graphics card recommendations

Old July 16th 05, 10:05 PM
GT

Default graphics card recommendations

I need a new graphics card. My old 64MB Radeon 8500 can't cope anymore,
however my budget is somewhat limited! I think a nice new 6600 GT is called
for. Who can recommend an AGP 6600 GT with DDR3 memory for as close to £100
as possible (under would be better!). Budget is the priority, bundleg games
and software are not really of interest.

Old July 17th 05, 01:57 AM
Synapse Syndrome

"GT" wrote in message
g.com...
I need a new graphics card. My old 64MB Radeon 8500 can't cope anymore,
however my budget is somewhat limited! I think a nice new 6600 GT is called
for. Who can recommend an AGP 6600 GT with DDR3 memory for as close to £100
as possible (under would be better!). Budget is the priority, bundleg games
and software are not really of interest.

What do you want to do with it?

ss.

Old July 17th 05, 12:39 PM
Cuzman

GT wrote:

" Who can recommend an AGP 6600 GT with DDR3 memory for as close to
£100 as possible (under would be better!). "

The only place you'd get one for £100 is eBay.

This PNY card is £112.79 + P&P: http://tinyurl.com/bwham

There are a bunch of other cards available he http://tinyurl.com/77mrt
Old July 17th 05, 07:24 PM
CFran

um.. i got a GeForce FX 5200 64 MB that i bought about 2 years ago for
about 43 =80, and i wouldnt need anything faster. but if you looking
for something better, then, take some more expensive GeForce FX...

GT wrote:
I need a new graphics card. My old 64MB Radeon 8500 can't cope anymore,
however my budget is somewhat limited! I think a nice new 6600 GT is call=

ed
for. Who can recommend an AGP 6600 GT with DDR3 memory for as close to =

=A3100

Old July 18th 05, 06:10 AM

What do you want to do with the card?

Old July 18th 05, 09:39 AM
GT

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
g.com...
I need a new graphics card. My old 64MB Radeon 8500 can't cope anymore,
however my budget is somewhat limited! I think a nice new 6600 GT is
called for. Who can recommend an AGP 6600 GT with DDR3 memory for as close
to £100 as possible (under would be better!). Budget is the priority,
bundleg games and software are not really of interest.

What do you want to do with it?

Sorry, been away for the weekend. Intentions for the card are normal 2d work
+ gaming, so I am after the most power for the money, but I'm on a tight
budget. I would like to be able to play games such as Area51 and various car
racing simulations at a decent resolution. My radeon 8500 struggles with
some games (Area 51 for example) even down at 800x600. I read a recent
magazine review and saw that you get a lot of card for your money with a
6600 GT, but if there are cheaper cards that will run these games at least
at 1024x768, then they will do??? I have done a bit of research and found
numerous comparison tables, but they all seem to compare cards of the same
era with games from the same era, so I have no idea how my 8500 would
compare with the latest cards. Are there any comparison tables that actually
compare old with new??