Lenovo T500 ram

Old April 25th 20, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Philo565

Default Lenovo T500 ram

Windows 8, head to Control Panel System. You can also hit Start and search for “system” to find the page quickly. Look for the “System type” entry to see whether your operating system and processor are 32-bit or 64-bit

If you have 32 bit but have already ordered RAM.

Consider a fresh install of Win10 64 bit.

No rush through.

Maybe on a new HD and dual boot.
Old April 25th 20, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 08:31:34 -0700 (PDT), Philo565
wrote:

Windows 8, head to Control Panel System.
You can also hit Start and search for system to find the page quickly.
System type - to see whether your operating system and processor are 32-bit or 64-bit
If you have 32 bit but have already ordered RAM.
Consider a fresh install of Win10 64 bit.
No rush through.
Maybe on a new HD and dual boot.

OK - sorry I thought that was just processor.
64 bit Operating Syatem , x-64 based processor.
Thanks ;
John T.

Old April 25th 20, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Philo565

Then all is good.

If you do someday go to Win10 ... at least 8 gigs of ram would be advised.
Old April 25th 20, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 05:15:09 -0700 (PDT), Philo565
wrote:

Unless you are using the 64 bit version of the OS (which I doubt)
only about 3.2 gigs can be utilized, so going over 4 gigs will be a waste of money.

I can't find that info ... 64 bit ?

Win 8.1 Pro Version 6.3 Build 9600

John T.

Here's a comparison (two snapshots).

https://i.postimg.cc/tTxtfjHL/which-bitness.gif

Amount RAM Amount usable
installed 32-bit OS 64-bit OS

3GB 3GB 3GB
4GB 3.5GB 4GB
5GB 3.5GB 5GB
6GB 3.5GB 6GB
7GB 3.5GB 7GB
8GB 3.5GB 8GB

The "exact amount", the 3.5GB number, is a function
of the onboard RAM of the video card. Two 1GB video
cards running in SLI mode could drop the usable
RAM shown in the System panel to only 2GB available.

On a laptop with integrated graphics, the number
could be anywhere from 3GB to 3.5GB or so.

Gamers got penalized the most, from the handling of
the address space. The address space staying below 4GB,
in the belief that PCI cards would not need "bounce
buffers" to run in PAE mode.

*******

This guy ran 8GB of RAM on a 32-bit OS, by hacking an
unsigned kernel. Proving that the concern about bounce
buffers and the like (as Russinovich said), is unnecessary,
and "wearing a pair of shoes that pinch your toes" is so so
unnecessary. Thanks, Microsoft.

http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer....nse/memory.htm

Paul
Old April 25th 20, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

[...]

Thanks everyone. Moot - for now anyway -
the ram stick is not compatible or defective ?
G.Skill F3-12800CL9S-4GB SQ series DDR3-1600
I tried it in every combination/position with the 2 old
DIMMs - 1-3-3-1 beeps every time.
Live & learn.
One of the Lenovo forums had someone post that
they always had troubles with the bargain ram with
these machines..
John T.

Old April 25th 20, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

Thanks everyone. Moot - for now anyway -
the ram stick is not compatible or defective ?
G.Skill F3-12800CL9S-4GB SQ series DDR3-1600
I tried it in every combination/position with the 2 old
DIMMs - 1-3-3-1 beeps every time.
Live & learn.
One of the Lenovo forums had someone post that
they always had troubles with the bargain ram with
these machines..
John T.

Every company (that does binning), tends to have
grades of memory. And in the past, you could
find "reputable" companies that would issue
some crap that could barely make the posted
speed (that's their "value" line, so-called).

I have ten sticks of G.Skill and zero failures.

Those sticks use Hynix RAM, and in terms of
bus performance, the memory chips work up
to 2400 without needing to be binned.
That means they can do stuck-at testing
and verify no bits are stuck, but they
don't need to do hours of testing to prove
the stick can drive the bus at 2400. A 15 minute
test with those is enough.

As a contrast, I bought eight sticks of a
no-name RAM and five of those have died.
The chip maker (the name printed on the chip)
is "Micro-Q", which I've never heard of. It
could be these were UTT chips and someone stamped
that name on them. But it's more likely it's a real
company of some sort. Those DIMMs are an older generation.

What I've been able to determine about those,
are the failures are related to a chemistry problem.
If you store the machine (without CMOS battery) in
the junk room for two years, all three DIMMs plugged
into the machine will fail. If I took the remaining
three DIMMs and left them in the machine, they'd
be dead by now. This is some kind of chemistry failure
abetted by the DIMMs being plugged into sockets. If I
leave the DIMMs in antistatic bags, and only plug
them in when using the machine, they're fine.

That's what buying no-name gets you.

Paul
Old April 26th 20, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Lenovo T500 ram * success *

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 15:06:00 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Exchanged the above for
G.Skill F3-8500CL7S-4GB SQ DDR3-1066
and it worked.
" 6.00 GB installed 5.90 GB usable "
re-used the old 2 GB
Not sure if I'll see any performance improvement or not.
Thanks for all the help everyone.
John T.

Old April 26th 20, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

[...]

Based on the reduction in speed from 12800 to 8500,
it's a different generation of chip, and it might
well be a 16-chip 4GB module.

In this case, it's not a "bargain RAM" problem, but
rather a density issue. And those are hard to detect
without some "evidence" from previous failures to
work. That gets your suspicions running, and provides
the impetus to hunt down the docs (whereever they're
hiding this week).

Paul
Old April 26th 20, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

[...]

I suspect you are right. This working DIMM has 8 chips;
the prior one that didn't work had 4 chips.
Although the 1 GB that was removed working had 4.
MT4JSF12864 Hz-1G4D1 PC3-10600S-9-10-C1 1Rx16
John T.