a7n8x-e deluxe revision

Old May 12th 04, 05:53 PM
wolfgang wagner

Default a7n8x-e deluxe revision

hi all!

could someone tell me please, which is the current board revison for
this board??
id like to buy this board but do not want any older one...

thanx in advance

wolfgang
Old May 12th 04, 08:12 PM
Ben Pope

wolfgang wagner wrote:
hi all!

could someone tell me please, which is the current board revison for
this board??
id like to buy this board but do not want any older one...

All of the "E"s are new enough. I don't even know if there have been any
revisions.

The A7N8X and A7N8X Deluxe pre-Rev 2.0 boards are to be avoided (I doubt
anybody has stock any more), the E is a much newer board based off of the
Rev 2.0 Deluxe, I'd imagine.

Just buy one, you'll be fine.

Ben

Old May 13th 04, 01:06 AM
edde

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
wolfgang wagner wrote:
hi all!

The A7N8X and A7N8X Deluxe pre-Rev 2.0 boards are to be avoided (I doubt
anybody has stock any more), the E is a much newer board based off of the
Rev 2.0 Deluxe, I'd imagine.

Just buy one, you'll be fine.

Ben

I have an A7N8X Deluxe Rev1.04 with the latest 1007 bios and it rocks! I've
had it for over 1yr, and it's 100% stable and fast. I can even run the fsb
at 400mhz with default voltages etc, both with stock 3200+ bartons and I
also used to overclock my 2800+ to 400mhz fsb. Not a thing wrong with these
pre Rev2 boards.

Old May 13th 04, 03:39 AM
mitchd

Buy ANOTHER board. I purchased this "flagship" board from ASUS and
have been VERY unhappy. I have contacted ASUS twice and have not
even received a simply reply to my email let alone fix my problems.

First I suffered from the revision problem. Reseller advertised
400mhz board, and shipped me the Rev 1 board in an OEM kit. Worked
with the reseller, who then shipped me the retail kit but still a
revision 1 board and recommended I upgrade the bios. (us-depot.com)
The OEM kit doesn't come with any cables, and there is NO motherboard
port for the 1394, you need to have the ASUS cable.

Finally I gave up and settled on the Rev1 333mhz board. Went to ASUS
web site and flashed to latest bios 1009. We'll just went back to
check for an updated bios and found out 1009 has been pulled. No
mention of why, nor if I should attempt a backlevel.

The reason I was looking for an updated bios was because my sound card
which worked perfectly in my old system does not work with this new
motherboard. I have tried to get it working under both Linux and
Windows, and neither will work. I require an optical input which the
onboard sound card does not have. Yes, I disabled all the onboard
options, (sound, 1394, nics, etc) and the PCI sound card does not
work. The only other card in the system is my Matrox G400 AGP card.
XP does not see a hardware conflict of any kind, but the cards from my
700mhz system, don't work in the system.

The other problem I have is when copying files over the network, the
CPU becomes saturated (Altheon 2700). It's either a bad NIC driver or
IDE driver. Both provided by ASUS. Very lame ASUS !

My first ASUS board was for my Pentium 75 many many years ago, which
was fantastic. I have worked on hardware for 10 plus years and I am
extremely disappointed in this board. ASUS is not what they used to
be. If I were to do it over I would probably take a chance on another
brand.

LOOK FOR ANOTHER BOARD ! If ASUS actually stood behind their
products and even acknowledged my issues, I would have a different
opinion.

By the way if anyone has any other suggestions for an Athlon board,
please let me know. I want the flexibility to run both Linux and
Windows so I need good device driver support. Not looking for a ton
of features, just great through put.

mitchd123

Old May 13th 04, 03:43 AM
mitchd

Buy ANOTHER board. I purchased this "flagship" board from ASUS and
have been VERY unhappy. I have contacted ASUS twice and have not
even received a simply reply to my email let alone fix my problems.

First I suffered from the revision problem. Reseller advertised
400mhz board, and shipped me the Rev 1 board in an OEM kit. Worked
with the reseller, who then shipped me the retail kit but still a
revision 1 board and recommended I upgrade the bios. (us-depot.com)
The OEM kit doesn't come with any cables, and there is NO motherboard
port for the 1394, you need to have the ASUS cable.

Finally I gave up and settled on the Rev1 333mhz board. As best
practice before starting my OS install, I flashed it to latest bios

Old May 13th 04, 08:49 AM
Ben Pope

mitchd wrote:
Buy ANOTHER board. I purchased this "flagship" board from ASUS and
have been VERY unhappy. I have contacted ASUS twice and have not
even received a simply reply to my email let alone fix my problems.

First I suffered from the revision problem. Reseller advertised
400mhz board, and shipped me the Rev 1 board in an OEM kit.

Sound like either your fault or the fault of the reseller, not Asus.

Worked
with the reseller, who then shipped me the retail kit but still a
revision 1 board and recommended I upgrade the bios. (us-depot.com)
The OEM kit doesn't come with any cables, and there is NO motherboard
port for the 1394, you need to have the ASUS cable.

Sound like Your fault for purchasing an OEM board.

Finally I gave up and settled on the Rev1 333mhz board. Went to ASUS
web site and flashed to latest bios 1009.

There is no Bios 1009 for the A7N8X Deluxe

We'll just went back to
check for an updated bios and found out 1009 has been pulled. No
mention of why, nor if I should attempt a backlevel.

It was never there... if you have it, email it to me.

The reason I was looking for an updated bios was because my sound card
which worked perfectly in my old system does not work with this new
motherboard. I have tried to get it working under both Linux and
Windows, and neither will work. I require an optical input which the
onboard sound card does not have. Yes, I disabled all the onboard
options, (sound, 1394, nics, etc) and the PCI sound card does not
work. The only other card in the system is my Matrox G400 AGP card.
XP does not see a hardware conflict of any kind, but the cards from my
700mhz system, don't work in the system.

Sound card?

The other problem I have is when copying files over the network, the
CPU becomes saturated (Altheon 2700). It's either a bad NIC driver or
IDE driver. Both provided by ASUS. Very lame ASUS !

Well install the Driver for the nVidia NIC supplied by nVidia and the driver
for the 3Com NIC supplied by 3Com.

My first ASUS board was for my Pentium 75 many many years ago, which
was fantastic. I have worked on hardware for 10 plus years and I am
extremely disappointed in this board. ASUS is not what they used to
be. If I were to do it over I would probably take a chance on another
brand.

It's an excellent board, learn how to configure it.

LOOK FOR ANOTHER BOARD ! If ASUS actually stood behind their
products and even acknowledged my issues, I would have a different
opinion.

Asus support is disappointing at best, but all you need is here.

Ben

Old May 13th 04, 04:27 PM
Doug Ramage

"edde" wrote in message
"Ben Pope" wrote in message
wolfgang wagner wrote:
hi all!

The A7N8X and A7N8X Deluxe pre-Rev 2.0 boards are to be avoided (I doubt
anybody has stock any more), the E is a much newer board based off of

the
Rev 2.0 Deluxe, I'd imagine.

Just buy one, you'll be fine.

Ben

I have an A7N8X Deluxe Rev1.04 with the latest 1007 bios and it rocks!

I've
had it for over 1yr, and it's 100% stable and fast. I can even run the fsb
at 400mhz with default voltages etc, both with stock 3200+ bartons and I
also used to overclock my 2800+ to 400mhz fsb. Not a thing wrong with

these
pre Rev2 boards.

I think you are one of the (few) lucky ones. What RAM are you using?
--
Doug Ramage

Old May 14th 04, 12:47 AM
Marc

SNIP

could someone tell me please, which is the current board revison for
this board??
id like to buy this board but do not want any older one...

thanx in advance

wolfgang

I bought one this past weekend. Rev 1.01
So far so good!
Marc

Old May 14th 04, 01:52 PM
wolfgang wagner

wolfgang wagner wrote:
hi all!

could someone tell me please, which is the current board revison for
this board??
id like to buy this board but do not want any older one...

thanx in advance

wolfgang

hmmmmm, i wonder about rev. 1.01 because asus support told me the
current revision is 1.04!!! only a few resellers would have a limited
amount of rev1.02 in stock...

hmmmm.... time to wait for the packet...

cu
wolfgang
Old May 14th 04, 10:55 PM
edde

"Doug Ramage" wrote in message

I have an A7N8X Deluxe Rev1.04 with the latest 1007 bios and it rocks!

I've
had it for over 1yr, and it's 100% stable and fast. I can even run the

fsb
at 400mhz with default voltages etc, both with stock 3200+ bartons and I
also used to overclock my 2800+ to 400mhz fsb. Not a thing wrong with

these
pre Rev2 boards.

I think you are one of the (few) lucky ones. What RAM are you using?
--
Doug Ramage

Nope. I've talked to quite a few people who have no problems with the 1.04
and 1.06 boards running at 400mhz.
I am using 2x512MB OCZ PC3200EL memory at 5-2-2 timings. My Barton 3200+
works flawlessly at 400mhz fsb since the 1004 bios which provided official
support for this processor. Everything at default voltages.
I think some people have trouble because of crappy components, usually RAM
and Powersupply.
Or, they are overclocking.