Upgrade from 7950 GT

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 13th 08, 07:18 PM
wt1099 wt1099 is offline
Junior Member

Default Upgrade from 7950 GT

Warning.. not a strong tech background here. LOL

So, I have been running here with 2 video cards, both are nVidia GeForce 7950 GT. I have it set up with dual monitors.. BUT with one card handling each monitor. I have loved this setup vs having one card power both monitors. Well, my 2nd card died on me. I have spent the day trying to set up the single card to handle both monitors in the same fashion, but it just isn't looking as nice. *shrug* For instance, before I had my Toolbar at the bottom on just the main monitor and now it is stretched between both.. and I can't get the resolution to set to a different size on Monitor 2, so the stuff on it looks... well, odd. Anyway... I realize I am hooked on using dual video cards... meaning.. oh yeah, time to replace the dead one.

As I said, I'm not techie... but I really don't want to have to drag this thing into a computer shop. I know I can do this.. as long as I don't mess up on the purchase and find that other things need to be upgraded as well. LOL!

I have been noticing the 8800 GTS mentioned as a good choice..
I am also looking at the 9800 GT, which is actually cheaper with a rebate at the moment.

They both show as being PCI Express 2.0.. yet I guess some cards are compatible with 1.x.. *shrug* Brain is spinning.. LOL

Anyway, below is what I have... Any suggestions on which card I should replace the bad 7950 GT with?

Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13GHz
2048 MBytes Memory

Motherboard is showing ASUSTek
Model: P5N-E SLI 1.XX