A7V600 with one WD SATA drive

Old January 27th 04, 12:20 AM

Default A7V600 with one WD SATA drive

Hello,

my first attempt at building an SATA system is NOT running so
smoothly.
the drive is not being detected at all by the bios.

it is a single WD1600JD SATA drive, jumpers were not changed. this is
a new system with no other hard drives and no OS until i get it to
recognize this drive. the OS will be XP pro.

i have seen other posts here that seem to say this is a bad combo. i
hope this is not true, and it can work.

i have also seen other posts speaking of loading the drivers first
with the F6 command as windows installs, but when i tried to get the
drivers from the MB CD, the install process will not see them.

do i need these drivers? what specifically are they called?
the drive is connected via the SATA cable that came with the MB since
the drive was a bare drive. i used the legacy power connector for
juice.
it is turning since it gets warm after a few minutes, and the SATA1
port is the one being used.

what else might i be missing?

thanks for any help,

dave
Old January 27th 04, 04:06 AM
Ray Kasprzak

Dis you enable the SATA device in bios? Not sure about your motherboard but
on mine it is necessary to first set the drive up as a 1+0 array. Also did
you use the WD utilities disc to set up the drive? When you get to the XP
install XP will only look for the drivers on a floppy disc so you need to
copy them from the CD.

I recently replaced my old 40 gb IDE drive with a Maxtor 120 gb drive. I
was actually surprised at how smooth the installation was.
Good Luck.

om...

Old January 27th 04, 04:04 PM

"Ray Kasprzak" remove the wrote in message ...

Did you enable the SATA device in bios?

I hope I did. Under the advanced menu/ I/O device configuration- there
is an "onboard ATA boot rom" that was enabled by default. The MB
manual says it is the "Onboard Serial ATA Boot Rom", but my Bios did
not have the "Serial" part, it just said "ATA".

Not sure about your motherboard but
on mine it is necessary to first set the drive up as a 1+0 array. Also did
you use the WD utilities disc to set up the drive?

The drive was a bare drive, so nothing came with it. (I actually
thought I had bought a retail drive, but when I double checked, sure
enough it said bare drive)
So how do I get the utilities disk? Would it be a different one than
the regular IDE tools? I have disks from other Western Digital IDE
drives that I have bought.

When you get to the XP
install XP will only look for the drivers on a floppy disc so you need to
copy them from the CD.

I tried copying the drivers from the MB CD and nothing was found at
all.
In fact though, this computer is not seeing the A drive at all.

I got tired of wasting my time on this setup, so I went down and got
an IDE drive, and installed everything on that. With the system up and
running, the A drive is still not detected. I know the floppy drive
works since I tested it in another machine.

I still want to use the SATA drive, but I at least don't have quite
the pressure as before. So at this point, what would I need to do to
get the thing detected and running?

dave

Old February 4th 04, 11:20 PM
William

sata software you can go to western digital and down load the setup program
for the drive and the sata driver for the mother board should be on the cd
that come with the mother board.
om...