Question about "burning in" a new system

Old January 31st 04, 06:05 AM
Mr.Mom

Default Question about "burning in" a new system

I am currently in the process of building a system. I have in the past,
like many in this group, replaced just about everything in my systems. But,
this is my first attempt at a complete system from scratch. I have noticed
that many of the bigger gaming computer system companies (Alienware, Falcon,
VooDoo) tout the fact that they put their systems through vigorous and time
intensive tests to "burn in" the system and test it for overall performance.
I have also noticed that many in this group have mentioned that they have
run one program or another to do that very same thing. Is this something I
should consider? and what programs can I run to really push my new system?
BTW, I am putting together a relatively high end system... Also, sorry if
this is running on and on... I have put the kids to bed and had a few
drinks. Tomorrow, this may all look like gibberish. hehe )

Mr. Mom

Old January 31st 04, 06:51 AM
Chris Simpson

I would not worry about it too much, you can get sysoft sandra and use
it... Just do a search for it on downloads.com...

Old January 31st 04, 11:44 AM
EWhite

If you want to "Burn-in" your system run folding@home from
http://folding.stanford.edu for a day or so. It pegs your CPU for the good
of humanity best of all it is designed to run in the background so you
can still use the system fine.
If your worried about the graphics play some UT2K3 and raise your resolution
to 1600x1200 w/ the setting maxxed for an hour or so.
~Eric

Old January 31st 04, 02:41 PM
RedBack

"Mr.Mom" wrote in message
[...]

Go here and download Prime 95 then run it for 6 - 24 hours, it the
program over clockers use to test the stability of their systems.
http://ocwarehouse.com/downloads/
RedBack
Old January 31st 04, 03:37 PM
Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)

on Sat January 31 2004 12:05 am, Mr.Mom decided to enlighten us with:

[...]

There is a free download version of SiSoft Sandra that has a burn-in module.
This is used mainly to stress test an overclocked machine to make sure it's
stable and running cool. You'd never want to do something like defrag the
system without making sure an overclocked machine is absolutely stable.

--
Big Daddy Ruel Smith

My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
9:35am up 5 days 0:10, 2 users, load average: 0.36, 0.57, 0.37

My Windows XP machine uptime:
Something less...

Old January 31st 04, 03:56 PM
S.Heenan

Mr.Mom wrote:
I am currently in the process of building a system. I have in the
past, like many in this group, replaced just about everything in my
systems. But, this is my first attempt at a complete system from
scratch. I have noticed that many of the bigger gaming computer
system companies (Alienware, Falcon, VooDoo) tout the fact that they
put their systems through vigorous and time intensive tests to "burn
in" the system and test it for overall performance. I have also
noticed that many in this group have mentioned that they have run one
program or another to do that very same thing. Is this something I
should consider? and what programs can I run to really push my new
system?

Prime95, SiSoft SANDRA, Toast.exe, Super Pi and 3DMark2001SE are all good
tools to stress various hardware components.

www.Mersenne.org
http://www.sisoftware.net/
http://majorgeeks.com/download867.html
http://pw1.netcom.com/~hjsmith/Pi/Super_Pi.html
http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark2001.shtml

Old January 31st 04, 06:07 PM
Spajky®

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:05:50 -0700, "Mr.Mom"
wrote:

I am currently in the process of building a system. I have in the past,
like many in this group, replaced just about everything in my systems. But,
this is my first attempt at a complete system from scratch.

first install OS & programs you use, than optimise everything there &
than make Ghosted copy of the sistem before you start forcing Burn-in
after few days of normal work & maybe OC-ing later. Do it slowly that
machine "settles" down in a month or so ... so you can be sure, that
if anything screws later was not bad hardware or bad installations
involved!

-- Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

System restarting Question [email protected] General 1 January 21st 05 11:36 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 12:01 PM
system memory question Jeff B Overclocking 2 November 17th 03 03:11 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM