Upgrade from 7900 GT to 7950 Should I Re Install Drivers?

Old November 13th 06, 12:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Will

Default Upgrade from 7900 GT to 7950 Should I Re Install Drivers?

When upgrading an nVidia GEForce card, is there a requirement to re-install
the drivers?

--
Will

Old November 13th 06, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Will wrote:
When upgrading an nVidia GEForce card, is there a requirement to re-install
the drivers?

This is the correct method:

1) Uninstall selected drivers via add/remove programs
2) Shut down PC
3) Restart PC, with old hardware in place, but cancel any attempted
install of any driver.
4) Shut down PC
5) Install new hardware
6) Restart, cancel any attempt to recognize hardware
7) Install Driver suite
8) Reboot
9) Verify that all child devices (such as monitors) are attached to the
new parent (video card)

Yes, it is a requirement to do it this way for proper operation, while
merely swapping very similar cards might appear to work fine, you will
still have files and settings specific to your uninstalled card
referenced, which is potentially problematic.

Old November 14th 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Will wrote:
When upgrading an nVidia GEForce card, is there a requirement to re-install
the drivers?

Nope, you're fine. It should show up after the first boot and the
drivers recognize the new hardware.