Windows Media Player vs. Real Player

Old December 12th 05, 11:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Windows Media Player vs. Real Player

I use Windows Media Player and I'm satisfied with it (my needs are not
extensive-- I just play a CD/DVD every so often).

I keep getting these annoying alerts to update Real Player. When I check
Preferences in Real Player, my only option is to turn off Notification for
30 days.

Anyway, is there a way to turn off notification, period.

Do I even need Real Player?? Is it better than Windows Media Player.

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 and also a Dell Desktop 2400.

Your opinions on these media players, please.

Mel

Old December 13th 05, 12:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Real Player is known for being loaded with spyware and crap. There are not
too many videos on the internet that are available to view only using Real
Player. I deleted my Real Player, and I haven't missed much.

Old December 13th 05, 12:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"MZB" wrote in message
I use Windows Media Player and I'm satisfied with it (my needs are not
extensive-- I just play a CD/DVD every so often).

I keep getting these annoying alerts to update Real Player. When I check
Preferences in Real Player, my only option is to turn off Notification for
30 days.

Anyway, is there a way to turn off notification, period.

Do I even need Real Player?? Is it better than Windows Media Player.

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 and also a Dell Desktop 2400.

Your opinions on these media players, please.

Mel

If you don't use Real Player and are annoyed by the update notification,
just uninstall it.

Old December 13th 05, 05:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"MZB" wrote in message
I use Windows Media Player and I'm satisfied with it (my needs are not
extensive-- I just play a CD/DVD every so often).

I keep getting these annoying alerts to update Real Player. When I check
Preferences in Real Player, my only option is to turn off Notification for
30 days.

Anyway, is there a way to turn off notification, period.

Do I even need Real Player?? Is it better than Windows Media Player.

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 and also a Dell Desktop 2400.

Your opinions on these media players, please.

Mel

Uninstall it. You could then (only when needed) download a version of
RealPlayer 10 basic, but not until you need it. I only have RP on my system
for the few streaming audio or audio clips links that require it. Otherwise,
I prefer Media Player.

Stew

Old December 13th 05, 10:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

S.Lewis wrote:

Uninstall it. You could then (only when needed) download a version of
RealPlayer 10 basic, but not until you need it. I only have RP on my
system for the few streaming audio or audio clips links that require
it.

And even then you should not use it ;-)

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Old December 13th 05, 06:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks for all the comments.
I just checked my Startup menu and found that real player was checked. I
unchecked that, so it should eliminate the problem without having to
uninstall it... I assume?

Mel

"Hans S" wrote in message
. ..

Old December 13th 05, 11:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"MZB" wrote in message
Thanks for all the comments.
I just checked my Startup menu and found that real player was checked. I
unchecked that, so it should eliminate the problem without having to
uninstall it... I assume?

Mel

Perhaps or at least temporarily. (Apple) QuickTime does this: you disable
it from system startup, but once you use QT for some clip it re-enables at
the next boot.

Take your pick.

Stew

Old December 13th 05, 11:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Stew:

I bet that's how it got checked then.

When I frst got my Dell, I looked through the Startup and unchecked a bunch
of stuff. I probably did uncheck it, and it got re-checked... perhaps.

Mel

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .