GA-7VAX random crashing

Old July 31st 04, 11:27 PM
Logical Narcoleptic

Default GA-7VAX random crashing

Hello, bit of a problem here, a few days ago my system started
crashing, I could be in the middle of surfing or even asleep, the
monitor screen would go black and the system wouldn't respond to
anything. Rebooting would result in no POST, it seemed to fix itself
after 1-10 minutes usually, but today it didn't seem to. After 30
mintues or so I started pulling RAM sticks and testing it that way,
and booted up with a stick of 128, but I haven't tried right after
crash yet, I plan to next time it happens. I don't know if it has
anything to do with the motherboard or not, but I figure this is as
good a place to post as any.

Specs:
Win2k
Gigabyte GA-7VAX motherboard
Athlon 2200+ XP
896MB DDR
Radeon 9000 Pro
SoundBlaster Live! 5.1

If any more info is needed just tell me.

Thanks
Old August 1st 04, 01:59 AM
Jerry A. Valentino

i had the same problem. i was using the low quality powersupply that came
with the case i purchased, i changed the powersupply to a namebrand and
higher wattage powersupply and i have had no more problems in the past year
and a half.

om...

Old August 2nd 04, 12:01 PM
zzipper

Hi, I'd have to agree that cheap psu is a likely candidate, or dying ram? I
have the same board with a Barton 2500 and haven't seen a blue screen or
crashed the os in over 18 months. Having said that, it's running with
Crucial ram and a Thermaltake 420W:-)

Old August 25th 04, 06:41 PM
Logical Narcoleptic

"Jerry A. Valentino" wrote in message news:AmXOc.192481$%_6.2380@attbi_s01...
[...]

Thank you for all your advice, I've discovered something new. I
believe there is a short somewhere, but I do not know if it's the
motherboard or the power supply. I'm leaning towards the powersupply
however, reason being, when I jostle the computer, or when it gets
moved a little, it will do it's crash. That's the cause. The reason
unplugging it made it work is because when plugging back in it jostled
it a bit again. I can get the computer to boot back up by moving the
wires around a little, or moving the tower a bit until it POSTs.
Anyone know if this is the PSU or other? I suppose the cheapest way
to test this would buy a new PSU, and if so, is there any advice on
the wattage of the PSU I should know?

Thanks