Prescott tests

Old February 2nd 04, 07:45 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default Prescott tests

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000315

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/index.html

http://anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1956

Old February 2nd 04, 04:31 PM
Derek Baker

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000315

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/index.html

http://anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1956

I posted these and more, more than 11 hours before you, but my ISP is
having trouble with its newgroup feed, so noone else can see them.
*******s!

This posted via Google Groups.

Derek
Old February 2nd 04, 04:53 PM
Yousuf Khan

"Derek Baker" wrote in message
om...
"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

able.rogers.com...
http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000315

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/index.html

http://anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1956

I posted these and more, more than 11 hours before you, but my ISP is
having trouble with its newgroup feed, so noone else can see them.
*******s!

This posted via Google Groups.

I'm sorry, but it's not like as if my ISP is the model of high quality and
efficiency either. :-)

Anandtech seems to think that the Prescott should only be purchased if
you're going to try to overclock to 4Ghz, otherwise go for Northwood. This
despite the fact that the Prescott uses up far more power than the Northwood
at the same frequency.

Ace's hardware seems to think that at 125 million transistors, Prescott is
hiding some circuitry inside it, which Intel hasn't told us about yet. They
come to this conclusion by adding up the extra circuitry required by the
512K larger L2 cache, and the 8K larger L1 instruction cache, and estimate
that altogether this should take Prescott only up 80 million transistors
from the Northwood's 52 million. So there's still 45 million transistors
unaccounted for inside Prescott.

Tom's just seems annoyed by Prescott for some reason. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Old February 2nd 04, 06:15 PM
RusH

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in
ble.rogers.com:

Ace's hardware seems to think that at 125 million transistors,
Prescott is hiding some circuitry inside it, which Intel hasn't
told us about yet. They come to this conclusion by adding up the
extra circuitry required by the 512K larger L2 cache, and the 8K
larger L1 instruction cache, and estimate that altogether this
should take Prescott only up 80 million transistors from the
Northwood's 52 million. So there's still 45 million transistors
unaccounted for inside Prescott.

64 bit ? naaaa

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://kiti.pulse.pdi.net/qv30/
Old February 2nd 04, 07:06 PM
Hank Oredson

"RusH" wrote in message
22.80...
"Yousuf Khan" wrote in
ble.rogers.com:

Ace's hardware seems to think that at 125 million transistors,
Prescott is hiding some circuitry inside it, which Intel hasn't
told us about yet. They come to this conclusion by adding up the
extra circuitry required by the 512K larger L2 cache, and the 8K
larger L1 instruction cache, and estimate that altogether this
should take Prescott only up 80 million transistors from the
Northwood's 52 million. So there's still 45 million transistors
unaccounted for inside Prescott.

64 bit ? naaaa

Perhaps Yamhill exists?

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Old February 2nd 04, 07:42 PM

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000315

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/index.html

http://anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1956

I thought one of the more interseting comments from Anandtech is that
going from 2.8gz up to 3.2ghz Prescott narrows the gap (or increases
the lead) with Northwood at each successive higher frequency. They
extrapolate that Prescott at 3.6ghz and above might be a better
indicator of why the internal changes were made from the Northwood
core.
Old February 2nd 04, 07:52 PM
chrisv

"Yousuf Khan" wrote:

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000315

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/index.html

http://anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1956

Yikes, what a dog. AMD has got to be pleased with these results...

Old February 3rd 04, 02:33 AM
RusH

Johnno wrote in
.115:

RusH wrote in
2.80:

Am I the only one that sees the FSB impact here ? OCing from
2.8 to 3.2 = 230Hz FSB - thers your speed

Except he wasn't overclocking the FSB, but using a chip with a
different multiplier. It seems likely it's the cache that makes
the most of the difference. The bigger the difference between
main memory speed and cache speed, the more important it is to
have a large cache.

prove me wrong, dont yust say it
http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...prescott/cpuz3
700.gif

fixed 14x multiplier. Its normal processor, not an engeenering sample
with open multiplier.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://kiti.pulse.pdi.net/qv30/

Prescott problems enumerated Felger Carbon General 8 March 24th 05 05:20 PM
Intel Prescott CPU in a Nutshell LuvrSmel Overclocking 1 January 10th 05 03:23 PM
Prescott tests Yousuf Khan General 15 February 4th 04 11:29 PM
System tests utility in ECDC...what's the usefulness of it if the results are never the same? KILOWATT Cdr 15 October 4th 03 09:15 PM
parhelia w/ 3 monitors tony wong Matrox Videocards 16 September 12th 03 03:59 AM