ATI Radeon X600 SE or nVidia GeForce 6800: need quick answer, thanks

Old July 27th 05, 12:54 AM
JEC

Default ATI Radeon X600 SE or nVidia GeForce 6800: need quick answer, thanks

I am asking the same question at the ati newsgroup. I don't want a war
between the two names, just want to know which card I should go with.

I am doing a configure to order system (which I want to process asap)
and I can get:
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
or
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800 add $140
other options are
128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
subtract $40
or
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X850 XT add $500
(this one is out of the question, too expensive)

I'll be hooking it up to a 20" wide screen lcd. I don't do intense
gaming except on rare occasion, but I do use photoshop a lot for digital
imaging. Which card will do? Why is the 6800 more expensive for what
looks like the same memory as the Radeon x600?

Thanks for any help!
Old July 27th 05, 03:20 AM
First of One

The 6800 is easily twice as fast as the X600 SE in games, simple as that.
Few games can take advantage of 256 MB of video memory. The ones that do
will bring the X600 to its knees anyway. :-)

For 2D work the X600SE is more than fast enough, however. Again the 256 MB
of memory is just dead weight. 8 MB is enough for even the most demanding 2D
work.