ATI 9800 All-In-Wonder: Solution to my Crash Problem

Old January 21st 04, 12:35 AM
softbeard

Default ATI 9800 All-In-Wonder: Solution to my Crash Problem

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I managed to resolve a
mysterious crash problem with my new ATI 9800 All-In-Wonder. I have a
2.08 GHz Athlon Barton, 1.5 Gb memory, running on a Soyo Black Dragon
motherboard with KT400 chipset. OS is Windows XP Pro.
The video card would boot up fine but almost always cause a crash
after 15 - 20 minutes of operation; usually right after I pressed the
mouse button. The crash would usually result in loss of video followed
by a system reset. Sometimes it would just hang. A few times it would
actually recover, with a message saying that control of the video
hardware had been lost and rendering was currently software only,
until the system is rebooted.
I tried turning off the AGP fastwrite, slowing down the AGP bus, all
to no avail. Finally, I increased AGP bus voltage +0.1V (from 1.5 to
1.6 V, I think). That did it. No more crashes. Take a lesson people:
weird crashes? mysterious reboots? Check the power supply to the
device that's apparently failing.