New HD in Dell Dimension 4300?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 2nd 03, 02:47 PM
Leif K-Brooks

Default New HD in Dell Dimension 4300?

I own a Dell Dimension 4300. I want to install a new 120GB hard drive
in it, with 40GB extra for Windows and 80GB for a new SuSE Linux
installation. I have a few questions:

1) Which hard drive would everyone reccomend? I don't need something
incredibly fast, but not really slow either. I'm hoping to spend less
than $200 on the hard drive.
2) According to the Dell website
(http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/syst...ce.htm#1124764
step 8), I should install the new hard drive in the upper bay and move
the existing one into the lower bay. Why can't I install the new one in
the lower bay?
3) I'm planning to buy an anti-static mat and wrist strap. Should I
just touch the metal on the computer like Dell says?
4) Once I install the hard drive, how would I correctly partition it for
my purposes? I'm guessing I would make a 40GB partition for Windows and
let the SuSE installer make the other. How would I do that, or is it
the correct way?