A7N8X Deluxe error messages

Old June 10th 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default A7N8X Deluxe error messages

Recently I have been getting the "system failed due to CPU
overclocking" message upon boot up of my A7N8X Deluxe system. I have
changed no hardware on this system for at least several years. I am
running an Athlon XP 2600+ Barton CPU aat 166 X 11.5 (not overclocked),
on a rev 1.xx board with bios 1004.

The boot screen will occasionally show the bus speed as 100 MhZ instead
of 166 MHz, but I can get the error message with either.

When I go into bios settings, the bios settings are all correct (no
overclocking, all CPU and memory settings on auto). If I "save
settings [making no changes] and exit", it then boots without error
messages.

I have googled this error message and find numerous threads about it,
but no consistent causes or solutions.

I am considering two things:

My bios battery may be getting old, and I will probably change it.

Secondly, both Speedfan and Motherboard Monitor show my +5.00 voltage
reading averaging 4.60 V. MBM shows a low of 4.38 volts. The 4.60 V
reading is within 10% tolerance, but the spec for ATX for this voltage
is 5%, or 4.75 V. All other voltages read within 5% tolerances of
settings

Thoughts about whether this low +5.00 voltage could be the cause
(presumably a slowly failing power supply)?

Old June 10th 09, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
André, PE1PQX[_2_]

Y schreef op 10-6-2009 :
[...]

you already gave one possible option: bad CMOS battery.
Other suggestion is the swap out the PSU, and see what happends then.

--
As Drent Binj altied Stoned Umdaj Tuschen Hunebedden Woont

Old June 11th 09, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

André wrote:
Y schreef op 10-6-2009 :
[...]

I agree with the swap the PSU. The board has no ATX12V 2x2 connector,
and the processor power comes from the 5V rail. You would want a power
supply with a strong 5V rail. To verify the voltage, a multimeter
is needed, as sometimes the hardware monitor readings are not accurate.

http://img.tomshardware.com/de/2003/...asus_a7n8x.jpg

Paul
Old June 11th 09, 06:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Paul wrote:

André wrote:
Y schreef op 10-6-2009 :
[...]

http://img.tomshardware.com/de/2003/...olk_athlon_64_
fx_athlon_64_vs_p4_extreme/asus_a7n8x.jpg

Paul

Thanks for both of your comments.

On closer inspection today, I find that the MB has at least 5
capacitors which are beginning to leak, with the fuzzy brown suff on
top.

I guess it is time to build a new system, as I built this one more than
6 years ago now. Unfortunately, as I keep reading that ASUS MBs are
not as well built/designed as they used to be, I will probably be
switching to a GIgabyte MB...but I will look at all the offerings and
do my homework.

Old June 11th 09, 09:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Y wrote:

Thanks for both of your comments.

On closer inspection today, I find that the MB has at least 5
capacitors which are beginning to leak, with the fuzzy brown suff on
top.

I guess it is time to build a new system, as I built this one more than
6 years ago now. Unfortunately, as I keep reading that ASUS MBs are
not as well built/designed as they used to be, I will probably be
switching to a GIgabyte MB...but I will look at all the offerings and
do my homework.

That will do it.

My A7N8X-E Deluxe still looks in fine shape. The caps are
all good on it.

The capacitor problem affected some companies worse than others.
It depended on their source of capacitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

You can replace the caps, or if you have a repair facility
that is willing to do it, you could get someone else to do
it for you. It all depends on whether you want to move on,
and get something newer. I retired mine, so I could get a faster
processor.

If you look at the Newegg reviews, you can get some idea
how well the Gigabyte stuff works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Subcategory=22

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Always check the CPU charts, to make sure the processor
you're getting, is supported.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...3038#anchor_os

Paul
Old June 14th 09, 08:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
mr deo

"Paul" wrote in message
Y wrote:

[...]

I think ASUS was immune, ASROCK wasnt, Dell and MSI (who made dell
motherboards at the time) was hit hardest..
MSI never accepted there was a fault, but they did warranty repair units for
up to 5 years when the boards they sold only had a 1 year warranty.

Dells still suffer with cap issues, but they are generally easy and cheap
to fix (if you can do the work yourself..)

Old June 14th 09, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

mr deo wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
Y wrote:

[...]

Abit had a class action suit filed against them, and the people
won. So Abit was hit pretty hard as well.

http://web.archive.org/web/200501230...ettlement.com/

Paul

Old June 15th 09, 01:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

mr deo wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
Y wrote:

[...]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E&N=2010200022
+50001314&Subcategory=22

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...N82E1681312838
7

Always check the CPU charts, to make sure the processor
you're getting, is supported.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...t_Model.aspx?P
roductID=3038#anchor_os

Paul

I think ASUS was immune, ASROCK wasnt, Dell and MSI (who made dell
motherboards at the time) was hit hardest..
MSI never accepted there was a fault, but they did warranty repair
units for up to 5 years when the boards they sold only had a 1 year
warranty.

Dells still suffer with cap issues, but they are generally easy and
cheap to fix (if you can do the work yourself..)

ASUS is NOT immune, as looking over the message boards on badcaps, plus
my own MB, will show.

Old June 15th 09, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Kevin

"Y" wrote in message
mr deo wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
Y wrote:

[...]

I have the same board and it has a few leaking caps as well. Shopping around
for new parts.
Kevin

Old June 15th 09, 10:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
mr deo

"Y" wrote in message
mr deo wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
Y wrote:

[...]

There was (at one point in time) sites that gave details on the caps in
question, you could research the mfgr and find out if the faulty caps that
hit the market was made by the supplyer who had those caps. ASUS did not
purchase caps from that supplyer and as such, they were indeed immune..

Just because your caps have gone bad doesnt mean that they were part of the
bad batch..
In fact, Electrolytic caps only have a lifespan of something like 4 years of
continual use!... (Unless you are running your pc 24-7 then it's not
continual)..
Some say that solid caps are a lot better, something closer to 20 years
worth of continual use, but the downside to those caps is that they can be a
lot harder to replace depending on the mounting type, and caps can quite
often open just due to poor design or power spikes.

A7N8X Deluxe & A7V880 Error Paul C Asus Motherboards 4 January 27th 06 08:39 AM
A7N8X-N Deluxe, WoW, Error 132 & Temperature oceanclub Asus Motherboards 2 December 14th 05 10:16 AM
POST error messages OldParrot Intel 0 November 28th 04 09:24 AM
lsass.exe error with A7N8X deluxe Ralphie Asus Motherboards 1 December 15th 03 01:51 PM
A7N8X Deluxe - How to slow down / pause the BIOS POST messages screen ? Arif Asus Motherboards 2 June 28th 03 09:22 PM