GeForce FX 5600 256MB or Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB?

Old August 1st 03, 12:55 PM
F-117B

Default GeForce FX 5600 256MB or Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB?

I'm into buying a new video card for my computer that I use mainly for =
Blizzard games like DII LoD, WC3x and their upcoming WoW (mmorpg) game =
(and sometimes Flash 3D). I'm buying mid class video card as I don't =
play much games these day so the price tag would be $200 which has 256MB =
which helps a lot when I'm experimenting on Flash 3D software. My =
choices are either GeForce FX 5600 256MB or Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB, I =
know the GeForce is somehow cheaper but which of these video card is =
more faster. I'm more of a GeForce guy but I'd like to try out Ati's =
video card if its faster than the GeForce model.
Old August 1st 03, 05:08 PM
Dave

They're about the same speed, when all things are considered. I would get
the FX5600 because it's cheaper and I trust Nvidia drivers a lot more. I
like the Prolink or the MSI.
Dave

Old August 3rd 03, 06:29 AM
Ron Merts

I'd go with the nVidia card as it's usually a little cheaper and performance
wise it should be comparable; plus the drivers are going to more than likely
be more stable over the long haul. Unless you are loading more than 120Mb
of textures in Flash3D you aren't going to see any difference between the
128Mb and the 256Mb version. We tested an ABit Siluro GeForce FX 5600 with
256Mb of RAM and were able to overclock the GPU core to 400Mhz with no
problems on a Pentium 4 2.6C (2.6Ghz CPU, 800Mhz FSB). I suspect that if
you put some heatsinks on the video memory you could probably overclock the
memory more than the 410Mhz we were able to achieve. Nice card, fast and
very stable.

Ron