external harddisk

Old November 3rd 04, 04:21 PM
Dipl

Default external harddisk

I want to buy a hard disk to use with an external case (I want to buy them
in 2 pieces, not all in one)

I want 160 - 200 giga
I already have an external case with USB2 and Firewire

What kind of hard disk do I have to buy ?
Is it important if it is IDE, ATA, SATA (I don't know what these mean)

Old November 3rd 04, 08:09 PM
Joris Dobbelsteen

Check the connector inside the external case. A wide (40-pin) connector
means IDE/ATA (usually its called IDE). Both terms are used to point to the
same interface.

SATA is newer, has a smaller cable (much less pins) and its (slightly)
faster. For modern system SATA devices are recommended and most modern
boards support it today. Usually its listed with your board that it supports
SATA.
All boards today still support IDE, as its still being used by CD-ROMS.

The harddisks of 160-200 GB of all major vendors are available in IDE and
SATA models.
Just buy the one you need, just check out the external case or just take it
to the store. Their they should be capable enough to give you advice on what
to buy...

- Joris

Old November 3rd 04, 08:48 PM
BR549

If you already have an external case then its USB2/Firewire interface would
determine the type of drive you need to purchase. What type of internal
cable does the case have?

Old November 3rd 04, 08:51 PM
Grinder

Dipl wrote:
I want to buy a hard disk to use with an external case (I want to buy them
in 2 pieces, not all in one)

I want 160 - 200 giga
I already have an external case with USB2 and Firewire

What kind of hard disk do I have to buy ?
Is it important if it is IDE, ATA, SATA (I don't know what these mean)

IDE is (improperly) another term for Parallel ATA (or PATA)
ATA generally refers to Parallel ATA (PATA)
SATA is Serial ATA

Your enclosures specs should indicate which type of interfaces it
supports. If you can't decipher what it says, try to post a link to
production information for the group to review.
Old November 3rd 04, 10:59 PM
kony

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:21:42 +0100, "Dipl"
wrote:

I want to buy a hard disk to use with an external case (I want to buy them
in 2 pieces, not all in one)

I want 160 - 200 giga
I already have an external case with USB2 and Firewire

What kind of hard disk do I have to buy ?
Is it important if it is IDE, ATA, SATA (I don't know what these mean)

Some external cases don't support large drives, you'll need
to determine if yours does, perhaps with Google search if
the manufacturer's product page or manual doesn't detail
this.

Odds are very high that it uses an ATA/IDE drive, though
opening it you should clearly see if it has the ATA/IDE 40
pin connector. IF ATA/IDE, you can buy any ATA/IDE drive of
the apporpriate size (of the enclosure, 2.5 or 3.5") keeping
in mind the potential size limitation I mentioned above.

Turn 2.5-inch notebook harddisk into portable USB storage Andy Leung General 0 August 15th 04 09:23 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Problem with External Hard Drive Flake General 5 February 17th 04 06:14 PM
Firewire Harddisk Problems on Clevo Notebook and WIndows XP RayM General 2 September 21st 03 05:48 AM
Harddisk doesn't stop spinning! Patrick Graffeille General 1 August 24th 03 01:19 AM