Dell Inspiron 8600 vs. 8500

Old November 3rd 03, 12:28 PM
Dan

The 8600 has the Pentium M processor (basically a centrino notebook if it
has the wireless intel 802.11b card with it). It has improved battery life
over other processors. Also, the ram runs at 333Mhz. The inspiron 8500 has
the Pentium 4-M processor and ram that runs at 266Mhz. If you need improved
battery life and wireless networking, I would say go for the 8600. You can
check out reviews of both over at www.cnet.com to see how they perform.
Also, I believe the fastest video card available on the 8500 is the 64 meg
GF 4 Go 4200 as opposed to the 8600 which is the 128 meg GF 5650. I've also
seen many threads in the U.S. dell support forums which deal with the
comparison of the two systems. Hope this helps!
"N Iko" wrote in message
Hello there,

can anybody tell me, if or what is the difference in the processors of
Dell Inspiron 8600/8500?

Or is the difference only in the RAM speed? Does that make a big
difference? Does anybody have experience or advises which one to buy?

Thanks, Niko

Old November 4th 03, 02:28 AM

8500 uses pentium 4 chips

8600 uses pentium M chips for Centrino / uses less power and battery
last longer, I've been getting 4 to 5 hours on a charge. I don't know
how long the battery last on the 8500, but would imaine 2-3 hours.

Old November 5th 03, 01:28 AM
Dan

To go from Pentium M to pentium 4, add 800Mhz to the pentium M clock rate.
Ex. 1.4Ghz pentium = about equal to 2.2Ghz pentium 4

Old November 5th 03, 04:04 AM
Whelan

"dGerbZ" wrote in message
om...
8600 a much better choice as price difference is minimal.

That's what I'm thinking now too.
I ordered a 8500 last week but wish I'd ordered the 8600 instead.
On the Pentium 4, I ordered 2.4ghz.
I don't know how these Centrino ghz numbers of 1.3-1.8 compare. (Maybe
that's why I didn't order the 8600; thinking the ghz were too low.)
Nan

Old November 5th 03, 02:15 PM
scott

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 04:04:08 GMT, "Whelan"
wrote:

"dGerbZ" wrote in message
. com...
8600 a much better choice as price difference is minimal.

That's what I'm thinking now too.
I ordered a 8500 last week but wish I'd ordered the 8600 instead.
On the Pentium 4, I ordered 2.4ghz.
I don't know how these Centrino ghz numbers of 1.3-1.8 compare. (Maybe
that's why I didn't order the 8600; thinking the ghz were too low.)
Nan

Cancel our order and order the one you want. If too late, you can
send it back get refund and order what you want.
Old November 5th 03, 03:23 PM
Rich Cervenka

wrote:

That's what I'm thinking now too.
I ordered a 8500 last week but wish I'd ordered the 8600 instead.
On the Pentium 4, I ordered 2.4ghz.
I don't know how these Centrino ghz numbers of 1.3-1.8 compare. (Maybe
that's why I didn't order the 8600; thinking the ghz were too low.)

Someone in this newsgroup stated that approximate equivalency can be
obtained by adding .8GHz to the speed of the M processor numbers.
Therefore, a Pentium 4 2.4GHz chip is approximately the same as an M
processor operating at 1.6GHz.

If you're serious about having regrets about ordering the 8500 instead
of the 8600, like the other respondent said, either cancel your order
and order an 8600 or wait until you get your 8500, send it back within
30 days and order an 8600.

Best regards.
--
Rich Cervenka
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Old November 5th 03, 05:02 PM
Whelan

It shipped yesterday, so we'll examine it but maybe send it back.

Not sure how that works -- (I hate to ask the salesman to explain it to me.)
Where is Dell's Return Policy stated?

In addition to 8600 (or 5150), I wonder if SXGA would be a smarter choice
than XGA on a widescreen?
(We'll soon get to see the WXGA in person.)
Nan