Monitor Crackling Noise again

Old July 22nd 03, 10:26 AM
Michael

Default Monitor Crackling Noise again

Hi, my monitor made a very harsh crackling noise when opening a high
resolution video file in Winamp...I've heard that the noise could be
related to the voltage going to the monitor and something called
'arcing'.

Could it be related to my video card, my old TNT2 broke, so I put an
old 8mb AGP card back in, but I had similar problems with that card,
although this is the worst noise I've heard.

Could the monitor or the CRT tube have been damaged in any way?

Hi, my monitor often makes a crackling or popping noise when I close a
big window on the screen or when I switch windows.

Can this damage the monitor or the CRT tube?

I have a 17 inch BenQ V772 monitor but only a tnt2 32 mb video card.
I find that when I'm using less bandwidth on my 56 k modem the noise
is less or doesn't happen at all when closing windows or switching
window.

Does this crackling and popping noise have anything to do with the
PC's memory or resources and could my monitor have been damaged from
it?

Thanks,

Old July 22nd 03, 10:43 AM
Steve Reinis

Monitors have a high-voltage circuit and the CRT itself acts as a large
capacitor. As dust and grime builds up inside the monitor it creates
wonderful paths for high voltage to travel to where it shouldn't. This can
lead to arcing (think of lightning on a smaller scale). Could be an arc
from the ultor (the "suction cup" on the CRT) or could be from the flyback
itself. Or anywhere in-between. In any case, it's not good for the monitor
because eventually you'll zap the electronics. It the monitor is still
working, no obvious or major damage has been done ...yet... But again, you
don't want to keep running like this.

Running at different resolutions and refresh rates will cause high voltages
to be different and so this could be why you will get more "crackling" when
using a particular card. Also, changing images on the screen cause coltages
to change as well and can initiate an arc. I'm sure that if you maximize a
window with a white background and then minimize/maximize a fw
times...You'll get some arcing going on due to voltage changes. Has nothing
to do with system resources or memory issues.

If the monitor is one you like and not just some junky thing - take it to a
shop and have it serviced. Otherwise, just use it until it dies if you want
to take a chance.

-Steve

om...

NOISE Marc General 3 July 16th 03 05:33 PM
Antec PP-412X power supply fan making LOUD cricket noise! Excruciatingly annoying. Franklin Bowen General 0 July 15th 03 08:23 PM