GeforceFX 5900XT VTD128 card gives picture but not capturing video at all

Old August 17th 04, 05:23 AM
NeonBlue

Default GeforceFX 5900XT VTD128 card gives picture but not capturing video at all

Hi all, first of all thanks for reading this

Tech info: winxp, 512kmem, MSI nVidia GeforceFX 5900XT VTD128 graphics card,
tried many WDM drivers and all do the same thing it seems but hopefully wish
to use the 1.08 drivers if possible, the card does NOT have any kind of TV
Tuner it's only VIVO

Well, I'm having two problems.....

1. However much I tweak the nvcap.inf file before installing the wdm
drivers, I still cannot get this card to automatically set itself to PAL
format on startup and it's driving me crazy having to change it from NTSC_M
to PAL_I on every reboot. Am I really missing something obvious here?

2. I used to capture video perfectly okay (apart from the inconvenient
problem named above which I've never been able to solve yet) but now I've
reinstalled windowsxp I've started having major problems capturing video
with VirtualDub (which used to function fine before). The problem is that
any attempt to capture video in any video capture program (including
AMcap.exe) is resulting in errors!

VirtualDub, upon going to its "capture avi" menu option, gives error 418:
Unsupported video format (yes I checked it was in PAL mode first and capture
settings were 'UYVY' YUV 4:2:2 interleaved @ 25fps is this right settings
for PAL?) and after that when I try to capture anyway it says "Status 411:
Hit Esc to end capture...." then "Status 503: Warning: no frames were
captured make sure your video card is functioning properly and make sure a
valid video source is connected. Also try turning off overlay or reduce
resolution or reduce image depth" which is all well and good "except" I
captured video before on this so I know it can't be any of these things and
also I do get a picture coming through! it's just that it won't capture any
frames :-( makes me wonder if it's something messed up with the drivers
maybe?

AMCap.exe, upon attempting to capture, gives the rather unhelpful "Error
8007001f: Cannot start graph"

I can see the name of my capture device listed in the programs source device
options and I get a picture coming through..... yet none of these programs
seem able to capture anything like they could before? :-(

I even checked the registry for the vfwwdm keys as suggested on Virtualdub
site but they appear to be there and present in the registry and there's no
reason why it should be failing so I'm at a loss on this one so any help
would be appreciated thanks

Old August 17th 04, 12:25 PM
The Black Wibble

"NeonBlue" wrote in message
Hi all, first of all thanks for reading this

Tech info: winxp, 512kmem, MSI nVidia GeforceFX 5900XT VTD128 graphics
card, tried many WDM drivers and all do the same thing it seems but
hopefully wish to use the 1.08 drivers if possible, the card does NOT have
any kind of TV Tuner it's only VIVO

1.08?? A little crusty isn't it? 2.20 should work with your card.

Anyway, here's my specs.
I have an MSI FX5900 Ultra
DirectX 9.0c
nVidia drivers ver 61.77
nVidia WDM vivo drivers ver 2.20
VirtualDub 1.5.4, which runs fine for me.

Well, I'm having two problems.....

1. However much I tweak the nvcap.inf file before installing the wdm
drivers, I still cannot get this card to automatically set itself to PAL
format on startup and it's driving me crazy having to change it from
NTSC_M to PAL_I on every reboot. Am I really missing something obvious
here?

I have to change it in the registry. Search for every instance of the word:
VideoStandard, and change its setting from NTSC to PAL.

2. I used to capture video perfectly okay (apart from the inconvenient
problem named above which I've never been able to solve yet) but now I've
reinstalled windowsxp I've started having major problems capturing video
with VirtualDub (which used to function fine before). The problem is that
any attempt to capture video in any video capture program (including
AMcap.exe) is resulting in errors!

VirtualDub, upon going to its "capture avi" menu option, gives error 418:
Unsupported video format (yes I checked it was in PAL mode first and
capture settings were 'UYVY' YUV 4:2:2 interleaved @ 25fps is this right
settings for PAL?)

Yes, with a capture size of 720x576, which probably doesn't matter. In
Capture Preferences (Press F10) the Default capture driver should be set to
"Microsoft WDM Image Capture "(Win32) (no change)", and Change Driver
Setting For is "Driver 0 - Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32)".
I'm using no compression.

and after that when I try to capture anyway it says "Status 411: Hit Esc
to end capture...." then "Status 503: Warning: no frames were captured
make sure your video card is functioning properly and make sure a valid
video source is connected. Also try turning off overlay or reduce
resolution or reduce image depth" which is all well and good "except" I
captured video before on this so I know it can't be any of these things
and also I do get a picture coming through! it's just that it won't
capture any frames :-( makes me wonder if it's something messed up with
the drivers maybe?

AMCap.exe, upon attempting to capture, gives the rather unhelpful "Error
8007001f: Cannot start graph"

It's unusual for AMCap to throw up an error. Use version WDM driver version
2.20 if you're not already doing so.

Errr.. it's really late in the evening. Time to fdghytyv

Old August 17th 04, 07:25 PM
NeonBlue

"The Black Wibble" wrote in message

"NeonBlue" wrote in message
Hi all, first of all thanks for reading this

Tech info: winxp, 512kmem, MSI nVidia GeforceFX 5900XT VTD128 graphics
card, tried many WDM drivers and all do the same thing it seems but
hopefully wish to use the 1.08 drivers if possible, the card does NOT
have any kind of TV Tuner it's only VIVO

1.08?? A little crusty isn't it? 2.20 should work with your card.

Oops my mistake, they're ver1.19 actually and I would gladly use latest ones
but there was a reason behind it... lol it seems v1.19 is apparently the
last known version without that "big white bar (so called) feature" or
macrovision as it's commonly known lol I heard it can even appear and ruin
normal "home" video captures (for example such as "aunt maud's wedding" or
that "classic camcorder video taken at a relative's birthday party where
someone trips up mid-dance", etc) when capturing them from videotape but I'm
willing to try the latest ones if they don't have this problem....

Anyway, here's my specs.
I have an MSI FX5900 Ultra
DirectX 9.0c
nVidia drivers ver 61.77
nVidia WDM vivo drivers ver 2.20
VirtualDub 1.5.4, which runs fine for me.

First of all thanks again for the help
here's the critical info I missed out last time I think....

MSI FX5900XT VTD128
DirectX 9.0b O ooh! I better get the newest one I guess? lol although
this card still captured on 9.0b before anyways
nVidia drivers ver 56.72 (I can already see I have some updating to do on
these drivers? lol)
nVidia WDM vivo drivers ver 1.19 (not 1.08 as I thought but apparently these
don't suffer with the "big white bar feature" or macrovision for short)
VirtualDub 1.5.10, which seems to be having a strop right now? lol

Well, I'm having two problems.....

1. However much I tweak the nvcap.inf file before installing the wdm
drivers, I still cannot get this card to automatically set itself to PAL
format on startup and it's driving me crazy having to change it from
NTSC_M to PAL_I on every reboot. Am I really missing something obvious
here?

I have to change it in the registry. Search for every instance of the
word: VideoStandard, and change its setting from NTSC to PAL.

Now that is a good idea! I will attempt that very thing right now! and
I'll repost back if it works or no!

[...]

Yep, just checked all those were correct and it's still giving the errors on
any settings :-(

Old August 17th 04, 09:37 PM
Granulated

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:25:34 +0100 "NeonBlue"
meeped :

"NeonBlue" wrote in message
[...]

hi..i posted again on the original thread
--

Old August 17th 04, 09:52 PM
NeonBlue

"NeonBlue" wrote in message
[...]

okay cheers noticed it already and replied thanks