D875PBZ & BIOS Resets Itself

Old January 30th 04, 03:33 AM
Lance

Default D875PBZ & BIOS Resets Itself

D875PBZ motherboard, P18 BIOS, 512MB RAM, 2.6GHz P4, HT enabled, 2 Western
Digital 36GB Raptors in RAID 0 array (boot disk), 120 GB Maxtor DiamondMax
Plus, WinXP SP1a

I've put this computer together just after Xmas and am happy as can be. But
twice now, for reasons unclear to me, the BIOS appears to have reset itself
to a default configuration. Of course this makes booting from the RAID 0
array difficult as RAID isn't enabled in the default configuration. Putting
the BIOS settings back the way they were clears things up and no data has
been lost.

The Event Viewer doesn't show anything awry on the previous shutdown or
first successful startup.

Now I'm wondering if something is wrong and my RAID 0 will self-destruct at
any moment. Has anyone else experienced this (I mean the resets, not
self-destructing RAID's)?

Lance
*****

Old January 30th 04, 04:04 AM
Guess Who

The only anomaly I've encountered is on 2 occasions, after I shut down the
PC, it would not boot up again. I had to wait a few minutes and then it
booted. I had no video, no post, only the power light and fans running.

Maybe you need a new battery? You shouldn't as the board is not that old,
but it wouldn't hurt to try.

nk.net...

Old January 30th 04, 01:53 PM
Stuart

I have had a similar problem.
Maybe one time out of ten when there is a restart the video does not =
come on.
You can see the optical disk and floppy being tested and the hard drive =
run.
If I turn it off and remove power for about two minutes, the video is =
back.
Not using RAID at this time.
"Lance" wrote in message =
nk.net...
D875PBZ motherboard, P18 BIOS, 512MB RAM, 2.6GHz P4, HT enabled, 2 =

Western
Digital 36GB Raptors in RAID 0 array (boot disk), 120 GB Maxtor =

DiamondMax
Plus, WinXP SP1a
=20

Old January 30th 04, 07:37 PM
Frank Fussenegger

I have noticed a similar problem. I have a Gateway OEM version of the
D875PBZ with a different BIOS version. I have two versions of Windows
XP (one on a RAID array and one on an IED hard drive) that I boot by
changing the hard drive boot order in the BIOS. A few times I have
had a Windows crash when booted off the RAID array, and when the
system rebooted it booted from the IED hard drive. In other words,
the boot order in the BIOS changed because of the crash. I don't know
if any other BIOS setting were affected, but I will look for that in
the future.

Old February 5th 04, 05:08 AM
Lance

[...]

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I got sidetracked
because my 120 GB Maxtor crashed - it's only about a year old. At
least it's under warranty and Maxtor will be shipping out a refurb
unit to replace it.

Lance
*****

IDE RAID- Major problem need to save my data MC Storage (alternative) 21 December 5th 04 05:38 AM
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and BIOS 1009 (I DESPERATELY NEED IT!! PLS HELP!!) Pita71 Asus Motherboards 3 May 19th 04 12:45 AM
D875PBZ Bios Update Aloke Prasad Intel 0 December 26th 03 10:02 PM
AWARD BIOS and big disks support Nexus6 Intel 6 December 9th 03 11:14 AM
Question Re BIOS Update P14 for Intel D875PBZ [email protected] Intel 6 October 11th 03 12:05 AM