GeForce4 Ti 4200 crash after 3D games

Old January 8th 04, 08:30 PM
nebyoolae

Default GeForce4 Ti 4200 crash after 3D games

This is a common problem on the boards, I can tell, but I thought I'd
add my own experience, since it seems to be a bit different than the
rest.

Comp Specs
----------
CPU: Athlon 2200+
Mobo: Abit NF7-S (latest BIOS)
RAM: 512 MB Crucial chip
HD: WD 80 GB (via SATA)
CD: Plextor 8/4/32
OS: WinXP Pro SP1
Vid: ASUS GeForce4 Ti 4200 (64MB)

Story
-----
I was using a GeForce2 MX 400 64MB card for a while and never had
problems. Then, of course, I wanted to play cool games with
lightning-fast graphics and such, so I figured I needed a new video
card. Thusly, I bought the 4200 because of reputation and price.

For a while, it worked wonders and had no problems. Then, all of a
sudden, my system started freezing up just doing basic Windows tasks
like Internet browsing, listening to music, chatting, etc. I got a
BSOD once, and it pointed to the graphics card being the culprit. So,
I switched in my old card, and everything was fine again.

I eventually sent the card off to get a replacement from ASUS, which
they graciously followed through with. I replaced the card, things
were cool again, but then I started getting a new kind of crash. For
the record, I got WinXP Pro SP1 about this time, when before I was
using a no-SP1 version.

The crash wouldn't happen until *after* I exited a game that used 3D.
The system font used to display the "Start" on the Start Menu, as well
as the Title Bar font for windows would get garbled and wouldn't fix
themselves until a reboot. Then, the garbled text would be the least
of my problems and the system would begin freezing up, the monitor
would flash off and on again a few times, and then it would just be
unresponsive until a reboot (and sometimes it took a couple reboots).

Long story short, I bought an FX9500 and it introduced a bunch more
odd graphical glitches to both WinXP and the bootup screens, as well
as not even being able to load 3D-intensive games. I took it back,
put the GeForce2 MX back in and all is well...except I can't play
cool, lightning-fast graphical 3D games! :-)

I upgraded my power supply from an Antec 300w to an Allied 500w to no
avail. The new PSU has a cool rainbow light show that emits from it,
so I think I'll keep it anyway, but it doesn't solve my problem.

Question
--------
Any ideas on what could be the main issue here?
Old January 8th 04, 09:15 PM
DaveL

What version driver?

These are not common problems. I have two ti4200s and two GF3 cards. None
of them have ever had any of those problems you speak of.

Dave

om...

Old January 8th 04, 11:57 PM
RL

I agree with Dave. Your issues are not common. I use a ti4200 and my
system is rock solid. I would recommend you cleaned your driver install.

"DaveL" wrote in message
What version driver?

These are not common problems. I have two ti4200s and two GF3 cards.

None
of them have ever had any of those problems you speak of.

Dave

om...

Old January 9th 04, 01:52 AM
news

I agree with the original post. I came here this evening to look for
resolution of the same problems. The system freezes, the screen blanks out,
comes back to life and then text is messed up. I have to reboot. I know its
the video card because I swapped it with an ATI card for a couple weeks and
had no problems. Doesn't sound like there is a resolution other than
replacement.

PS, I have tried the latest driver to no avail.

rwp

. com...

"DaveL" wrote in message
What version driver?

These are not common problems. I have two ti4200s and two GF3 cards.

None
of them have ever had any of those problems you speak of.

Dave

om...

Old January 9th 04, 04:17 AM
Beowulf

I've seen similar issues that you face. many occurred back in the days
when the the G1 ddr was new. A few questions:
- did you update chipset drivers?
- is your NS7-S revision 2 or older?
- what version on dx/d3d? the G2 is a dx7 card (? I think) and G4 is
dx8 and FX dx9. many dx 6, 7 games will cause all sort of whacky issues
on dx8/9 if not patched or updated.
- did you try an OPENGL game? If it runs fine, then dx is your culprit
- dx/d3d will cause desktop issues etc on game exit if it thunks.
pesonal note: MS and dx stinks as an API. Much prefer speed and
stability of OPENGL
- did you install dx/d3d before or after nvidia drivers? drivers should
be installed AFTER dx
- did you check BIOS settings? AGP aperture, timing, fastwrites/side
banding on/off. try backing off to 4xAGP from 8xAGP. there are 2
versions of each G4 - 4x and 8x AGP.
- overclocked?
- all fans working: chipset, CPU.
- what kind of case? fans blocked? G4/FX run a lot hotter as I found
out when I upgraded (G1DDR to G4ti4200 then ti4800). I needed an extra
case fan.
- How hot are you running? your system comes with Winbond hardware doctor.
- are all your mobo voltages nominal (esp. AGP volts)
- are you running the correct memory speed. I saw errors as yours when
PC100 memory was run at PC133. This mb can run ddr400.
- did you snap the G4/FX securely into the AGP slot? This is a VERY
common issue since it is sometimes hard t tell if its seated all the way.

Hope this provides a few hints and some ideas of where to look.

Old January 10th 04, 01:41 PM
Sacredflute

Actually I having the problem with 2 of the Geforce 4 TI 4200's now. The one
locks about 10 seconds into any 3d app, including 3d Chat. Swap it for
another car and no issues. Then the second one that is abotu the same age
started doing the same thing and shows some glitches in windows boxes. I
think I may go with a radeon XT. I'm afraid to try a FX card now.
"DaveL" wrote in message
What version driver?

These are not common problems. I have two ti4200s and two GF3 cards.

None
of them have ever had any of those problems you speak of.

Dave

om...

Old January 10th 04, 07:44 PM
David Mignon

Sacredflute a écrit :

Well, in my opinion, it can be a power supply problem (not enough
voltage for the videocard on activity peak...)
but of course it can be many many other things...

Old January 21st 04, 09:15 AM
nebyoolae

nebyoolae wrote:

[...]

The chipset drivers are the newest. The motherboard is NF7-S revision
2. I'm using DirectX 9. I tried an OpenGL game (NeverWinter Nights)
as well as SimGolf (which I'm not sure about). I installed DirectX 9
before the drivers. I don't overclock at all. The card is running
completely stock and the power supply has two fans. As for it being
too hot in the case itself, I dunno. BIOS settings are all default
and I didn't have problems with them when I first got the card. The
problems started popping up over time.
Old February 10th 04, 12:13 PM
smakdadi

The chipset drivers are the newest. The motherboard is NF7-S revision
2. I'm using DirectX 9. I tried an OpenGL game (NeverWinter Nights)
as well as SimGolf (which I'm not sure about). I installed DirectX 9
before the drivers. I don't overclock at all. The card is running
completely stock and the power supply has two fans. As for it being
too hot in the case itself, I dunno. BIOS settings are all default
and I didn't have problems with them when I first got the card. The
problems started popping up over time.

I have been using a gainward Ti 4200 64 since release. I never had a
problem with the card for any 3d gaming. Started playing Deus Ex: IW
and five minutes into the game the screen would freeze in a abnormal
pixelated display. Well only a cold boot would work, a simple restart
would still display the anomalies.
Did a full driver clean up and DX reload. Still no joy: after tweaking
and doing everything possible I thought it was just the game as it is
famously buggy. I had started Max Payne 2 previously so thought that I
would continue where I left off: bad news same problem in Max now. The
bottom line seems to be overheating has damaged the card. I tried a
lousy ati 9200 card it it ran both games without a problem - even
though the frame rate was bad...
I will be testing the card in a different box soon and will post my
findings, however it seems like upgrade time has come round again.

Advice please-computer, video card, & games ...D. Ati Videocards 18 November 29th 04 10:00 PM
Old games not looking right? Colin Wilson Ati Videocards 1 October 29th 04 04:16 PM
Games crash unless I turn off Fast Read Gary H Ati Videocards 5 April 29th 04 01:47 PM
Geforce4 TI 4200 128mb Jose Asus Motherboards 1 December 22nd 03 06:53 AM
Is my Mentor GeForce4 MX440 knackered? (long) Andy Jones Nvidia Videocards 1 December 13th 03 04:02 AM