Cheapie fanless video card?

Old July 21st 03, 01:41 PM
Rhys

Default Cheapie fanless video card?

Hello,

Looking to get a cheap AGP card which must be fanless (dont like
noise!). Performance not much of an issue coz I wont be playing
games, just looking for anything better than onboard graphics.

Dont need anything like a Radeon 9000/9200 - can even be as low as a
32 MB card. Any Recommendations?

TIA.
Old July 21st 03, 01:48 PM
Franklin

What's wrong with onboard video? If you're not gaming it should be fine...
Ran mine for a long while at1600x1200.

om...

Old July 21st 03, 11:04 PM
kony

On 21 Jul 2003 14:20:22 -0700, (Rhys) wrote:

kony wrote in message
"better than onboard grahpics" in what way, exactly?
What onboard grapics (chipset, motherboard, etc) are you currently
using?

What's the use of the system, the need for better video?

It's a pc chips 810lmr mobo using a sis chipset. I just bought a
scanner and find myself running out of Ram (just a little). My two
Dimm slots are full with 1x512Mb and 1x128Mb of SD Ram.

I thought adding a dedicated graphics card would free up memory and
also take some of the load off the cpu(?). What do you think about
the last part of that sentence?

Yes it should free up memory, but you must be manipulating some fairly
large images for the (=64MB) shared system memory to make much of a
difference in a system already having 640MB. Certainly the shared
memory is slowing it down some, though it isn't really increasing the
load on the CPU, only the memory bus, perhaps the northbridge a little
bit (I'm uncertain of that, have no hands-on experience with Sis 730
video). With 640MB you should just about be able to scan and edit a
full bed 300DPI image with no virtual memory/swapping, but of course
it would also depend on the other tasks, memory load outside of the
imaging job.

The primary reason an integrated video will increase load on the CPU
is when it has less hardware funcitonality, and in 3D gaming there is
software doing the T&L, opposed to a DX8, 9, video card capable of
doing it "in hardware".

However, if you're running out of memory, so I presume the page/swap
file is being used, you may see more of a benefit by adding more main
memory, or do you mean that the manipulation of the image is
"sluggish" when scrolling around in it at magnified zoom? In that
case a video card with a lot of memory can help a lot.

I think I might go with a Radeon 7000 64Mb from ebuyer as its less
than £30.

I would monitor the paging file and see how much it changes when
you're scanning/editing the larger images, to determine whether a
system memory upgrade is beneficial.

Perhaps a video card would benefit you, I can't be certain not having
used the Sis 730 video, not knowing how it compares to most other
integrated video.

Dave

Old July 21st 03, 11:23 PM
Some One

"Rhys" wrote in message
om...
kony wrote in message
"better than onboard grahpics" in what way, exactly?
What onboard grapics (chipset, motherboard, etc) are you currently
using?

What's the use of the system, the need for better video?

It's a pc chips 810lmr mobo using a sis chipset. I just bought a
scanner and find myself running out of Ram (just a little). My two
Dimm slots are full with 1x512Mb and 1x128Mb of SD Ram.

I thought adding a dedicated graphics card would free up memory and
also take some of the load off the cpu(?). What do you think about
the last part of that sentence?

I think I might go with a Radeon 7000 64Mb from ebuyer as its less
than £30.

What you are trying to do is the equivilent of taking the hubcaps off
your car to increase gas mileage. Less weight means better mileage,
right?

The money would be better spent on replacing that 128meg stick of
memory. Onboard video doesn't make any difference as far as CPU
usage - as long as you aren't gaming.

BTW, what makes you think you are running low on memory? What speed
CPU? What OS?

Old July 22nd 03, 01:13 AM

Rhys kenjka:
Looking to get a cheap AGP card which must be fanless (dont like
noise!). Performance not much of an issue coz I wont be playing
games, just looking for anything better than onboard graphics.

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000 is fanless... Sitting in my machine, so I can speak
from experience...

--
Radniko tuce u helikopteru sepav slonog volija jucer ?
By runf

Damir Lukic,
a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
Old July 22nd 03, 10:07 AM
Rhys

"Some One" wrote in message .ca...
"Rhys" wrote in message
om...
kony wrote in message
[...]

It's a 1Ghz Duron running Windows 2000. I'm scanning in images at 600
and sometimes 1200 dpi. Task manager is telling me that I'm using as
much as 750Mb in memory. When using the swap file my system takes a
significant performance hit.

Performance seems sluggish anyway. When trying to skip through the
images (like in a slideshow) in Irfanview or opening up the image
files in PSPv4, then it just seems slow. I had thought that a
dedicated video might speed up things (more so than onboard video
anyway). Seems that might not be the case.

Many thanks to all who have replied to me!

Need AGP video card D F Bonnett General 5 July 27th 03 12:19 AM
Looking for Video card with dual DVI and AGP 8x Olav General 0 July 3rd 03 09:02 PM
Video card advice grendel General 10 June 30th 03 02:07 PM
Video Card S3Trio General 11 June 29th 03 12:51 AM
Best video card for around $200? Christoph General 1 June 23rd 03 09:23 PM