P4C800 Deluxe Memory: How close is close?

Old February 23rd 04, 11:09 PM

Default P4C800 Deluxe Memory: How close is close?

I( have a new P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. The memory they sold me with
it is two 512 chips made by Infineon. The number on the chips is:

HYB25D256809BT-5

The number that ASUS lists on their website as being compatible is:

Infineon HYB25D256800BT-5B

My numner may have a B at the end too. My wife had to read the number
as my eyes weren't up to it, and she may have missed the B. Or I
didn't write it down. But my question is, as I'm trying to eliminate
hardware problems for a seemingly slow Windows XP performance, is
would my memory be compatible or do the numbers have be exact? The
rest of my specs a

P4 3.2Ghz processor
120Gb Western Digital Serial-ATA hard drive
Windows XP Professional

Thanks for any advice.

Old February 24th 04, 12:58 AM
Paul

In article ,
wrote:

I( have a new P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. The memory they sold me with
it is two 512 chips made by Infineon. The number on the chips is:

HYB25D256809BT-5

The number that ASUS lists on their website as being compatible is:

Infineon HYB25D256800BT-5B

My numner may have a B at the end too. My wife had to read the number
as my eyes weren't up to it, and she may have missed the B. Or I
didn't write it down. But my question is, as I'm trying to eliminate
hardware problems for a seemingly slow Windows XP performance, is
would my memory be compatible or do the numbers have be exact? The
rest of my specs a

P4 3.2Ghz processor
120Gb Western Digital Serial-ATA hard drive
Windows XP Professional

Thanks for any advice.

All the 256Mbit parts are listed here - your module is made of
32Mx8 chips. Sixteen of these chips are needed to get 512MB:

http://www.infineon.com/cgi/ecrm.dll...&cat_oid=-8005

None of the part numbers end in 9. I downloaded the BT-5 datasheet,
and it refers to a 5 and a 5A part. The 5A part is CAS2.5 and the
5 part is CAS3, at DDR400. There is no mention of a 5B part, unless
they are referring to the B version of die, for the 5 part. If the
memory stick is rated at CAS3 at DDR400, maybe that is what 5B means
- i.e. 5 = 5B, while 5A is faster.

Many people complain of seemingly slow performance, and in order for
us to help you, we need more specifics. If I told you I wasn't feeling
well, and could you prescribe a drug to make me feel better, that
wouldn't be a lot to go on.

Tell us what aspects are slow - screen redraw in desktop, moving
browser windows around is slow, game framerates are slow, memory
benchmarks are off, etc. Also, we need to know what all the hardware
is in the computer, what disks are on which interfaces, what cards
are in which PCI slots, which slots you've plugged the memory into.

You can also inventory the machine with programs like:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
http://aida32.hu/aida32-shots.php?type=l

Look over the numbers from these programs, and see if the clock
rates and settings are consistent with the hardware you bought.
For example, if your 3.2GHz processor decides to run at 1.6GHz,
because the BIOS has set the CPU clock to 100MHz, that would make
it slow.

HTH,
Paul
Old February 24th 04, 02:05 AM

I must have not been clear on my post. Sorry about that. I have two
512Mb memory cards, for a system total of 1Gb. Does this make a
difference in what you're telling me? One each in the blue
slots.Thanks again.

Old February 24th 04, 07:40 AM

I might just be paranoid. The main thing I notice is when I go into
Windows Explorer in Windows XP Pro, and try to expand a disk (click on
the + sign). It seems to take a few seconds, and I guess I imag8ined
it would be instantaneous with this hardware. Also if I try to create
a new folder on my hard drive, it seems to take a few seconds to open
New then Folder. I thought this too should happen instantly . Like I
said, maybe I'm paranoid. Also, for the first time tonight, I tried to
make a DVD. I had a 1 hour and 5 minute .mpg file which was a video I
captured from my VCR. It took about 1-1/2 hours to reencode the video.
I didn't get to the burning part yet. But 1-1/2 hours to encode a 1 hr
5 min file? But maybe this is normal since it's all new to me. Three
years ago I built a system and had problems. I guess I'm just
expecting problems on this one too.

In article ,
wrote:

I must have not been clear on my post. Sorry about that. I have two
512Mb memory cards, for a system total of 1Gb. Does this make a
difference in what you're telling me? One each in the blue
slots.Thanks again.

The reason for asking about memory slots, is to see whether you are
set up for dual channel or not.

So, what part of your system is slow ?

Paul

Old February 24th 04, 03:09 PM
Darkfalz

Infineon HYB25D256800BT-5B

Does the memory come in a kit? My RAM has an A at the end, which merely
indicates it comes as part of a 2 piece kit. The regular model doesn't have
the A.

Old February 24th 04, 03:23 PM
127.0.0.1

I have the same boad insted a 2.8 it took me a will to tweek it to get it
fast
I was running infeneon ram also but switch to corsair TWINX1024-4000PRO
noticed
a good diference
but now its running fine i disable the hypertreding and it made a big
diference since the aplication your runing gets all the power ...good luck

Old February 26th 04, 02:14 PM
GB

Paul,
Thanks for the link to the CPU ID program. I ran that on my new
P4C800E Deluxe system with Corsair memory and found out my "Turbo"
bios setting for the memory was not turned on. Can't tell much
difference with it activated but I always like to get any boost I can.
This is my fourth self built computer in eight years and I have never
tried to overclock one before but I am considering tweaking this one
up a little but still after reading all I can on the groups I really
don't know where to start for a tweak in speed. Seems like every
message I read about someone overclocking their system they have a
little different speed processor, different memory or something that
is not quiet like mine so I can safely raise the bar on mine by using
their settings as a guideline.
Do you or anyone else know of a site I can go to and read and learn
from, that is in laymans terms so I can understand what they are
trying to get across?