Help with color correction

Old June 18th 09, 02:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
James King

Default Help with color correction

I am using Canon Pixma ip6000D to print pictures.
The only problem with the printer is the prints are all bluish tinted.
Could someone advise me how to correct bluish tinting?
Jorge

Old June 18th 09, 12:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

If the tint is truly bluish, and pretty evenly so, you can correct it by
either adding yellow to the image, or removing blue (magenta and cyan).

If the blue tint isn't pure, you may have to remove more or less magenta
or cyan to make it neutralize.

Keep in mind that color casts tend to shift depending upon the inks and
paper you use.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old June 18th 09, 12:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ato_Zee

Keep in mind that color casts tend to shift depending upon the inks and
paper you use.

Papers vary a lot, not so much with the coated photo papers, but
with whote multi-purpose uncoated papers and Epson ink, on
some papers pale orange becomes pale pink.
Old June 19th 09, 02:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
James King

I tried to decrease magenta (-20) and cyan (-25) but it did not improve.
When the intensity of yellow was increased to +25, the print is still
bluish tinted but better than before.

I have anothe question on other Canon printer (ip4000) in my office. This
printer produces better color balance than ip6000D does. One problem with
ip4000 is the color of trees (i.e., leaves). The whole tree looks
brownish rather than green. How can I produce green color? Please advise
me. Jorge

Old June 19th 09, 12:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

If removing magenta and cyan didn't bring the print closer to the
natural colors (although it might have been less saturated) then it is
likely the yellow level is very under value. So, you may have to pump
even a higher yellow color correction to fix it.

Or you could try subtracting magenta and cyan AND add the 25+ yellow and
see if that gets closer.

Regarding your trees, it sounds like the cyan is too low and you might
have to increase it. You may also have to lower the magenta and yellow
somewhat.

Most inkjet printers (and most color laser printers) use the basic CMY
(Cyan Magenta Yellow) color set with variations. They may add some
light cyan and light magenta, or add red, orange blue or green
cartridge. However, the most common is still CMY or CcMmY, plus black. (K).

Here is a basic color chart that you might find helpful:

To create: GREEN mix Cyan and Yellow

To Create: RED mix Magenta and Yellow

To Create: BLUE mix Cyan and Magenta

To Create: Browns mix Cyan Magenta and Yellow is differing quantities

If the image is too: Cyan - remove Cyan or add Red (Magenta and Yellow)

If the image is too: Magenta - remove Magenta or add green (Cyan and Yellow)

If the image is too Yellow - remove Yellow or add Blue (Cyan and Magenta)

If the image is too: Green - subtract Green (Cyan and Yellow) or add
Magenta

If the image is too: Red - subtract Red (magenta and yellow) or add cyan

If the image is too: Blue - subtract Blue (Cyan and Magenta) or add Yellow

Many people confuse a blue cast for magenta.