Gaming Machine Components

Old January 24th 05, 02:52 AM
Dave

Default Gaming Machine Components

I'm trying to build a gaming machine, without spending a fortune (around
$1000CDN).

Here are a few things I want advice on:

::::Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT -vs- AMD64::::
I'm shading towards the Pent. 4 because there aren't many AMD board that are
PCI-Express compatible for a good video card...what do you think?

::::Video Card::::
I don't want to spend a fortune on this...probably not more than $300. From
what I've found, this is the best deal / performance / price, but I'm happy
to accept advice. An MSI NX6600GT (128mb PCI-Express). I found it for
about $250CDN.

::::Motherboard::::
I'm completely lost here. Basically, I want to be able to use PCI-Express
video cards (I understand they are significantly better than AGP), good
quality/speed RAM...other than that, I can't think of anything specific.
Nothing has to be onboard as I plan to buy the video and sound cards. If
LAN is onboard, that's fine, or I'll buy a card...not really a factor.
There are just so many out there that are so similar.

::::RAM::::
Well, in the last year or two there have been so many new types of RAM come
out. What would I be looking for to maximize performance, while keeping in
mind that I'm trying to keep costs down. I'm wanting at LEAST 512, but a
gig would be nice.

Any other suggestions you guys/gals have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help!

Old January 24th 05, 06:38 AM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:52:58 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

I'm trying to build a gaming machine, without spending a fortune (around
$1000CDN).

Here are a few things I want advice on:

::::Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT -vs- AMD64::::
I'm shading towards the Pent. 4 because there aren't many AMD board that are
PCI-Express compatible for a good video card...what do you think?

If you want to get AMD get an AMD. There are good SLI boards out
already . Its mainly cost. I think I saw some place that sold them for
slightly less than 200 but most sell them for over 200. Theres the
ASUS a very popular board.

Below that there basically right now only the Chaintech vnf4 which I
have which they get in intermittently at ZZF and Newegg. Though ZZF
quickly sold out yet again - I got one of them, last week when they
got them in , Newegg supposedly got a batch too. Unfortunately I just
checked and they are out too. But since some other brands have ETAs of
late January - by Feb there should be at least a few more options.
Theres also the Gigabytes - SLI and basic nforce4. The chaintech of
course is an Ultra nforce4.

The only thing that has me a bit concerned --- the 3000 939 was hyped
as a monster OCer. Anantech pushed it pretty high on the stock
heatsink and so have others in reviews. I saw one guy post that hes
had 3 of them and they tend to top out at a 250 setting because of the
memory controller so the 270 type OCs are rare he claims and he says
the 3200 is a better deal. However the 3000 is 155 or so now and the
3200 I think over 200 so thats a big difference ! And even if it was
limited to 250 I think with all the other settings --- thats still a
decent OC.

::::Video Card::::

I don't want to spend a fortune on this...probably not more than $300. From
what I've found, this is the best deal / performance / price, but I'm happy
to accept advice. An MSI NX6600GT (128mb PCI-Express). I found it for
about $250CDN.

I havent kept up with the CDN exch rate but I hear its pretty low now
so if that means $200 US or over , try to get a regular 6800 if you
can with 128 megs. You can OC these and enable the pipes from 12 to 16
on many of them making them just like the 6800 GT except with a lower
mem/clock rate but overall better than the 6600GTs which have 12 pipes
and you dont need 256 megs. The problem of course is finding a 6800
in the lower 200s.

::::Motherboard::::
I'm completely lost here. Basically, I want to be able to use PCI-Express
video cards (I understand they are significantly better than AGP), good
quality/speed RAM...other than that, I can't think of anything specific.

Actually though PCI express has much more potential, at the moment
AGP and PCI express cards are pretty much the same. I went PCI express
cause the prices have converged to the point I said might as well
since I was buying a MB, processor.

Nothing has to be onboard as I plan to buy the video and sound cards. If
LAN is onboard, that's fine, or I'll buy a card...not really a factor.
There are just so many out there that are so similar.

The one possible problem with PCI express is you end up with only 3
PCI slots and everything is PCI still. The onboard sound is
certainly OK but not first rate. So if you buy a sound card now you
use a slot up. Ive heard soundstorm2 is coming out in PCI express
form. If that happens Im sure an Audigy will come out too in PCI
express soon.

The two other PCI slots --- a lot of people are buying tv tuners , the
150 hauppauge is hot now for $70 or so in white box form. It has
hardware compression and FM radio.

Heres where I get into a crunch. I have a Audiophile 2496 for
recording music PCI.

The Chaintech doesnt have firewire. I might want a firewire card if I
move up to a HDTV card later and people say you can record HDTV progs
with firewire out on a cable box.

In fact I actually like to use an old modem card for the fax function.

::::RAM::::
Well, in the last year or two there have been so many new types of RAM come
out. What would I be looking for to maximize performance, while keeping in
mind that I'm trying to keep costs down. I'm wanting at LEAST 512, but a
gig would be nice.

Im actually carrying over my old Kingston 3200 ram 1 gig. Sure it will
severely limit my OCing capability. DDR 3200/400 is once again widely
on sale for $49-59 512 stick so its fairly cheap if you arent going to
massively OC. Once you get into higher than that it starts costing
much more per stick.

Old January 24th 05, 07:36 AM
jacoby

6600gt ($250) PCIe mb ($200) Athlon 64 3000+ ($200) Patriot pc3200 memory
2x512 ($200) Estimated Canadian dollars based on US cost and conversion
rate. This is basically an entry level Athlon/ PCIe setup Due to stock
conditions the mb may be slightly higher.

Xeon Gaming Machine? Troy General 2 November 28th 04 03:18 AM
Modem vs Fax Machine (not playing together nicely) Doug Kanter General 0 October 25th 04 07:05 PM
FA: MORE MULTIPLE LOTS of Various Electronic Components Jerry Rakar General 0 June 15th 04 04:44 AM
FA: MULTIPLE LOTS of Various Electronic Components Jerry Rakar General 0 May 31st 04 05:15 AM
Hard drive that boots elsewhere refuses to boot in this machine Simon O'Connor General 9 July 22nd 03 06:34 AM