8600 or 8500

Old October 19th 03, 05:35 PM
Ryuji Yokoyama

Default 8600 or 8500

Hello All!

I am thinking of buying Inspiron 8500 or 8600 and have some questions.
Why newer machine (8600) equips with slower CPU? What is the advantage
of 8600 over 8500? I know 8600 can have a better graphic card.
Besides, the graphic card, is there any reason to chose 8600? If you use
8600 or 8500, could you tell me pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.
Old October 19th 03, 06:41 PM
Bill Joy

The 8600 uses new CPU design that reduces power consumption for longer
battery life. It also has twice the cache and a new supporting chipset
which helps make it faster despite what you would expect just on the
frequency. Here is a chart that compares them:

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provi...oprovider.html

Old October 19th 03, 10:02 PM
Edward J. Neth

Yes. The battery life for the 8600 will be superior, along with less noise
(the Pentium-M is a cooler-running CPU than the Pentium4-m).

The Pentium-M is a more efficient CPU computation-wise than the
Pentium4-m -- so clock speeds are not directly comparable.

Old October 20th 03, 12:05 PM
Tiny Tim

Bill Joy wrote:
The 8600 uses new CPU design that reduces power consumption for longer
battery life. It also has twice the cache and a new supporting
chipset which helps make it faster despite what you would expect just
on the frequency. Here is a chart that compares them:

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provi...oprovider.html

There was also a review of the 8600 on Anandtech recently, mainly looking at
speed/performance and it blew away a lot of desktops with higher Ghz rated
P4 chips.

--
Remove leading underscore to reply by email.
For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

Old October 22nd 03, 02:13 AM
Turner

I would not buy either one. The new Dells are made very cheap like. They
even feel flimsy. Take a look at IBM or Toshiba. A much better built machine
with better support.