Help needed system keeps freezing

Old September 29th 03, 06:30 PM
Jamie

Default Help needed system keeps freezing

Hiya,

I have a home built PC it keeps freezing every few minutes. I tried to
reinstall my OS but that too keeps freezing. I moved my hard drive to
another system to test and its working just fine. I have 2 sticks of RAM I
took both of them out and put them back in one at a time and it still froze.
What could the problem? I also took out all of the cards too,sound,
NIC..ect I just have the video card and ram in. Same thing happens

SYS Specs:
AMD 1.5
MSI Board K7T266 Pro2
384 MB Ram
Gainward GeForce4 128MB Ram

Thanks

Jamie

Old September 29th 03, 07:30 PM
Pccomputerdr

Even though it may not seem directly related to your problem, updating the bios
on your motherboard solves some unknown issues. I mean, it is always plus to
update your bios if there is any update available for your motherboard. Check
the website of your motherboard manufacturer to see if there is a bios update
available.

Before updating the bios, first go into cmos and set everything to default.
Maybe not knowing, you played around with some kind of setting, and
consequently caused some instability issue. Go into cmos and set everything to
default and boot up the operating system and see if you will have the same
problem.

You indicated you have 2 modules of ram. Are those identical in speed and from
the same manufacturer?

You also said that you removed all the components other than video card and
memory modules. If not all, in most cases the problem might be related to video
cards. If you have another video card, put some other video card and boot up
the computer. I think the problem is either related to some awkward setting in
bios or the video card itself.

Good luck!
Old September 29th 03, 08:17 PM
Bob Day

"Jamie" wrote in message
. net...
Hiya,

I have a home built PC it keeps freezing every few minutes. I tried to
reinstall my OS but that too keeps freezing. I moved my hard drive to
another system to test and its working just fine. I have 2 sticks of RAM

took both of them out and put them back in one at a time and it still

froze.
What could the problem? I also took out all of the cards too,sound,
NIC..ect I just have the video card and ram in. Same thing happens

SYS Specs:
AMD 1.5
MSI Board K7T266 Pro2
384 MB Ram
Gainward GeForce4 128MB Ram

Overheating maybe? Check your CPU and case temps.
Make sure all the fans inside the case are working. If it's
been a while, dust them out.

It's unlikely that both RAM modules are bad, but you
might check. Download memtest86 from
http://www.memtest86.com and run it for a few passes.
you should get zero errors.

Is it the correct memory? Check at
http://www.crucial.com.

Make sure our memory modules are compatible:
Download "AIDA32 - Personal" from:
http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
and install and run it. Click on the '+' next to
"Motherboard", then on "SPD", then on each "Device
Description". The characteristics it lists for your memory
modules should match, except for size.

-- Bob Day

Old September 29th 03, 09:05 PM
Jamie

Whets weird is there is a post from yesterday...subject "Had to underclock".
He has pretty much the same setup as I do, so and was having the same
problems. I undercloked my system and it working again. Strange because
I've been running on this speed for at least 18 months.
Ideas?

--
Jamie
If you think you can...you are right.
"Bob Day" wrote in message
"Jamie" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old September 30th 03, 08:25 AM
.Aba

If I were a betting person I'd take a careful look at the PSU. NOT the
software voltage values but from a good VOM.

Old September 30th 03, 06:56 PM
Jamie

OK... It seems that I CANT copy any of my files to another partition OR my
burner without my machine freezing. Any Ideas?

Old September 30th 03, 07:41 PM
Shep©

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:56:05 GMT, In this world we created "Jamie"
wrote :

OK... It seems that I CANT copy any of my files to another partition OR my
burner without my machine freezing. Any Ideas?

What O/S?
Have you installed the mother board drivers pack if required?

[...]

Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply
Free songs download,
Old September 30th 03, 08:00 PM
Jamie

I'm using WinXP Pro... I haven't installed any updates for my mobo in
awhile. I will try that.

Floppy freezing system? BobK General 12 May 19th 04 02:49 PM
help needed building AMD 64bit system Beowulf General 2 April 19th 04 05:03 PM
Help needed: problem installing XP on new system GJ General 26 March 1st 04 10:04 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking 333 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
Prime95 freezing system Frank Jelenko Overclocking AMD Processors 4 November 19th 03 04:21 PM