Solution - Windows Media Player Disabled CD Burning in Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum.

Old August 24th 03, 12:39 AM
Adrian

Default Solution - Windows Media Player Disabled CD Burning in Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum.

Having unwittingly installed WMP9 in XP Pro and found that I couldn't
uninstall it, I also discovered that Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum no
longer recognised by CD burner although WMP9 did.

Here's what to do to get ECDC working again in XP after WMP9 has been
installed:-

1. Set a Restore Point in XP (I've learned my lesson!) via
Start|Programs|Accessories|System Tools|System Restore. Back up the
Registry as well, in case anything goes wrong.
2. Completely uninstall ECDC5 Platinum through the Control Panel
(Add/Remove Programs)
3. Reboot
4. Use Windows Explorer to remove the folder "C:\Program
Files\Adaptec"
5. Use Windows Explorer to remove the folder "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Adaptec Shared"
6. Use REGEDIT and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adaptec
7. Delete the Key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adaptec (this will also
delete all it's sub entries)
8. Use Windows Explorer to locate the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers"
folder
9. Make a new sub-folder (I call mine "Old"). Can be anywhere you
like.
10. Find the following files in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers"
folder and move them to the "Old" folder you just created:-

CDR4_XP.SYS
CDRALW2K.SYS
CDUDF_XP.SYS

11 Reboot
12. When XP reboots, it will tell you that it can't find some drivers
and warn that your CD drives may not work. It will ask you if you
want to delete the Registry Entry for each driver. Answer "Yes". The
"error" will probably appear 3 times. Answer yes every time. Your CD
drives won't then be visible in "My Computer", but never fear….
13. Reboot
14. Reinstall ECDC and if you have a program update or driver update,
run them too.
15. Reboot (Voila! My ECDC Platinum 5 now works again!).
16. Set another Restore Point as per step 1.

I tried also using WMP9 (twice) to burn a re-writable disk but it gave
me an error that said: "Windows Media Player has encountered an
unknown error with your recordable disk." So it seems it's now the
one with the incompatibility problem. It plays audio files ok but
won't burn CDs. I really don't care. I've got ECDC back again. Also
Nero 6 still works OK too.

Cheers
Old August 24th 03, 01:02 AM
smh

Your problem reminds me of the time when WMP7 was released and it
promptly killed Easy Coaster Creator 4.

The burn engine that came with WMP7 was incompatible, very mildly put,
with Easy CD CreMator 4, even though the burn engine was cRoxio's.

Suspect that WMP9 burn engine is incompatible with Easy Coaster Creator
5.

Old August 24th 03, 06:25 AM
Music4U2

I have had every creation of EZ Creator and haven't any problems with
a conflict with Media player from Win 98 to XP Home & Pro, P166 to a
P4 When I open Creator and if Media Player is running, Creator gives
a warning.

JohnC

Old August 24th 03, 07:33 AM
smh

=======================
From: Adrian Miller (Acraptec)
Subject: Windows Media Player Ask article
Date: 7/27/00

There is now an article in ASK on the Windows Media Player 7/Windows
2000 issue. The article # 000726-0003 is now public and contains a
*.reg file to fix the registry instead of going through the
uninstall/reinstall process.

=======================
From: "Adrian Miller (cRoxio)
Subject: Conflicts between Easy CD 4 deluxe and Windows Media player 7
Date: 2/25/01

I have heard that there are conflicts between Easy CD 4 deluxe and Windows
Media player 7. Is this true?

On ECDC 4.02e and above, no.
=======================

Old August 25th 03, 03:12 PM
Adrian

The problem with WMP9 in XP seems to be that it uses file names for
its burn engine that are exactly the same as the ones in ECDC (no
surprise since Roxio wrote them for both).

Installing WMP9 overwrites the ECDC driver files with its own (but
Roxio written) version and the reinstall of ECDC over the top of that
finds the burn engine files already there and won't replace them with
its own versions. Nice one Microsoft and Roxio, nice one!

Adrian
Old August 25th 03, 11:52 PM
smh

Adrian wrote:

The problem with WMP9 in XP seems to be that it uses file names for
its burn engine that are exactly the same as the ones in ECDC (no
surprise since Roxio wrote them for both).

Installing WMP9 overwrites the ECDC driver files with its own (but
Roxio written) version

That's nothing new:
=====================================
From: one2one
Subject: windows mediaplayer nr 7
Date: 7/28/00

Just found out that a combination of Easy CD Creator & Microsoft
Windows Media Player 7 creates a conflict.

Media Player 7 overwrites important files of Easy CD Creator.

But this is new:

and the reinstall of ECDC over the top of that
finds the burn engine files already there and won't replace them with
its own versions.

In the wmp7/ezcd4 days, uninstall/reinstall was one of the fix, IIRC.

Nice one Microsoft and Roxio, nice one!

Think they outdid themselves with wmp9. Nice one, indeed!