Clone IDE to SATA hard drive

Old September 29th 04, 10:09 PM
TOM B WILSON

Default Clone IDE to SATA hard drive

Hi, I have a Asus K8V SE Deluxe (VIA chipset) and I want to clone my Maxtor
80 gig IDE drive to a 200 gig Western Digital SATA drive.

I have Windows XP

I only thing I figured out how to get the SATA drive working was to install
a new copy of windows by installing the VIA drivers during/before
installation (F6)

Once I acomplished this (only way to get the SATA drive to be recognized), I
used Ghost to clone the Maxtor to the Western Digital and it seemed to work,
but when booting the WD drive it would never boot all the way into windows.
(got stuck at the blue screen with the window xp logo, mouse (cursor) would
work)

Is it possible to clone (if so, how?)
or do I have to start all over with a new copy of Windows if I want to use
the SATA drive?

Extra info: The SATA drive shows up as a SCSI drive in the device manager.

Thanx, Tom

(side question: is the SATA drive info supposed to show up in the bios
where the ide drive stats are?) (primary, secondary)

Old September 29th 04, 10:19 PM
Michael Hawes

"TOM B WILSON" wrote in message
[...]

Have you set system to boot from SCSI?
Mike.

Old September 30th 04, 06:06 PM
Dave

You have to make sure the Volume ID on the second drive is identical to that
of the first.

Dave

Old October 2nd 04, 09:46 PM
Barry

TOM B WILSON wrote:
Hi, I have a Asus K8V SE Deluxe (VIA chipset) and I want to clone my Maxtor
80 gig IDE drive to a 200 gig Western Digital SATA drive.

There's probably a utility available from the WD website to do this.
Most drive manufacturers provide this software.