Need AGP video card

Old July 17th 03, 09:31 PM
D F Bonnett

Default Need AGP video card

My video 16 meg card died so I reinstalled the original 4 meg S3 card.
The Samsung 955df monitor is capable of better resolution and
definition with text than I am now getting. Looking for an AGP card
that will give me the best text possible, other factors are secondary.
Any advice as to specific cards would be most appreciated.

Old July 18th 03, 01:38 PM
D F Bonnett

Anyone?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:49:56 GMT, D F Bonnett
wrote:

Thanks for the fast response. Here goes..
No gaming at all but mostly text, e-books, word processing. General
web surfing.
Want a card that will maximize the clarity of the monitor
The late, deceased, cheapo Chaintech 16 meg board that I installed
provided a clearer image than the S3 Invidia deal that is back in
there now.

Machine is about 3-4 years old
WinME
128 megs RAM
300 Celeron
Asus P2E-M board
Not sure what 3D is

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:29:35 +0200, Kanolsen kanolsen AT mail¤REMOVE¤
dot dk wrote:

You have to state what you are using your pc for? Games, 3d etc. How
old is your pc?

Kanolsen

Old July 18th 03, 02:41 PM
kony

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:38:22 GMT, D F Bonnett
wrote:

Anyone?

I'll second what Ben wrote, Matrox for text or ATI comes in second but
has better 3D performance, especially at any given price-point.

Dave
Old July 18th 03, 03:58 PM
D F Bonnett

wrote:

Anyone?

I'll second what Ben wrote, Matrox for text or ATI comes in second but
has better 3D performance, especially at any given price-point.

Dave

Again, thanks for all the replies. Since 3D is not an issue for me, I
will focus on locating a Matrox AGP card that will support the full
capabilies of the monitor. The G450 looks like a good bet.

Old July 26th 03, 09:04 PM
D F Bonnett

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:49:50 +0200, "Drasko Ivanisevic"
wrote:

D F Bonnett wrote:

Again, thanks for all the replies. Since 3D is not an issue for me, I
will focus on locating a Matrox AGP card that will support the full
capabilies of the monitor. The G450 looks like a good bet.

Good choice!

I picked up an MGA-G200 16 meg card off ebay. Still not getting the
text quality I want. Do you think a G450 will be significantly better
or am I seeking that which does not exist?

Old July 27th 03, 12:19 AM
kony

wrote:

D F Bonnett wrote:

Again, thanks for all the replies. Since 3D is not an issue for me, I
will focus on locating a Matrox AGP card that will support the full
capabilies of the monitor. The G450 looks like a good bet.

Good choice!

I picked up an MGA-G200 16 meg card off ebay. Still not getting the
text quality I want. Do you think a G450 will be significantly better
or am I seeking that which does not exist?

What exactly is wrong? Are you sure it's the video card's fault? If
I had to choose, I'd pick that monitor as the the "lesser" of two when
comparing to video card output, final text quality. Then again, it
depends a lot on what resolution/refresh you're running... the older
the card, the slower the ramdac, the less clarity at higher
resolutions. At high resolutions the newer G-series cards should be
better than the G200.

Personally, I'd not consider a shadow-mask grill if text output was
THAT important. It's not that the aperture grill is more "accurate"
in reproducing the shape of the characters, but the better contrast,
crispness, is kinder on the eyes IMHO. Some people feel the opposite
though, and prefer shadow mask for text... to each his own.

Dave

Looking for Video card with dual DVI and AGP 8x Olav General 0 July 3rd 03 09:02 PM
Video card advice grendel General 10 June 30th 03 02:07 PM
Video Card S3Trio General 11 June 29th 03 12:51 AM
Help with WinFast TV 2000 XP Tuner Card Joshua Klehm General 1 June 24th 03 10:52 PM
Best video card for around $200? Christoph General 1 June 23rd 03 09:23 PM