M3A Behaviour

Old September 30th 08, 06:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Murray McNeill[_4_]

Default M3A Behaviour

I just built a new rig with the M3A board from Asus. I chose it because I
wanted Hypertransport 3.0, but did not need SLI or crossfire capabilities.
One particularly strange thing about this board is what happens every time
you make a change in BIOS setup. After you choose save and exit, the board
immediately powers down for about 4 seconds, and then restarts. I have
never seen a board do this before, and wondered if it was normal? It
doesn't say anything about this in the manual, and no reviews I can find
mention it either, I'm concerned that my 500 watt power supply might not be
strong enough for this build, and is causing this. Anyone have any insight
to lend to this?

Old September 30th 08, 09:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
André, PE1PQX[_2_]

Murray McNeill heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :
I just built a new rig with the M3A board from Asus. I chose it because I
wanted Hypertransport 3.0, but did not need SLI or crossfire capabilities.
One particularly strange thing about this board is what happens every time
you make a change in BIOS setup. After you choose save and exit, the board
immediately powers down for about 4 seconds, and then restarts. I have never
seen a board do this before, and wondered if it was normal? It doesn't say
anything about this in the manual, and no reviews I can find mention it
either, I'm concerned that my 500 watt power supply might not be strong
enough for this build, and is causing this. Anyone have any insight to lend
to this?

I have the same issue here, also using the M3A board. As far as I know,
it does not hurt jour system.

Old September 30th 08, 06:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
RobV[_2_]

Murray McNeill wrote:
I just built a new rig with the M3A board from Asus. I chose it
because I wanted Hypertransport 3.0, but did not need SLI or
crossfire capabilities. One particularly strange thing about this
board is what happens every time you make a change in BIOS setup.
After you choose save and exit, the board immediately powers down for
about 4 seconds, and then restarts. I have never seen a board do
this before, and wondered if it was normal? It doesn't say anything
about this in the manual, and no reviews I can find mention it
either, I'm concerned that my 500 watt power supply might not be
strong enough for this build, and is causing this. Anyone have any
insight to lend to this?

I have a P5B - Plus MB and it does the same thing. It's the way the
BIOS works, as you say, when changes are made in the BIOS and/or when
powering off completely (PSU off also) and powering back up.

Old October 2nd 08, 01:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Murray McNeill[_4_]

Thanks for responding. It is strange behavior (to me) for an MB to power
cycle because of a BIOS change, but it does seem to be normal for this
board.
I did upgrade my power supply from 550 to 800 Watts to ensure everything was
getting enough power, and the system does run better and cooler with the new
supply. This board is a lot hungrier for power than my M2N that it
replaced, but that is possibly due to HyperTransport version 3 as opposed to
version 1.

P5A w K6-2 500 odd behaviour Olof F Asus Motherboards 3 October 13th 06 12:46 PM
incd odd behaviour Terry Pinnell Cdr 7 September 26th 05 04:11 PM
Odd mobo? behaviour....... Dave C. Homebuilt PC's 8 June 16th 04 10:37 PM
strange behaviour verbvee Compaq Computers 3 February 19th 04 09:07 PM
Strange TV behaviour Cassandra Nvidia Videocards 3 October 16th 03 02:37 PM