Overcoming 8GB BIOS limit

Old February 22nd 05, 10:46 PM
Michael

Default Overcoming 8GB BIOS limit

Hello,
I have a P166 computer running Windows ME on a 40GB Western Digital
hard drive. The BIOS limits the system to seeing only 8GB of the
drive, so the whole partition is 8GB. My question is, is there any way
to make another partition in the other 32GB without reformatting the
entire drive? I tried WD's Data Lifeguard, but that tells you that by
starting it will erase all information on the disk.

Old February 22nd 05, 11:52 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Michael" wrote in message oups.com...
Hello,
I have a P166 computer running Windows ME on a 40GB Western Digital
hard drive. The BIOS limits the system to seeing only 8GB of the drive,

so the whole partition is 8GB.

You used DOS or Windows Setup CD to partition it?

My question is, is there any way to make another partition in the other
32GB without reformatting the entire drive? I tried WD's Data Life
guard, but that tells you that by starting it will erase all information
on the disk.

A partition resizer working from Windows could do it but you can also
edit the MBR and change the free space partition (type 00) to end at
40GB using Powerquest's PTEdit and then use Fdisk from within ME to
add other partitions.
Just fill in the "Sectors Before" (16,777,278) and the remaining
number of sectors in "Sectors" (67,000,000 or thereabout).

Old February 23rd 05, 01:30 AM
Michael

You used DOS or Windows Setup CD to partition it?
As I recall I used Fdisk in DOS.

A partition resizer working from Windows could do it but you
can also edit the MBR and change the free space partition
(type 00) to end at 40GB using Powerquest's PTEdit and then
use Fdisk from within ME to add other partitions.
Just fill in the "Sectors Before" (16,777,278) and the remaining
number of sectors in "Sectors" (67,000,000 or thereabout).

I have no idea how to edit the master boot record. How hard is it? Are
there any free Windows partition resizers?

Old February 23rd 05, 02:11 PM
Joep

"Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message

A partition resizer working from Windows could do it but you can also
edit the MBR and change the free space partition (type 00) to end at
40GB using Powerquest's PTEdit and then use Fdisk from within ME to
add other partitions.

There's no such thing as a "free space partition". Type 00 just means it is
an unused partition entry, any start and end values you'd enter would be
ignored. Change it to 0F and it may work although I'd not recommend it.

To OP: I'd ignore Folkert's advice. It's safer to make sure the BIOS or an
add-on disk controller does support the physical disk size than to use
semi-solutions as 'partition table hacks' or disk managers.

--
Joep

Old February 23rd 05, 02:13 PM
Joep

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have no idea how to edit the master boot record. How hard is it?

It can't be that hard if even Folkert can do it ...

--
Joep

Old February 23rd 05, 02:13 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Michael" wrote in message oups.com
You used DOS or Windows Setup CD to partition it?

As I recall I used Fdisk in DOS.

A partition resizer working from Windows could do it but you
can also edit the MBR and change the free space partition
(type 00) to end at 40GB using Powerquest's PTEdit and then
use Fdisk from within ME to add other partitions.
Just fill in the "Sectors Before" (16,777,278) and the remaining
number of sectors in "Sectors" (67,000,000 or thereabout).

I have no idea how to edit the master boot record. How hard is it?

I just told you how. How hard can it now be?

Are there any free Windows partition resizers?

Old February 23rd 05, 03:56 PM
Michael

There's no such thing as a "free space partition". Type 00 just means
it is
an unused partition entry, any start and end values you'd enter would

be
ignored. Change it to 0F and it may work although I'd not recommend

it.
I'm still confused about 00 or 0F, where would you change that?

To OP: I'd ignore Folkert's advice. It's safer to make sure the BIOS

or an
add-on disk controller does support the physical disk size than to use

semi-solutions as 'partition table hacks' or disk managers.

What exactly could go wrong?

I've checked for BIOS updates, and I already have the latest version. I
don't suppose it could help to set it up as the master on the same
controller as the CD-ROM (which is a slave)?

Old February 23rd 05, 04:26 PM
Joep

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
it.
I'm still confused about 00 or 0F, where would you change that?

Exactly my point. If you don't understand that it's unwise to start editing
the partition table unless the disk is intended to experiment with.

To OP: I'd ignore Folkert's advice. It's safer to make sure the BIOS

or an
add-on disk controller does support the physical disk size than to use

semi-solutions as 'partition table hacks' or disk managers.

What exactly could go wrong?

It's easy to mess up and to lose data unless you're aware of what you're
doing. If you want to learn about this you need a scratch disk (not
containing any of your vital data) and you'd need to do some reading and
experimenting. Good places to start a

http://www.datarescue.com/laboratory/partition.htm
http://www.partitionsupport.com/partitionnotes.htm

Once you grasped that, then you can judge yourself if you want to follow
Folkerts advice. I think Folkert is trying to show off a little, and IMO
it's unwise of him to make semi-casual, incorrect and incomplete suggestions
for editing the partition table.

I've checked for BIOS updates, and I already have the latest version.

In that case an add-on disk controller is the best option.

--
Joep

Old February 23rd 05, 04:41 PM
Joep

"Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message

I just told you how.

No you didn't. It's safe to assume this is the first time OP will even look
at a partition table. If you want to continue to be a smart-ass you explain
him to the letter. Tell him how to define a type 00 "free space partition".
I am curious as well.

--
Joep