Acronis Vista Restore Didn't Work

Old April 7th 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Phil

Default Acronis Vista Restore Didn't Work

"Journey" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 18:11:24 -0400, "Phil"
wrote:

I assume that you have an Acronis boot CD. If so, just start over, and
only
restore your C: (set to active) partition and MBR. Restore the OS and then
the MBR, in two separate operations. If you have any secondary HDDs, it
may
help to disconnect them before booting with the Acronis media.

-phil

Sounds good. Now when I restore the OS first, do I need to take
sizing into account, in order to have room for the MBR? I am going to
do another backup / recovery later in the day using this info.

As long as the image file is not larger than the target partition, it should
work just fine. You need not take into account the size of the MBR, as it is
not part of the partition. The MBR is located at cylinder 0, head 0, on the
first sector of the HDD, and contains the descriptions of all that HDD's
partitions.

-phil

Old April 7th 07, 11:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Phil

wrote:

[...]

That last sentence should have ended with:

....and contains the descriptions of all that HDD's physical (not logical)
partitions.

-phil

Old April 7th 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pen

"Journey" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 18:12:58 -0400, "pen"
wrote:

If I read this post of yours correctly that you installed XP
onto
a drive
that had vista on it previously, then that is exactly a scenario
that won't work.
vistabootpro will help you there.

OK, it's been working flawlessly for a week or so. Am I lucky
or is
there a bomb waiting to happen?

No your lucky. Should be fine. What works best is a scenario where
vista is installed after XP.

Old April 7th 07, 11:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 16:50:36 -0500, Journey wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 16:18:36 -0500, RnR wrote:

Journey, no offense but you are confirming why I want to stay away
from Vista as long as possible. Don't misunderstand, I'm NOT
blaming you but rather learning from you that it's not worth my effort
unbugging MS's messed up new OS. Oh yeah, get some sleep grin.

Actually I didn't plan on going to Vista till at least SP1 anyway but
I'm not sure if I should wait even longer now. I haven't heard any
WOW from anyone.

If you have two hard drives, you can safely (as far as I know) install
to each and enable and disable in the bios. There is probably a more
elegant way.

In my case I did a Vista image restore. It's either my incomplete
understanding of something, maybe I missed something when creating the
image, or maybe I need to download an update from Acronis.

One of the payoffs for me of doing all this is that I continue to
learn useful things.

The sooner I can get into Vista, even if it's a secondary option, the
more I will be able to understand and take in what I read because.

I don't know if this will help but see April pc mag pg. 84 .
Old April 7th 07, 11:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:38:14 -0400, "Phil"
wrote:

"RnR" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 16:01:05 -0500, Journey wrote:

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 16:39:26 -0400, "pen" wrote:

Vista uses a new MBR which messes up XP. Get Vistabootpro and fix
it.
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

P.S. -- would this tool have aided in my restoring my Vista image? I
thought an image was an exact image of the disk and that if in the
boot sequence it would be OK if restored.

Journey, no offense but you are confirming why I want to stay away
from Vista as long as possible. Don't misunderstand, I'm NOT
blaming you but rather learning from you that it's not worth my effort
unbugging MS's messed up new OS. Oh yeah, get some sleep grin.

Actually I didn't plan on going to Vista till at least SP1 anyway but
I'm not sure if I should wait even longer now. I haven't heard any
WOW from anyone.

Journey's problem has absolutely nothing to do with Vista, and is likely due
to an incomplete restoration of the active partition and MBR.

The major problem that comes with a new OS is the inevitability that many
people will make the jump without any clue as to what they are doing. People
just blindly expect the new OS to work flawlessly with all their legacy
hardware and software. When reality comes flooding in, they blame the OS,
and not their own impulsive decision-making process. It's also rather
humorous how many people look to SP1 as this panacea, as if SP1 is going to
somehow make proper nVidia, HP, or Creative drivers magically appear. Folks,
if your hardware doesn't have proper Vista drivers, or your software
applications aren't Vista ready, you will have problems. Otherwise, Vista
will run better than any previous vanilla release of a MS OS. (The migration
from XP to Vista has been a lot smoother than 2000 to XP.)

-phil

Well for starters hopefully SP1 will fix the buggy installer. Usually
SP1 has fixed bugs in each OS, nothing more.
Old April 7th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Phil

wrote:

"RnR" wrote in message ...
[...]

For the most part, I have not had any real problems with the installer. It's
just the occasional problem it has recognizing "a suitable drive" when there
are multiple drives available. Other than that, I haven't had a single
problem with Vista, on my rig.

If you're curious whether Vista will run smoothly on your system, you can
try it fror free, if you you can get your hands on a Vista DVD. When
installing, you can choose to not enter a key and activate. The resulting
installing will be unrestricted for a period of 30 days. Also, you can reset
this 30 day trial 3 times, by entering a short command into the run dialog:
slmgr.vbs -rearm

Just make sure that all your hardware has Vista drivers.

-phil

Old April 8th 07, 12:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

wrote:

"RnR" wrote in message ...
[...]

No thank you phil, I'll just wait till SP1 or later. Sounds too
non-WOW for my needs. I guess I don't know what I'm missing or not
missing since XP and 3rd party wares fill my needs grin.
Old April 8th 07, 01:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

I assume that you have an Acronis boot CD. If so, just start over, and only
restore your C: (set to active) partition and MBR. Restore the OS and then
the MBR, in two separate operations. If you have any secondary HDDs, it may
help to disconnect them before booting with the Acronis media.

-phil

Phil -- your instructions worked. I took an image of Vista on Hard
drive 2, then turned Hard drive 2 off in the bios, and did a restore
to hard drive 3 (which had no prior OS). All drives are 250G.

It's strange that doing a whole drive image doesn't work but the OS
and MBR only in separate operations does.

Thanks!
Old April 8th 07, 01:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Phil

wrote:

I assume that you have an Acronis boot CD. If so, just start over, and
only
restore your C: (set to active) partition and MBR. Restore the OS and then
the MBR, in two separate operations. If you have any secondary HDDs, it
may
help to disconnect them before booting with the Acronis media.

-phil

Phil -- your instructions worked. I took an image of Vista on Hard
drive 2, then turned Hard drive 2 off in the bios, and did a restore
to hard drive 3 (which had no prior OS). All drives are 250G.

It's strange that doing a whole drive image doesn't work but the OS
and MBR only in separate operations does.

Thanks!

Great!

Yeah, Acronis True Image seems to have have some issues, but does the job
very nicely, in the end. I have found that restoring is much more reliable
and error-free when doing a single partition at a time.

-phil

Old April 8th 07, 05:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pongo Potts

"Journey" wrote in message
I took an image of my Vista C: drive prior to replacing Vista on my
XPS 410 with a fresh install of XP. I backed up all partitions on the
C: drive.

Since then I added two hard drives. My plan is to have XP on one
drive, Vista on another, and a 3rd for data. I will disable either
the XP or Vista drive in the bios when wanting to switch between the
OS's

I ran into problems when I tried to restore the Vista image to one of
the two new hard drives. Everything seemed to restore OK but when I
tried to boot from it I wasn't able to. I tried everything, different
combinations, restoring only C:. Upon booting a dialog came up asking
if I wanted to repair the installation, restore to a prior system
restore point, and use the Dell recovery partition.

It even went into the Dell recovery partition and restored and said it
was successful, but it wouldn't boot correctly, so it really wasn't
successful.

This was an all-nighter effort. Not really worth it if all I wanted
to do was install Vista. A fresh install is much easier. This was,
however, instended to be a test of my "disaster recovery" procedure. I
wanted to be sure I could do it in a non-emergency situation so that
if things get corrputed in the future I know I can rely on backups.
So, right now I don't have faith in my ability to take backup images
that I can restore to.

I will check the Acronis site to see if there are Vista updates. I
assumed not since I bought it not too long ago, but that is the first
thing I should have checked.

On the positive side, doing a fresh install of Vista was the easiest
install I have ever done. I don't know if the Vista Business CD from
Dell has drivers on that CD. If not, Windows did a great job of
identifying things.

I thought Acronis stated V10 was the only version compatible with
Vista......you have not mentioned what version you used.