM
Nom

Señor Apellido wrote:
[...]

It is, and the latest BIOS fixes it.

I should not have been able to purchase a new motherboard
with a known bug this severe.

Er, the bug is fixed.