"Returned" boxed processor and heat sink

Old July 31st 05, 10:33 PM
Clark

Default "Returned" boxed processor and heat sink

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I got this "returned" P4 2.40C processor
from the store. It seems to be running OK, but I was wondering if the boxed
heat sink/fan is set up correctly.

The last time I put a boxed heatsink/fan on, it had some thermal compound
(gray) on the bottom of the heat sink that went against the processor. This
one just seems to have a piece of foil stuck to the heat sink with no
thermal compound visible. Since it was returned, did someone clean it off
or is that the way the newer ones come. There was no thermal compound
supplied in the previously opened box.

The chip is not being used right now, but I would like to find out before I
install it.

Thanks,
Clark

Old August 1st 05, 12:26 AM
DaveW

The previous owner HAD to remove the thermal pad in order to remove the CPU
from their system. You now need to use a high quality thermal paste, such
as Arctic Silver or such.

--
DaveW

. ..

Old August 1st 05, 08:41 AM
Andy

I have an unused cooler from a boxed 2.40c Pentium, and the bottom of
the heat sink is covered with a black coated square foil that is
fastened at each end to the heat sink.

Old August 1st 05, 01:13 PM
Clark

Thanks Andy, it looks like from what you and Dave say there should be heat
sink compound on the foil, so I will add some before reinstall.

The store I got if from should have checked and made sure it was ready to
install, and if the compound was gone, should have supplied some more. I
guess it is a good thing I got it and not someone who would not understand.
Of course, who knows why it was returned!

Thanks,
Clark

Old August 2nd 05, 06:01 AM
Andy

Intel would have provided the heat sink compound if it were required
for the supplied cooler.

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:13:03 GMT, "Clark" wrote:

Thanks Andy, it looks like from what you and Dave say there should be heat
sink compound on the foil, so I will add some before reinstall.

The store I got if from should have checked and made sure it was ready to
install, and if the compound was gone, should have supplied some more. I
guess it is a good thing I got it and not someone who would not understand.
Of course, who knows why it was returned!

Thanks,
Clark

.. .

Old August 2nd 05, 03:16 PM
Clark

Intel may have, but not the place that repackaged it after it was returned.
It got me because even if you had installed the processor and then removed
it, there would still be some thermal compound on the heatsink, at least in
the areas outside where it hit the processor. Someone had to intentionally
clean it off, and should have at that point, put some extra in the box,
unless the purchaser did it, which I doubt.

Anyway, that is why I don't like buying returned goods, but I was going to
use this as a trouble shooter CPU and did not care if it was 100%, as long
as it ran and was CHEAP!

Clark

"Andy" wrote in message
Intel would have provided the heat sink compound if it were required
for the supplied cooler.

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:13:03 GMT, "Clark" wrote:

Thanks Andy, it looks like from what you and Dave say there should be heat
sink compound on the foil, so I will add some before reinstall.

The store I got if from should have checked and made sure it was ready to
install, and if the compound was gone, should have supplied some more. I
guess it is a good thing I got it and not someone who would not
understand.
Of course, who knows why it was returned!

Thanks,
Clark

. ..