Dead motherboard?

Old March 18th 21, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

Default Dead motherboard?

On 2021-03-17 6:41 p.m., Larc wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 16:27:40 -0400, I wrote:

| Symptoms: started rebooting occasionally, progressively increasing with prior mouse
| pointer fadeout or freeze (cordless and corded mouse) - stopped seeing USB wifi
| adapter, although USB drives would still work - now won't post at all (power comes on
| and case PLED and fans run for about 20 seconds, then reboot, rinse and repeat) - no
| HDD LED - no signal to wake monitor - power to DVD burner on. Multiple reconnections
| and even reseating of the CPU and heatsink/fan and trying different memory modules
| didn't help.
|
| PSU: Tested thoroughly with comprehensive digital PSU tester and everything 100%
|
| Is there anything else I should check out? I'd like to learn it's not the
| motherboard since a replacement that could accommodate the 7th generation i3 CPU in
| it would cost about as much as a new 300 series board and i3-9100 CPU combined.
|
| I'm not running a higher powered setup here since this isn't a main system, but one I
| use for Windows Insider development testing.
|
| Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H270 Performance
| PSU: Corsair CX500M

UPDATE: The new PSU I ordered for another machine arrived (Corsair RM650x). Connected
it in the problem PC. Still no post, so it definitely appears to be the motherboard.
I've decided to go ahead and replace the motherboard and CPU rather than looking for
a board that will accommodate the 7th generation CPU.

Larc

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated, Enjoy the new MB and CPU when you
install them.

Rene

Old March 18th 21, 12:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 19:41:12 -0400, Larc
wrote:

UPDATE: The new PSU I ordered for another machine arrived (Corsair RM650x). Connected
it in the problem PC. Still no post, so it definitely appears to be the motherboard.

Last time I tried that, the power supply went along -- up until then,
a repeatable replacement procedure -- with nothing left to show for
itself but a nasty stench. It was the last of a series of inexpensive
replacement power supplies I'd fed that MB over the years (maybe three
units in 6-8 years);- except for the last and only one being "server
grade" PS, I've ever and since owned, however coincidental to occur
than not. Good for you. Not to have learned something new at an
expense that's neither going to ever quite add up, hopefully, to bear
its worth to repeat. A Fortron/Sparkle, btw, totally unlike any
consumer grade PS I've ever seen (Small, compact, exceptionally heavy,
literally a "brick" made uniquely to slide-in rack-mounted cases,
when 300-watts was a "fair" draw for regulations coming out of its
yazoo. Way beyond cute for an ASUS MB, 1/2 off from an open and
returned NewEgg MB box, that atted it all to hell . )

Possible Dead Motherboard or CPU smithdoerr General 8 September 26th 10 08:51 AM
Dead motherboard [email protected] General 8 November 26th 06 01:33 PM
Dead: Motherboard or CPU? [email protected] General 4 September 10th 05 05:46 PM
Dead Motherboard? Craig General 0 August 20th 04 02:44 AM
Dead Motherboard Dusan Sukovic General Hardware 0 November 2nd 03 12:04 AM