nvidia card damage?

Old October 27th 03, 06:01 PM
Paul Becker

Default nvidia card damage?

Some months ago my monitor started to flicker,
changing color to a hot pink over glo (for lack of
a better term) and also the image would ocilate
like a Wayne's world dream sequence transition.

I have a dual boot (Windows/Linux) machine. Under
Windows I changed the refresh rate from 'Optimal'
to 'Adapter Default' and that corrected the waving
image but not the color flicker. Under Linux I
simply switched Video mode and again it corrected
the waving but not the color flicker.

Under both OS's the console window, when there is
just white text on a black screen this waving
appeared and could not be fixed by any method I
know of.

My monitor was old and used when I bought it so I
returned to the shop where I bought it and because
I have bought 5 monitors from this guy he gave me
$60 for my old NEC 17" and sold me another for
$120. So, for a net of $60 I got to try a new
monitor. When the same problem occured I started
looking at the card.

I found that the fan on the card had failed so I
replaced it as well. The problem is still there
and I think the card is shot.

Any advice before I replace the card?

Paul

Old October 27th 03, 06:25 PM
Jeremy Dimmick

"Paul Becker" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

Some months ago my monitor started to flicker,
changing color to a hot pink over glo (for lack of
a better term) and also the image would ocilate
like a Wayne's world dream sequence transition.

[...]

I found that the fan on the card had failed so I
replaced it as well. The problem is still there
and I think the card is shot.

Any advice before I replace the card?

Paul

I'm afraid if the graphics card's been overheating for some time, which is
almost certainly what's happened, it'll be incurably damaged now. If the
symptoms didn't go away when you put a working fan on, then it's probably
curtains. If you know anyone with a PC who can lend you their graphics card
to test, before you splash out on a new one, that would certainly confirm
whether it's the component that's at fault.
Jeremy

Old October 27th 03, 06:58 PM
Paul Becker

That sounds like a good plan. I think that I'll
just replace it. The fan probably fail a long time
ago I'm fairly sure that the card is shot.

Thanks for the opinion.

Paul