No sound or modem on Presario 7594

Old February 5th 04, 01:53 AM
No Spam

Default No sound or modem on Presario 7594

Got this system from a friend. Was all OEM, 566 Celeron, 64 mg ram,
ESS Allero onboard audio, modem has part number MDM 56K 2076-001. The
monitor jack was sheared off at the board (broken clean like it was
never put there, never seen any thing like it before). I replaced the
jack and plug on the KDS monitor that came with the system. Fired it
up and found it loaded with viruses so I did a QuickRestore. Installed
a NIC and transfered my files from my old 133 and 486 Prolinea. All
seemed OK. Tried playing some games and discovered I had no sound.
Previous owner said it worked before. Everything was OK in Device
Manager. I tried uninstalling all of the audio devices including the
Wave Device for Modem. After reboot Windows found New Hardware, all
audio devices and Unknown PCI Card. I then removed the Modem and NIC
(only 2 PCI devices)and physically took them out and removed the
Unknown PCI Card. I rebooted, and no new hardware was found. I shut
down and put the modem back in and Windows found it as Unknown PCI
Card. I tried removing it and manually installing the modem. Windows
still finds Unknown PCI Card and the manually installed modem is
working. Removed the modem and installed another PCI V.90 modem.
Windows found and installed it fine along with the Wave Device this
time and it works fine. Still no sound or yellow bubbles of death in
Device Manager. I have installed all of the ROM upgrade and the ESS
upgrades. I don't really want to install a sound card since I plan on
installing a 3D graphics card and a vidio capture card which along
with the NIC and modem would use up the 4 PCI slots. I have seen a USB
video capture unit, but it needs a 2 gig processor. How much larger
CPU will the machine take. If I get close maybe the USBVC will work
with out a full 2 gig (but I doubt it).
Old February 5th 04, 02:09 AM
Kev

maybe sound disabled in the bios?