Reliability of DLink

Old May 9th 04, 09:10 AM
Michael Culley

Default Reliability of DLink

I've purchased a few dlink routers for myself and customers. So far I've had

DI-624+ keeps resetting itself, did this straight out of the box.
DI-614+ won't power up, power supply ok.
DI-614+ powers up but can't get to web interface, have done a recovery but
no good.
DI-something+ Wireless access point, scrambled setting when new, had to do a
factory reset to use.
DI-604+ waiting for customer to return, sounds like it is dead.

So far I've only sold 9 of them! If you count the wireless access point as
working I've managed to get a bit over 50% of them to work. Three of the
working ones are the older DI-804V and the other is a DI-604+ which I only
sold a few weeks ago so hasn't had time to break down, but I'm sure it will.

Has anyone else had the same problems with DLink? I think I'll start selling
billion routers....

Cheers,
Michael Culley

Old May 9th 04, 04:03 PM
GTS

I find that surprising. I have 2 here (604 and 614+) with no problems and
have installed at least a dozen for clients including these models, DWL900+
APs, and a few others without ever running into a defective unit.

--

u...

Old May 9th 04, 04:58 PM
Peter

"Michael Culley" wrote in message . au...
[...]

I've got a DSL-504 and it seems to work well, I've never had any
problems. It seems to be better than what a lot of people I know
have. At first I had a billion one, but it wouldn't work with BT for
some reason. The shop changed it to a DLink for me because somebody
else had the same problem with the billion one.
Old May 12th 04, 04:32 PM
hu man

Check here, some good, some bad reports. Alot of good discussions.:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/dlink

Old May 12th 04, 07:48 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sun, 09 May 2004 18:10:23 +1000, Michael Culley wrote:

[...]

I had the power supply on a DLink ethernet switch melt down. I've never
had a problem with Linksys, you might want to swithc to them.

Old May 13th 04, 02:10 PM
Michael Culley

"Trent©" wrote in message
Keeps resetting?

Yeah, it was a real pain in the butt, all the lights would go out and it
would startup again as if it had just been plugged in. It did this straight
out of the box after I used it to replace another dead dlink router. :-)

Recovery?

If the router cannot be accessed through the web interface you take out the
power, hold in the reset button and power it up while holding in the reset
button for 5 seconds. It goes into recovery mode where the only thing you
can do with it is flash the bios.

But initially worked...so could easily be the fault of the customer.

Maybe but his description was almost word for word the same as the problem I
had with mine. At first it worked but after a period of time the web
interface couldn't be accessed. Tried a factory reset but web interface
still not working. Tried recovery but that didn't work (in my case it worked
at first but then stopped working).

Did you purchase all these from the same supplier? Are you sure that
they'd never been used?

2 different suppliers, one was Compaq/HP, the other a large Australia
wholesaler, I didn't buy these from some tax dodger at the market :-)

Never had a problem with D-link, Michael...and I found their customer
support to be outstanding.

Their customer support was pretty good and I'm prepared to accept that i
might have been unlucky, but how many have you bought Trent, 1?

Michael Culley

Old May 14th 04, 02:33 AM
Michael Culley

"Trent©" wrote in message ...
Probably a few dozen...but I haven't used one in a long time...except
for my bench setup. I got a good deal on some 2-port Siemen's...and I
set them up and give them to my customers as a freebie.

I suspect the quality may have dropped with the prices. The 614+ had a power supply with it that was amazingly light, it felt like
it just had a resistor inside it. Certainly, it wasn't heavy enough to be a real transformer.

Most of what you've written could easily be a configuration
problem...especially if the customer has first installed connectivity
software given to them by their ISP. This can often cause conflicts.

I don't see how, I've done a factory reset and recovery and that didn't solve the problems. :-)

I posted this question to determine if I was unlucky or if DLink are unreliable. As no-one has come back and said they've had
similar problems to such a degree I guess I've been unlucky. Still, I'm going to look at other brands. :-)

--
Michael Culley

Old May 14th 04, 12:52 PM
kony

On Fri, 14 May 2004 11:33:58 +1000, "Michael Culley"
wrote:

"Trent©" wrote in message ...
Probably a few dozen...but I haven't used one in a long time...except
for my bench setup. I got a good deal on some 2-port Siemen's...and I
set them up and give them to my customers as a freebie.

I suspect the quality may have dropped with the prices. The 614+ had a power supply with it that was amazingly light, it felt like
it just had a resistor inside it. Certainly, it wasn't heavy enough to be a real transformer.

Most of the current generations of gear are using very similar switching
power supplies, they're all moving towards them instead of the
"transformer" type you're referring to. It's not just D-Link. I have a
couple of D-Link products with similar power supply and other Linksys and
Belkin that do as well... all work fine except the Belkin crashes (though
other Belkins with similar if not same power supply don't).

It might be as likely an overheating problem as power. I have/had several
older network equipments that had heatsinks but many of the newer ones
don't and seemed to be getting pretty hot for placing in a "stack" or
confined area without a lot of airflow. On the other hand, I added a
heatsink to an aforementioned Belkin unit that was crashing and that
didn't help, nor did replacing (using completely different) power supply.
I'd hoped for a firmware update for it but it was so inexpensive and with
wireless gear dropping in price at the time, I just gave up on it.

Most of what you've written could easily be a configuration
problem...especially if the customer has first installed connectivity
software given to them by their ISP. This can often cause conflicts.

I don't see how, I've done a factory reset and recovery and that didn't solve the problems. :-)

I posted this question to determine if I was unlucky or if DLink are unreliable. As no-one has come back and said they've had
similar problems to such a degree I guess I've been unlucky. Still, I'm going to look at other brands. :-)

So did you do the factory reset but NOT the bios flash? I might be wrong
but I though you could hold in power switch while powering on for "n"
number of seconds and it'd just clear the CMOS (restore factory defaults)
without any need to flash bios.
Old May 15th 04, 08:43 AM
Michael Culley

"kony" wrote in message
Most of the current generations of gear are using very similar switching
power supplies, they're all moving towards them instead of the
"transformer" type you're referring to. It's not just D-Link. I have a
couple of D-Link products with similar power supply and other Linksys and
Belkin that do as well... all work fine except the Belkin crashes (though
other Belkins with similar if not same power supply don't).

I don't buy belkin because the first belkin product I bought (a 10/100
switch) gave me trouble on a network with a mix of 10 and 100 network cards.
I also don't like anything that is not a square box :-)

So did you do the factory reset but NOT the bios flash? I might be wrong
but I though you could hold in power switch while powering on for "n"
number of seconds and it'd just clear the CMOS (restore factory defaults)
without any need to flash bios.

Yeah, I did both. If you push the button on the back while it's on you get
the factory presets. If you hold it, power the unit up and continue holding
it for 5 to 10 seconds it goes into recovery mode. Neither did any good on
the latest unit.

Michael Culley