A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » Video Cards » Nvidia Videocards
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Upgrade from 7950 GT

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 13th 08, 07:18 PM

First recorded activity by HardwareBanter: Nov 2008
Default Upgrade from 7950 GT

Warning.. not a strong tech background here. LOL

So, I have been running here with 2 video cards, both are nVidia GeForce 7950 GT. I have it set up with dual monitors.. BUT with one card handling each monitor. I have loved this setup vs having one card power both monitors. Well, my 2nd card died on me. I have spent the day trying to set up the single card to handle both monitors in the same fashion, but it just isn't looking as nice. *shrug* For instance, before I had my Toolbar at the bottom on just the main monitor and now it is stretched between both.. and I can't get the resolution to set to a different size on Monitor 2, so the stuff on it looks... well, odd. Anyway... I realize I am hooked on using dual video cards... meaning.. oh yeah, time to replace the dead one.

As I said, I'm not techie... but I really don't want to have to drag this thing into a computer shop. I know I can do this.. as long as I don't mess up on the purchase and find that other things need to be upgraded as well. LOL!

I have been noticing the 8800 GTS mentioned as a good choice..
I am also looking at the 9800 GT, which is actually cheaper with a rebate at the moment.

They both show as being PCI Express 2.0.. yet I guess some cards are compatible with 1.x.. *shrug* Brain is spinning.. LOL

Anyway, below is what I have... Any suggestions on which card I should replace the bad 7950 GT with?

Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13GHz
2048 MBytes Memory

Motherboard is showing ASUSTek
Model: P5N-E SLI 1.XX
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI SPP