How do you make small pixel photos better on printout?

Old January 28th 04, 04:31 AM

Default How do you make small pixel photos better on printout?

I got a bunch of photos that are only 560x700 or so and when I print
them on 8 x 11 the features are not very fine. How can I improve on
it?
Old January 28th 04, 07:12 PM
Alan

"Carrie Lyons" wrote in message ...
I've got an unusual suggestion.

Print out the picture at its natural size on photo paper.

Using good lighting, take a hi-res picture of the picture.
A 3.4 megapixel or greater camera, possibly using a closeup lens.

Print that out at a larger size, a size that still seems to
have all the detail. Repeat until you get the size you want.

I'm not sure why this works, but it does.

If you have PhotoShop or something similar, you can achieve the same
effect with various filters, much faster. For instance, Gaussian blur
with a radius of 1-2 pixels (experiment: undo, redo to get the right
figure); (that achieves the smoothing out that printing and
photographing does) or descreening; then sharpening and adjusting
contrast. After all, the idea of PhotoShop is to provide digital
methods to do all the photo manipulation in seconds that would have
taken hours in the lab.
Old January 30th 04, 03:07 AM
Carrie Lyons

Alan wrote:
wrote:

Print out the picture at its natural size on photo paper.

Using good lighting, take a hi-res picture of the picture.
A 3.4 megapixel or greater camera, possibly using a closeup lens.

Print that out at a larger size, a size that still seems to
have all the detail. Repeat until you get the size you want.

If you have PhotoShop or something similar, you can achieve the same
effect with various filters, much faster. For instance, Gaussian blur
with a radius of 1-2 pixels (experiment: undo, redo to get the right
figure); (that achieves the smoothing out that printing and
photographing does) or descreening; then sharpening and adjusting
contrast. After all, the idea of PhotoShop is to provide digital
methods to do all the photo manipulation in seconds that would have
taken hours in the lab.

I'll give it a try sometime, thanks.

Brian Lehen wrote:
so u propose to introduce the distortion of the printer, of the
lens, CCD chip, jpg compression to IMPROVE the original???

Hi-res pics on my Nikon are TIFF format, and despite your
laughter, it works.

maybe u should try upsampling the original image in Photoshop first?

I'll check that out too, thanks.

--
$20 mil from Nike: http://miscstuff.org/~cypherpunk/Tiger_Woods_Swoosh.jpg
Old January 28th 04, 10:46 PM
Brian Lehen

From: "Carrie Lyons"
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:13:40 -0600

Mark Herring wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:31:58 GMT, wrote:

I got a bunch of photos that are only 560x700 or so and when I print
them on 8 x 11 the features are not very fine. How can I improve on
it?

Can't add information that is not there. Your file size equates to
~70-80 PPI for 8X10. Good prints need more like 200-300.

you CAN use the un-sharp mask in Photoshop---or some other sharpening
SW to make them look a bit sharper. Also, make sure the contrast is
as high as possible without losing highlight or shadow detail.

I've got an unusual suggestion.

Print out the picture at its natural size on photo paper.

Using good lighting, take a hi-res picture of the picture.
A 3.4 megapixel or greater camera, possibly using a closeup lens.

Print that out at a larger size, a size that still seems to
have all the detail. Repeat until you get the size you want.

I'm not sure why this works, but it does.

It's critical to take good pictures each time.

Hahahahahahaha, this is the funniest thing ever...

so u propose to introduce the distortion of the printer, of the lens, CCD
chip, jpg compression to IMPROVE the original??? lol lol

maybe u should try upsampling the original image in Photoshop first?

hehe, can't stop laughing.. lol

Brian

Old February 4th 04, 08:28 PM
Greetings!

I don't know what the software is but there are software that do simulations
to accomplish virtual image enhancement. You see this kind of thing in the
movies all the time .. basically the software does a bunch of trials and
errors in an iterative mode until you start seeing what you wanted. Call
the CIA and ask them. Forget what I said earlier about using ImageIn. It
would work fine going the other way. The way you want to go you have to add
pixels and create psuedo resolution. ImageIn would allow you to add pixels
but it would be so tedious that you would quickly abandon the approach. I
suppose you could start by sharpening the image in Photoshop or the like and
then taking it to ImageIn and removing the noise manually. This would yield
a modest improvement given the time to do the pixel by pixel editing you
would have to do. You need a kind of high tech pixel editor/enhancer. When
I have time I will search for such things, just for fun. You should do this
too.

wrote in message
I got a bunch of photos that are only 560x700 or so and when I print
them on 8 x 11 the features are not very fine. How can I improve on
it?

Any decent photo processing software should be able to get rid of the
pixelization if that's what you mean by "not very fine". Unfortunately,
nothing will actually add detail that's not there.

Bryan

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).