NOISE

Old July 14th 03, 11:19 PM
Marc

Default NOISE

My new PC makes a whole lot of noise. I think it's the fan from the power
supply, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone any thoughts on how to make it more quiet?

Marc

Old July 14th 03, 11:29 PM

Marc kenjka:
My new PC makes a whole lot of noise. I think it's the fan from the power
supply, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone any thoughts on how to make it more quiet?

Buy a new power supply...

You can try to put some grease on the fan, but you'll have to open up your
PSU, then remove a sticker from the fan, put some grease in it, and then
it'll be quiet for something like 2 months...

Best way to get rid of that noise is to get high-quality low-noise power
supply like Antec Truepower series, or Enlight... Let's say that 300-380W
should be enough for everything...

--
U ormaru se za pet minuta zbijen Maricao pije. By runf

Damir Lukic,
a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
Old July 15th 03, 03:51 AM
Vanguard

Stick a popsicle stick in through the grill in the back of the power supply
to very temporarily halt the spinning of the fan blade, check for the
absence of noise, and remove the stick. If it is the power supply fan
making the noise, your options a (1) Buy a replacement; or, (2) Open up
the power supply (after having to remove it from the case) and replace the
fan. The fan is usually an 80mm fan just like the ones used for case
cooling fans. Be sure you orient the fan so it blows outward (there's an
arrow to show air flow direction). Sometimes you can simply remove the
screws holding the fan and slide in a new one. Case fans might have 3 pins
(12V, ground, and sense) whereas the power supply fan only has 2 pins (12V
and ground) but you can probably still use the 3-pin 80mm case fan inside
the power supply simply by sliding the connector on the header pins so that
the 12V and ground leads get connected. If the power supply fan's wires are
soldered onto a circuit board, you probably don't want to dismantle the
whole thing and do some desoldering and soldering. Just cut the wires,
strip them, and splice the new fan's wires to them. I would slide some
shrink tube over the wires, mesh them together, solder them, slide the
shrink tube over the splice, and use heat to shrink the tube so the spice is
insulated well and you don't get any shorts (and make sure the wires don't
get into the fan blades). If replacing the fan inside a power supply is
beyond your capability or you just don't want to bother, get a new power
supply. Getting a shop to replace the fan will cost you as much as a new
power supply.

** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup.
** If present, remove "-NIX" from my email address.

Old July 16th 03, 05:33 PM
Ron Tuijnman

"Marc" schreef in bericht
My new PC makes a whole lot of noise. I think it's the fan from

the power
supply, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone any thoughts on how to make it more quiet?

....My experience is that siliconspray or something at the best
give some temprorarely relief. When a fan gives trouble it's a
matter of time before it completely goes down. In the meanwhile
it's generating vibrations which do the rest of the components no
good (I had a APG-videocard which gave way after a while) and due
to the reduced cyclespeed it doesn't do it's job very well.
My suggestion is: buy a good, silent fan (Pabst or something).
Open the powersupply (AFTER disconnecting the power cable) and
replace it. It's a piece of cake...

Good luck with it

Ron (Who knows that these failures always happen just fifteen
minutes after the stores close...)