2 PCI-Express graphics cards on a P5W64 WS Pro ?

Old July 8th 07, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Christian[_2_]

Default 2 PCI-Express graphics cards on a P5W64 WS Pro ?

I need some help, because I do not know how/where to put my 2 graphics on my
ASUS motherboard.
My desired setup is the P5W64 WS Pro motherboard and 2 graphic cards Leadtek
7800GTX.
I know I need this SLI bridge so I still have to buy it. But to buy it, I
first need to know where I need to install the 2 cards because that affects
the bridging distance.
My initial study seems that they both have to go into the slots PCIEX16_1
and PCIEX16_2. I don't know if that's correct?
If it is correct, then I do nowhere find an SLI bridge which is as short as
apr 2 cm (less than na inch) to bridge 2 neighbouring slots.
TIA for a helping advise...

Old July 8th 07, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

It's... complicated:
http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherbo...5w64ws/4.shtml

Old July 8th 07, 06:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Christian' wrote:
| I need some help, because I do not know how/where to put my 2 graphics on
my
| ASUS motherboard.
| My desired setup is the P5W64 WS Pro motherboard and 2 graphic cards
Leadtek
| 7800GTX.
| I know I need this SLI bridge so I still have to buy it. But to buy it, I
| first need to know where I need to install the 2 cards because that
affects
| the bridging distance.
| My initial study seems that they both have to go into the slots PCIEX16_1
| and PCIEX16_2. I don't know if that's correct?
| If it is correct, then I do nowhere find an SLI bridge which is as short
as
| apr 2 cm (less than na inch) to bridge 2 neighbouring slots.
| TIA for a helping advise...
_____

The good news is that you don't need an SLI bridge. The bad news is that
your motherboard does not support SLI. Intel chipsets do not support SLI,
only nVidia chipsets do.

Phil Weldon

Old July 8th 07, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Christian wrote:
I need some help, because I do not know how/where to put my 2 graphics on my
ASUS motherboard.
My desired setup is the P5W64 WS Pro motherboard and 2 graphic cards Leadtek
7800GTX.
I know I need this SLI bridge so I still have to buy it. But to buy it, I
first need to know where I need to install the 2 cards because that affects
the bridging distance.
My initial study seems that they both have to go into the slots PCIEX16_1
and PCIEX16_2. I don't know if that's correct?
If it is correct, then I do nowhere find an SLI bridge which is as short as
apr 2 cm (less than na inch) to bridge 2 neighbouring slots.
TIA for a helping advise...

If you wish to drive four monitors, you don't need the SLI bridge.
You should be able to install two graphics cards, and drive two
monitors with each one.

Paul
Old July 9th 07, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Christian[_2_]

Gosh ... that's terrible news! I had just bought a second identical graphics
card with NVidia chipset.
Can I really not make this to work? Wasn't there some talk about a modified
NVidia driver or something?
Otherwise it seems that I was spending my money for nothing!

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
k.net...
_____

Old July 9th 07, 06:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Christian' wrote:
| Gosh ... that's terrible news! I had just bought a second identical
graphics
| card with NVidia chipset.
| Can I really not make this to work? Wasn't there some talk about a
modified
| NVidia driver or something?
| Otherwise it seems that I was spending my money for nothing!

No, won't work in SLI (though as someone posted earlier, you can USE two
nVidia PCI-E cards, but not in SLI, and not for the same monitor.)

You need a new motherboard with an nVidia 650i or 680i chipset for your
Intel CPU - an ASUS P5N-E runs about $130 US. (And the nVidia video
graphics cards must use the same chipset - if the two cards run a different
speeds, both will run at the lower speeds - if the two cards have differing
amounts of memory, both will use the lesser amount.)

Measure twice, cut once.

Phil Weldon

| |
| |

Old July 9th 07, 06:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
GMAN[_3_]

In article , "Christian" wrote:
Gosh ... that's terrible news! I had just bought a second identical graphics
card with NVidia chipset.
Can I really not make this to work? Wasn't there some talk about a modified
NVidia driver or something?
Otherwise it seems that I was spending my money for nothing!

Just upgrade to another motherboard if you truely want nVidia based video SLI.

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
nk.net...
_____

Old July 10th 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=302
http://steffbard.com/drv_04/84.56_mod2.exe

Modified drivers are available. The last stable modified driver was 84.56,
from Sept. 2006. For the 7800GTX it should work fine, with or *without* the
SLI bridge.

p5w64 pro George Asus Motherboards 0 March 11th 07 10:20 AM
pci express x8 graphics cards? rckeller General Hardware 1 April 24th 05 12:35 AM
Non-PCI Express Graphics Card in a PCI Express slot? aether Asus Motherboards 9 March 21st 05 07:07 PM
Non-PCI Express Graphics Card in a PCI Express slot? aether General Hardware 7 March 21st 05 02:00 AM
Non-PCI Express Graphics Card in a PCI Express slot? aether Intel 7 March 21st 05 02:00 AM