Passive cooling, what card

Old March 22nd 11, 10:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jim

Default Passive cooling, what card

I'm loosing the will to live given this new bit of sh1t ATI/AMD (4350) have
given me, so I'm looking to move to nvidia, all I need is the following, min
512mb passive cooling, tv out (S-VHS, not hdmi) and pcie, and hopefully a
bit of software that does not make getting tv out to work a nightmare, does
anyone have any suggestions please, and i don't care if it's 2nd hand just
want something to work.

TIA

Old March 22nd 11, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Jim wrote:
I'm loosing the will to live given this new bit of sh1t ATI/AMD (4350) have
given me, so I'm looking to move to nvidia, all I need is the following, min
512mb passive cooling, tv out (S-VHS, not hdmi) and pcie, and hopefully a
bit of software that does not make getting tv out to work a nightmare, does
anyone have any suggestions please, and i don't care if it's 2nd hand just
want something to work.

TIA

Before you rush off and buy another card, have a look around first.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-c...rs-tv-out.html

I don't know what mode you will be using, but there is a link here with details.

"Full Screen Video Mirror option is not present in the NVIDIA Forceware display properties"
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1169076830

Does that cover using a TV as the only monitor ? I don't know.

*******

If you want to spend more money, there is always a converter box.
I went looking here, because they have customer reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite...ref=pd_sim_e_1

"The image converted is not crystal clear nor crispy sharp, but
nothing that would ruin your day."

A Canadian supplier claimed to carry this, but it was out of stock.

http://www.lenkeng.net/Html/Product/...Converter.html

*******

You can try the advanced search box here, then select the "TV-Out" option
you want, and see what kind of cards are available. The selection isn't
that good.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...cs-Video-Cards

I generally like to see the manufacturer include video cables, as some
kind of proof the video might work. No cables for TV on this one.

HTH,
Paul

Old March 22nd 11, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jim

"Paul" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
[...]

Jesus what is wrong with these companies, all i want is to be able to watch
simple video files from my pc to my old crt tv, yet it seems i want the
impossible

Old March 23rd 11, 12:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Jim wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
[...]

I think you can thank Hollywood for this.

I've had Composite output running on some of my older systems, and the TV
just wasn't very good (the weak link). So far, using the stuff I own, I got
my best results using a Radio Shack modulator - which means take the working
Composite signal, run it into the Radio Shack modulator, run a 75 ohm coax to
the RF input on the TV, and tune the TV to channel 3 or channel 4. I actually get a
better picture that way, than straight composite. Composite really sucks, as
far as I'm concerned. I haven't run into many people who have as much trouble
with this, as I do.

Paul
Old March 23rd 11, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Foke[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:11:04 -0000, "Jim"
wrote:

I'm loosing the will to live given this new bit of sh1t ATI/AMD (4350) have
given me, so I'm looking to move to nvidia, all I need is the following, min
512mb passive cooling, tv out (S-VHS, not hdmi) and pcie, and hopefully a
bit of software that does not make getting tv out to work a nightmare, does
anyone have any suggestions please, and i don't care if it's 2nd hand just
want something to work.

TIA

I don't think you'll be able to find a recent card that does S-VHS out.
Time to upgrade your TV.
Old March 24th 11, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jim[_31_]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=2953%3A18921

Old March 24th 11, 01:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 03/24/11 07:18, Jim wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=2953%3A18921

Dude, tinyurl.com!

Old March 24th 11, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Jim wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=2953%3A18921

Hmmm. This is interesting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=14-150-354

"phazed 10/28/2010 7:31:42 PM Sub-par s-video output

Cons: The s-video output is just awful (flicker and overall quality)
and the card seems a little over-priced. nVidia's drivers also
don't have much in the way of support for tweaking s-video output.

Other Thoughts: I built a small HTPC for the guest bedroom which has an
old 26" Sony CRT TV. The lower end ATI cards (I have a
2400pro and a 4350 with svideo) put out a nearly flicker-free,
high quality and very adjustable picture. However, they are
pretty bad at any gaming and AFAIK, no video decoders take
special advantage of ATI's hardware... so I found one of
the very few nVidia cards out that's also fanless but has
CUDA for CoreCodec acceleration.

I know svideo is obsolete, but if nvidia is going to support
it (even if only on low end cards) then it should be better
prepared to eliminate the flicker that is inherent to that
type of output... as well as being able to manage screen size
and positioning (overscan, etc.). It has very limited ability
to do this and the acceleration advantage from CUDA assisted
decoding just isn't worth the inferior picture.

The other outputs on the card work fine, but I bought it
specifically for svideo out."

Looks like an "uphill road ahead" :-(

Paul
Old March 27th 11, 10:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Jim wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
[...]

I tried a little experiment here.

I mentioned having problems getting good color on a TV set, over Composite.

So I decided to connect the TV-output of my 7900GT, to the Composite Input on
my WinTV capture card. To cut the TV out of the loop.

Now, one thing I noticed, is in Windows, with a relatively recent Nvidia driver,
I could get 800x600 for the TV resolution setting, but there was no option to select
640x480 (which is a typical capture resolution for my WinTV card with BT878 chip).

So instead of using Windows, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a spare hard drive, and
installed the Nvidia Linux driver (260? , with binary blob). Ubuntu has a restricted
driver install option, to make it easy to put a real Nvidia Linux driver in place.

Once that was done (took a couple hours, mainly lots of downloading), I set up
TwinView, with my 1280x1024 LCD on the left, and 640x480 TV-out on the right. I
ran a cable from the TV-out to the WinTV card, using an S-video to Composite
adapter. The desktop surface looks roughly like this in Twinview mode.

+-----------+--------+
| | |
| | |
| +--------+
| |
+-----------+

Using a program called TVTime, I simultaneously display the captured output of the
TV signal, in a window on the LCD. So it looks like this. The tiny window on the
left, is supposed to be "what the TV would see", as represented by the WinTV capture.

+-----------+--------+
| +-----+ | |
| | | | |
| +-----+ +--------+
| |
+-----------+

Next, I fired up Totem movie player, and started a DVD playing. I slid the player,
with the mouse, so it was fully within the 640x480 area. I right-moused and selected
"full screen" mode. That causes the movie output to fill the 640x480 area on the right.

Then, using TVtime, I could view the movie, as it is being captured with
the WinTV card (BT878, about 20MB/sec capture rate).

Then, I used gnome-screenshot, to make a copy of what is stored in the two frame
buffers (left and right), at some instant in time. Since there isn't synchronism
between all of the activities, there tends to be a "tear" in the image.

In any case, you can compare what is stored in the frame buffer, on the right,
versus what comes back in on the left. The left-most image, as rendered in TVtime,
doesn't seem to be the 640x480 I was expecting. There is a bit of a difference in
scale. In any case, you can compare the color and sharpness. It's possible the
WinTV levels are off a bit, which could account for some of the color shift, but
I tend to think we're seeing the gamma of the Nvidia in action on the TV-output.

(No guarantee how long they'll leave this here...)

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2600/tvoutput.png

The bottom two example captures, show the dialog box used to set up TwinView
in Ubuntu. You can see how TV is a poor means of displaying text, and the
text is looking pretty bad on the bottom left image, near the
bottom of the dialog box.

The movie, as viewed that way, is acceptable. It's not a good piece of source
to begin with (it's a capture of the movie from a VCR). The real question would
be, how bad would it look on a much larger screen.

I don't have any ATI cards, like the one you were having problems with, so
I can't repeat this with another card. The most modern ATI I have, is an
AGP one from way back. The 7900GT isn't modern either, but at least it
has the mini-DIN connector on it for TV-out. It's a PCI Express card.

Paul