Extra Recovery Partitions

Old April 16th 18, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
SC Tom

Default Extra Recovery Partitions

Running Win10 Home x64 on a system I built, but using a HDD from a Lenovo
that is out of use. I used the same OS installation- it found and installed
the drivers I needed for the new MB and CPU, and everything runs like
nothing was changed.
Opening Disk Management shows some extra partitions that I don't think I
need, but am not sure which ones to keep, and which to delete. Here's a
screen shot of DM:

http://tinypic.com/m/ju7jfm/3

If I right-click on any partition other than the Boot one, my only option is
"Help", which brings me to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/overview-of-disk-management#about-those-extra-recovery-partitions

I'm willing to bet the OEM and the 30GB ones are from the Lenovo, but how do
I tell, and how do I get rid of them if they are?

Thanks!
--

SC Tom

Old April 16th 18, 02:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

SC Tom wrote:
Running Win10 Home x64 on a system I built, but using a HDD from a
Lenovo that is out of use. I used the same OS installation- it found and
installed the drivers I needed for the new MB and CPU, and everything
runs like nothing was changed.
Opening Disk Management shows some extra partitions that I don't think I
need, but am not sure which ones to keep, and which to delete. Here's a
screen shot of DM:

http://tinypic.com/m/ju7jfm/3

If I right-click on any partition other than the Boot one, my only
option is "Help", which brings me to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/overview-of-disk-management#about-those-extra-recovery-partitions

I'm willing to bet the OEM and the 30GB ones are from the Lenovo, but
how do I tell, and how do I get rid of them if they are?

Thanks!

Perhaps TestDisk can look inside.

TestDisk is an acquired taste, because of the menu system.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

"Press p to list its files"

Now what should happen, is even if the partition is a
hidden type, you should be able to look at it.

To look from Linux, requires doing stuff like changing
the partition type from 0x27 to 0x07 to make the hidden NTFS
visible, and then it depends on whether your $MFTMIRR is damaged
as to whether the partition will mount.

As a result, I'd have to go with TestDisk first. TestDisk
is included on Linux. But is also available for Windows as
a download.

HTH,
Paul
Old April 16th 18, 05:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Tim[_19_]

"SC Tom" wrote in news

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...disk-managemen
t/overview-of-disk-management#about-those-extra-recovery-partitions

I'm willing to bet the OEM and the 30GB ones are from the Lenovo, but
how do I tell, and how do I get rid of them if they are?

Thanks!

I was able to use Mini Tool Partition Wizard to explore the contents of the
recovery partion on my system drive.
Old April 16th 18, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
SC Tom

"Paul" wrote in message
news
SC Tom wrote:
[...]

Yikes, way over my head :-( I don't get the "Press 'P' to list its files"
anywhere that I can see. I think I'll try the MiniTool Partition Wizard that
Tim suggested :-)
--

SC Tom

Old April 16th 18, 06:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
SC Tom

"Tim" wrote in message
. 28...
"SC Tom" wrote in news
[...]

Thanks, that's just what I needed!
The 500MB partition is labeled LRS_ESP, which seems to be the Lenovo EFI
System Partion, according to googling.
The 30GB one is labeled LENOVO_PART, and contains old files that I believe
would be to recover back to factory state using the OneKey boot-up, if it
was still in the Lenovo PC.

I think I'll blow both of them away, but not before I create a disk image
:-)

Thanks again for your help!
--

SC Tom

Old April 16th 18, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

SC Tom wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
. 28...
"SC Tom" wrote in news
[...]

So what's in an EFI partition exactly ?

Does it have a .wim file ?

Or does it have just a few .efi files ?

I can never keep track of why there are
so many "emergency this and that" things
in these installs.

The 30GB might be safer to toss.

And is there an Active flag in there somewhere ?
You'd probably want to preserve whatever
partition has the Active flag. That's if there
is one.

Paul
Old April 16th 18, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Larc[_3_]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 16:17:03 GMT, Tim wrote:

| "SC Tom" wrote in news |
| Running Win10 Home x64 on a system I built, but using a HDD from a
| Lenovo that is out of use. I used the same OS installation- it found
| and installed the drivers I needed for the new MB and CPU, and
| everything runs like nothing was changed.
| Opening Disk Management shows some extra partitions that I don't think
| I need, but am not sure which ones to keep, and which to delete.
| Here's a screen shot of DM:
|
| http://tinypic.com/m/ju7jfm/3
|
| If I right-click on any partition other than the Boot one, my only
| option is "Help", which brings me to:
|
| https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...disk-managemen
| t/overview-of-disk-management#about-those-extra-recovery-partitions
|
| I'm willing to bet the OEM and the 30GB ones are from the Lenovo, but
| how do I tell, and how do I get rid of them if they are?
|
| Thanks!
|
| I was able to use Mini Tool Partition Wizard to explore the contents of the
| recovery partion on my system drive.

My main drive has a 100 MB UEFI partition, a 16 MB MSR partition and then C: (system
partition). Nothing more. I always have fresh Macrium Reflect backups and Windows
installation media, so have no need for any recovery partition. Each Windows 10
spring and fall update steals 450 MB at the end of C and creates a recovery
partition, but I delete it and merge that space back into C.

Larc
Old April 16th 18, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Tim[_19_]

"SC Tom" wrote in news

Yikes, way over my head :-( I don't get the "Press 'P' to list its
files" anywhere that I can see. I think I'll try the MiniTool
Partition Wizard that Tim suggested :-)

This popped up from HowToGeek today. Instead of doing 'remove' to remove
the drive letter, there should be an equivalent command to add a drive
letter. Just be very careful that you have the correct volume selected or
you can really mess things up.

https://www.howtogeek.com/348168/how...tion-or-other-
drive-in-windows/
Old April 16th 18, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
...w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Larc wrote:

My main drive has a 100 MB UEFI partition, a 16 MB MSR partition and then C: (system
partition). Nothing more. I always have fresh Macrium Reflect backups and Windows
installation media, so have no need for any recovery partition. Each Windows 10
spring and fall update steals 450 MB at the end of C and creates a recovery
partition, but I delete it and merge that space back into C.

The 16MB MSR partition indicates GPT instead of an MBR partition type

Fyi...The 100 MB UEFI partition is the *System* partition(aka Volume)
that holds the bootloader files. The C: partition is the Boot
Partition(aka Volume) that holds the operating system.

The nomenclature can be confusing naming the o/s the Boot
Volume(Partition). The easiest way to rationalize the two
- System Partition handshakes with the motherboard, loads the
bootloader files, boots the device then passes control to the Boot
Volume to load Windows.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ
msft mvp 2007-2016, insider mvp 2016-2018
Old April 17th 18, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
SC Tom

"Paul" wrote in message
news
SC Tom wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
. 28...
"SC Tom" wrote in news
[...]

It had a.wim and a WinRE folder and a few Lenovo related files. My guess it
was the start folder when one pressed the F12 key on boot-up and restored to
factory (which, in this case, WAS Win8). The 30GB partition had the
reinstallation files and the drivers to go with it. Got rid of both and
merged them with my C: partition. Boots just fine :-)
--

SC Tom