winchester 3000+ running badly

Old March 3rd 05, 11:25 PM
Ed Light

3dmark 5 gives much lower scores than 3dmark 3.

With my 64 bit 3200+ at 2450 it gives me 1 fps in the cpu balloon test.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old March 4th 05, 06:39 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 07:57:15 +1100, Highlandish wrote:

Qoth The Raven "Wes in

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:00:07 +1100, Highlandish wrote:

I am having difficulty discovering how to set the dram speed to 133,
of the ratios available to select, 3/2 gets me the lowest to 150mhz,
but nothing allows me to manually set a ratio close to 133mhz. am I
missing something?

Advanced-CPU Configuration-Mempry Configuration-etc.

yuhuh, there isn't a ratio selection to go to 133mhz, it goes 150, 200, 233,
266, 333, 400

Makes me so f*cking mad I'd like to strangle the f*cking morons that
wrote the bios. These aren't valid clock speeds, but the bogus DDR rates,
or at least that what they appear to be, but who the f*ck knows anymore.
Best guess since I don't have the board is that the 266 setting is really
133MHz. Just really strange to even see a 150 setting there, which would
be 75MHz. Tell you what, email Asus (or whoever this manufacutere is) and
tell them you hace PC2700 ram and want to know how to manually set the
clock speed for the max it supports which is 166MHz and see wtf they say..
When they tell you to set it to 333, ask them then why in the hell didn't
they put 166 in bios instead of 333.

See The Real Front Side Bus in one of the links below. Looks like they're
moving their bs crap to ram settings now.

My server
http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php

Old March 4th 05, 07:51 AM
Highlandish

Qoth The Raven "Wes in

[...]

thanks for the heads up

--
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease
to be amused.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Old March 4th 05, 08:46 AM
Highlandish

Qoth The Raven "Wes in

[...]

next question (I'm sounding kinda dumb now), when you say lower the HT link
to 3 or 4, do you mean 300 or 400mhz instead of the current 1000mhz?

--
The problem with paradigms is that shift happens.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Old March 4th 05, 09:23 AM
Ed Light

"Highlandish" wrote
next question (I'm sounding kinda dumb now), when you say lower the HT
link to 3 or 4, do you mean 300 or 400mhz instead of the current 1000mhz?

In case Wes is asleep,

You'll find a hypertrasport ratio setting as 5x, 4x, 3x...

So, if your clock is the stock 200mhz and your ratio is the stock 5x, you
get a 1000mhz hypertransport bus.

But, when you start raising the clock it raises the bus, which shouldn't go
over 1000, so you reduce the ratio. At 4x, it will not reach 1000 again
until the clock is at 250. To go higher on the clock, you'd go to 3x.
Apparently the slower hypertransport doesn't hurt performance.

I just did my 2nd cpu overclocking, on my A64 Winchester, and I feel so
clever! It's just at a clock of 245 with memory set to 133 and
hypertransport at 4x, pci and agp locked at 33 and 66.

So, the cpu, having a 10x multiplier (locked above that), is at 2450 and
hypertransport is at 980, and the memory is at (245/200) x 133 = 163, and
it's pc2700 memory meant for 166. So everything's ok. It ran prime95 for 10
hours at 1.5 volts, but at the default volts it got errors early on, in the
first round.

I loaded AMD's cool'n'quiet driver and it said it was varying between 1.1
and 1.4 volts. But I know that if it ran hard at 1.4 volts it wouldn't make
it through a round of prime95, and it does. I tried uninstalling the
cool'n'quiet and tried prime95 at 1.4 volts, and it got errors quickly. So I
would say that the cool'n'quiet display panel is wrong.

Nice to turn a 3200+ into a 3800+.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old March 4th 05, 09:40 AM
Highlandish

Qoth The Raven "Ed in
AOVVd.43939$xt.27967@fed1read07
"Highlandish" wrote
[...]

excellent, I should now be confident to go ahead. I must say previous
overclocks on different machines had been easier.

but once I am familiar with this setup it should be easier than the previous
ones.

--
Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight. - Phyllis Diller

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Old March 4th 05, 10:22 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:46:10 +1100, Highlandish wrote:

next question, when you say lower the HT link to 3 or 4, do you mean
300 or 400mhz instead of the current 1000mhz?

I should have said 3x or 4x, but it reaaly depends on the bios as to how
you do this. You need to get the link down to either 600 or 800 depending
on how far you are going to overclock. I think Ed explained it pretty
good. It's just that some baords let you set it via a 3x, 4x, or 5x
multipler while others, like mine set to 400, 600, 800, etc. on mine for
3x I'd set it to 600 since that's how my bios does it, then if I raise the
system clock to 233Mhz, the HT link will go from 600 to 3x233 (700). you
can probably set yours to 800, and then when you raise the system bus to
266MHz the Ht data rate will only be overclocked to about 1066. Shouldn't
be a problem. If it is then set your initial rate to 600,