SLI 128MB 6600GT or 256MB 6800GT

Old June 27th 05, 04:02 PM
Dragoncarer

Default SLI 128MB 6600GT or 256MB 6800GT

??
Which is a better option:

2x 128MB 6600GTs in SLI
or
1x 256MB 6800GT

(considering all things equal, eg memory speed etc.)

Old June 27th 05, 04:29 PM
Stoneskin

Dragoncarer left a note on my windscreen which said:

??
Which is a better option:

2x 128MB 6600GTs in SLI
or
1x 256MB 6800GT

(considering all things equal, eg memory speed etc.)

Personally I would opt for an SLI capable motherboard (Asus A8N) and buy
a single 6800GT.

My reasoning would be that while games which take full advantage of SLI
(Far Cry for example) will probably perform better on a 6600GT SLI
system the difference will not be too great. Games which do not take
advantage of SLI at all (GTA:SA) will be faster.

Plus this will leave you an upgrade route to 6800GT SLI in the future
when the prices for that card comes down, assuming you can find an
identical model.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Old June 27th 05, 09:03 PM
Cuzman

Dragoncarer wrote:

" Which is a better option: 2x 128MB 6600GTs in SLI or 1x 256MB 6800GT
(considering all things equal, eg memory speed etc.) "

Not all games support SLI, and you would only get the performance of a
single 6600GT in those. http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_game.html

I think it would be better to buy a 256MB 6800GT, especially one from a
manufacturer also selling SLI motherboards. There will be much more
pressure on them to continue supplying the 6800GT throughout 2006. You
can then add another one, by which time they will be a little cheaper too.

The following article gives a performance comparison between a number of
single and SLI-configured cards.
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1...i/index.x?pg=1

Old June 28th 05, 04:45 AM
Dragoncarer

"Stoneskin" wrote in message
Dragoncarer left a note on my windscreen which said:

??
Which is a better option:

2x 128MB 6600GTs in SLI
or
1x 256MB 6800GT

(considering all things equal, eg memory speed etc.)

Personally I would opt for an SLI capable motherboard (Asus A8N) and buy
a single 6800GT.

That's what I'm planning for! So that's good you're thinking the same
thing - validation!

My reasoning would be that while games which take full advantage of SLI
(Far Cry for example) will probably perform better on a 6600GT SLI
system the difference will not be too great. Games which do not take
advantage of SLI at all (GTA:SA) will be faster.

Plus this will leave you an upgrade route to 6800GT SLI in the future
when the prices for that card comes down, assuming you can find an
identical model.

Or a newer card range...which brings me to: Will a 7000 series card work on
a current nForce 4 chipset MB? (IE., the A8N-SLI Deluxe).

--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

Old June 28th 05, 04:47 AM
Dragoncarer

"Cuzman" wrote in message
Dragoncarer wrote:

" Which is a better option: 2x 128MB 6600GTs in SLI or 1x 256MB 6800GT
(considering all things equal, eg memory speed etc.) "

Not all games support SLI, and you would only get the performance of a
single 6600GT in those. http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_game.html

I think it would be better to buy a 256MB 6800GT, especially one from a
manufacturer also selling SLI motherboards. There will be much more
pressure on them to continue supplying the 6800GT throughout 2006. You
can then add another one, by which time they will be a little cheaper too.

But I'll need to buy an SLI-capable 6800GT if I want to add another one down
the track, won't I? Or will there be bridgey-converstion type doodads for
that at some stage? This is where I'm most confused by SLI...

Old June 28th 05, 09:45 AM
Stoneskin

Dragoncarer left a note on my windscreen which said:

Or a newer card range...which brings me to: Will a 7000 series card work on
a current nForce 4 chipset MB? (IE., the A8N-SLI Deluxe).

Yes.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Old June 28th 05, 01:49 PM
Dragoncarer

"Stoneskin" wrote in message
Dragoncarer left a note on my windscreen which said:

Or a newer card range...which brings me to: Will a 7000 series card work
on
a current nForce 4 chipset MB? (IE., the A8N-SLI Deluxe).

Yes.

Ta.

--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

Old June 28th 05, 11:49 PM
Dan

All geforce 6600GT's and 6800 series are SLI capable

Dan

Old June 29th 05, 12:24 AM
Cuzman

Dragoncarer wrote:

" But I'll need to buy an SLI-capable 6800GT if I want to add another
one down the track, won't I? Or will there be bridgey-converstion type
doodads for that at some stage? This is where I'm most confused by SLI... "

All cards with a 6600, 6660GT, 6800LE, 6800, 6800GT, 6800 Ultra or 7800
GTX GPU have the SLI connection on them. The bridge to connect them
both is included with all SLI-capable motherboards.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build.html

Old June 29th 05, 06:09 AM
Dragoncarer

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

*does double take*

You mean...really...but...oh wow. Oh very wow.

So why do some manufacturer's list a board as '6800GT SLI' or somesuch, and
others not? Is it just a silly nisnomer, then? This is wonderful. Thankyou
very much.