Computer running in tented home?

Old October 12th 04, 11:37 PM
Bob Abrahms

Default Computer running in tented home?

Is it safe to leave a computer running (as a server) in a home that is
being tented for fumigation?
Old October 13th 04, 12:18 AM
Dave C.

"Bob Abrahms" wrote in message
nk.net...
Is it safe to leave a computer running (as a server) in a home that is
being tented for fumigation?

I would think it would be OK. Heck, that's one way to debug a server.
Only, I'd be sure to leave it running for at least 48 hours straight after
fresh air has been restored to the building. I don't think it will hurt the
computer. I'd be curious as to what the home is being fumigated with though
.. . . I'd hate to have flammable fumes sucked through a hot power supply,
for example. -Dave

Old October 13th 04, 01:50 AM
JAD

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?
first of all they are going to shut off the electricity before they gas it.
WHY? cause the concentrated gas is combustible. you have never heard of
people bombing their house with even the cheap foggers and doing an overkill
of ten foggers..then the water heater kicks on or the vapors reach the
forgotten pilots on the stove..gas and power are going to be shut off.

Old October 13th 04, 03:59 AM
Dave C.

"JAD" wrote in message
ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?
first of all they are going to shut off the electricity before they gas
it.
WHY? cause the concentrated gas is combustible. you have never heard of
people bombing their house with even the cheap foggers and doing an
overkill
of ten foggers..then the water heater kicks on or the vapors reach the
forgotten pilots on the stove..gas and power are going to be shut off.

That's why I was asking if the **** was flammable. I've never heard of
houses blowing up from overkill of cheap foggers. But it would make sense,
if the stuff was flammable. -Dave

Old October 13th 04, 06:22 AM
ric

"Dave C." wrote:

That's why I was asking if the **** was flammable. I've never heard of
houses blowing up from overkill of cheap foggers. But it would make sense,
if the stuff was flammable. -Dave

I see it on the news quite often here in Southern California. Somebody
has a cockroach problem, and instead of hiring a professional they use
10 or 20 of the foggers. House is lifted right off of the foundation.

Humorous, really.
Old October 13th 04, 08:00 AM
Matt

Bob Abrahms wrote:
Is it safe to leave a computer running (as a server) in a home that is
being tented for fumigation?

I would think there would be some safety literature available from
whoever supplies the fumigant.
Old October 13th 04, 01:23 PM
Roby

ric wrote:

"Dave C." wrote:

That's why I was asking if the **** was flammable. I've never heard of
houses blowing up from overkill of cheap foggers. But it would make
sense,
if the stuff was flammable. -Dave

I see it on the news quite often here in Southern California. Somebody
has a cockroach problem, and instead of hiring a professional they use
10 or 20 of the foggers. House is lifted right off of the foundation.

Humorous, really.

Well, it DOES solve the roach problem, doesn't it?

In Olden Times, aerosol cans were pressurized with Freon - non-explosive but
bad for the environment. When laws stopped that, the industry switched to
stuff like butane and a new problem arose.

Old October 13th 04, 03:35 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

Hard drive internals need to breathe, but are not ventilated as such.
o They have a small hole to equalise pressure between inside & outside
o Hence the name "breather hole", also called "do not cover" :-)

The breather hole is not a vacant hole, but has a filter membrane over it:
o The filter membrane is porous to air molecules for pressure equalisation
o It is non-porous to any solid matter large enough to cause a head crash

That said I recall manufacturers do not advise the use of drives in very
severe particulate environments - perhaps as much re membrane clogging.
There is no "conventional airflow" - merely as the drive heats/cools it will
cause air inside it to expand/contact - and migrate out/in across the filter.

Hard drives often cite a limit to usage based on altitude:
o That might be related to drive internal air pressure
---- since the head floats on a thin layer of air
o It might also be due to air density, and so air mass re cooling
---- fans are constant *volume* air movement devices
---- increase altitude and so the *mass* of air moved falls

Cooling is based on heat transfer to a given mass of air, so cooling
at sea-level may become unsatisfactory at very high altitude.

So hard-drives are not ventilated per se, they have a breather hole.
Volatile compounds used in fumigation could enter a hard-drive thro the
breather hole if the drive is cooling from hot to cool in that environment.
Fumigation is designed to get everywhere - or it will not work.

In reality I would not worry - except to adhere to fumigation guidelines :-)
Hard drives are vastly more vulnerable to extremes of temperature.

Power will almost certainly be disconnected since you do not want any
airflow in the house to cause inadequate treatment anywhere. If they are
using Butane as the propellant, that would also make things exciting.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans (free shipping)

Old October 13th 04, 05:02 PM
Al Smith

Is it safe to leave a computer running (as a server) in a home that is
being tented for fumigation?

I don't think I'd want the gas getting into the little air holes
in my hard drives.
Old October 13th 04, 05:06 PM
Al Smith

Hard drive internals need to breathe, but are not ventilated as such.
o They have a small hole to equalise pressure between inside & outside
o Hence the name "breather hole", also called "do not cover" :-)

The breather hole is not a vacant hole, but has a filter membrane over it:
o The filter membrane is porous to air molecules for pressure equalisation
o It is non-porous to any solid matter large enough to cause a head crash

That said I recall manufacturers do not advise the use of drives in very
severe particulate environments - perhaps as much re membrane clogging.
There is no "conventional airflow" - merely as the drive heats/cools it will
cause air inside it to expand/contact - and migrate out/in across the filter.

[rest snipped]

An uncommonly cogent response. I learned stuff. Makes me remember
why, long ago, I used to think Usenet was useful for something.